reddit vs discord

Status
Not open for further replies.
Discord is merely the Internet, made convenient. FreeBSD Forums are just as easy to scrape - what do you expect? All we can do is police ourselves on what we post and say in either place. Convenience and security are two sides of the same coin.

It does have people who pretend to know what Open Source is about, but make comments that betray the opposite. I wouldn't have a problem with that if they responded adequately to being called out on that. But the response was "This is a personal attack on me", and a ban from the FreeBSD Discord server - it was a 'helper' with ban powers. My personal opinion is, that user should NOT have been granted those powers. A bit like someone trying to become a uniformed police officer when it's abundantly clear they shouldn't.

I can't imagine needing to link, from here, to anything more than the previously given link.
You regularly post specific links to specific posts made on discord. It's those links I (and others) are talking about. Generic (promotional) links to discord or discord servers are fine.

I'll continue to refer people to The FreeBSD Forums, using clickable links.
That's not a problem, at all. Not sure why you're bringing this up as an argument.

Members of FreeBSD Discord should find no difficulty with the link above.
I have a discord account and I am a member. Those links just jump to somewhere in the history of a particular channel with NO indication which post was referenced. So you have to go through a wall of unrelated chit-chat and guess which specific post was being referenced. That makes them rather useless in my opinion. If the links provided a direct link to a specific post, and only that post, I would have less of a problem with it. But they're not, and they require an account and membership to be able to even view them.

The keyboard shortcut e.g. Control-K should present a dialogue:
1714402866802.png

– into which you can paste a link, for example:

1714402970952.png

– jumping immediately to the channel and to the linked message, the message should be central (between top and bottom).

(Arrows in the screenshots above are animated by Discord itself, not added by me.)

Discord is merely the Internet, made convenient. FreeBSD Forums are just as easy to scrape - what do you expect? All we can do is police ourselves on what we post and say in either place. Convenience and security are two sides of the same coin.

It does have people who pretend to know what Open Source is about, but make comments that betray the opposite. I wouldn't have a problem with that if they responded adequately to being called out on that. But the response was "This is a personal attack on me", and a ban from the FreeBSD Discord server - it was a 'helper' with ban powers. My personal opinion is, that user should NOT have been granted those powers. A bit like someone trying to become a uniformed police officer when it's abundantly clear they shouldn't.

I know I said I would not return to this thread, but the fact you took your aggressions from the Discord into the forums clearly shows immaturity and better mentioned than not.
by the way, no I am not a helper anymore, and no, I have not banned you, nor was I kicked from the helper team as I simply want to contribute and not deal with people who cannot behave.
(the ban) you caused that yourself considering the amount of policing and accusations you throw.

also how can a user publicly say such accusation in front of the page, yet new users aren't allowed to post without moderators approve?
Just wondering.

jumping immediately to the channel and to the linked message, the message should be central (between top and bottom).
The link already does that, no need for even more hoops to jump through. Doesn't change anything though, "the message should be central", thus you still need to hunt for the right one. I have a screen full of text, and the referenced post is somewhere in the middle of that? At least Reddit (or Forum) links actually link me directly to the referenced post, I don't have to scan the result to find the exact post being referenced. Discord links to specific posts are awful, not your fault. It's Discord itself that needs to improve this.

I know I said I would not return to this thread, but the fact you took your aggressions from the Discord into the forums clearly shows immaturity and better mentioned than not.
by the way, no I am not a helper anymore, and no, I have not banned you, nor was I kicked from the helper team as I simply want to contribute and not deal with people who cannot behave.
(the ban) you caused that yourself considering the amount of policing and accusations you throw.

also how can a user publicly say such accusation in front of the page, yet new users aren't allowed to post without moderators approve?
Just wondering.
Someone did ban me. Police do get questioned by the public if they overstep boundaries of safety enforcement. Whoever banned me did overstep in reaction to my openly questioning the maturity and behavior of people in the 'helper' role with ban powers, IMHO.

Someone did ban me. Police do get questioned by the public if they overstep boundaries of safety enforcement. Whoever banned me did overstep in reaction to my openly questioning the maturity and behavior of people in the 'helper' role with ban powers, IMHO.
I disagree. You were putting me in bad light actively on the chat before you got banned. YOU overstepped by not only doing a false report on me abusing power- when I did not even ban a single person except bots and people under 13 before, but also pushing an agenda that I was a malicious helper, when I never did I even delete a single message of yours. The fact I was saying things you dont want to listen to, did not make me a bad person.

Alll-in-all. Dont bring this into the forums. No one has the full context here.

Take it up with whomever banned you, or one of the other moderators. Police also get harassed by people taking videos out of context, or deliberately entice law enforcement for clout.

I disagree. You were putting me in bad light actively on the chat before you got banned. YOU overstepped by not only doing a false report on me abusing power- when I did not even ban a single person except bots and people under 13 before, but also pushing an agenda that I was a malicious helper, when I never did I even delete a single message of yours. The fact I was saying things you dont want to listen to, did not make me a bad person.

Alll-in-all. Dont bring this into the forums. No one has the full context here.
My report was substantiated, with screenshots. And I feel that you were not the only one abusing the 'helper' power and the very intent of the FreeBSD Discord server.

Yep, people who normally hang out on the Forums don't have the full context of what happened.

Well, there's a reason some activities and responsibilities are age-restricted. Not everyone is ready to go against that.

My report was substantiated, with screenshots. And I feel that you were not the only one abusing the 'helper' power and the very intent of the FreeBSD Discord server.

Yep, people who normally hang out on the Forums don't have the full context of what happened.

Well, there's a reason some activities and responsibilities are age-restricted. Not everyone is ready to go against that.
we're going in "he said", "I said". I frankly got no idea why you feel the need to bring this here. you got my discord handle, just friend me or PM me on here and we can talk all you want. I am not going to reply here anymore.

blackhole you're wrong but please, carry on, as if your imagination will change things; this direction first.
Ok, that confused me, then I realised you've changed your username.

What a great link. I can't view a thing without an account - so quite useless in my opinion. You're here promoting a "walled garden", which you see as the superior medium? From my perspective, it is you who is clearly in the wrong and you're here promoting it because you've already drank the kewl aid and bought into it... you are going to meet with some considerable disagreement. It's akin to posting a "Linux is better" thread.

Anyway, enough of that... so I'm simply "wrong" and quite arrogantly, you present no reasoning for such a statement... I see.

Thank you, and do keep it negative, it suits you so well.
and veiled personal attacks, snark and sarcasm? Is this how it is on discord?

and veiled personal attacks, snark and sarcasm? Is this how it is on discord?
Even worse than here, trust me. I got banned for openly questioning maturity of a 'helper' there. The 'helper' was unable to acknowledge their own lack of knowledge of Open Source, took getting called out on it as personal attacks (rather than a learning opportunity), and tried to bring irrelevant politics into the server. Another 'helper' stepped in and banned me for the questioning. In this very thread, it was suggested to me that I should take that up with the server's mods (above the 'helper' role, BTW). I personally think that's sound advice, even if it will take awhile to actually pull off.

What a great link. I can't view a thing without an account - so quite useless in my opinion. You're here promoting a "walled garden", which you see as the superior medium?
I get a lot of that - links from people who incorrectly assume that I have an account somewhere (Well, I do have a Discord account, even though I'm not logged in there all the time). At this point, I have learned to live with the reality of people making incorrect assumptions. I can't be grumpy about the fact that others don't know much about me, and make assumptions to fill the gaps. Gently correcting somebody else's incorrect assumption about you will get you a lot further than complaining how inconvenient it is that somebody did not realize you don't have a Discord account.

The 'helper' was unable to acknowledge their own lack of knowledge of Open Source
I had to wake up from my ghost reader momentum to just quote about this.
You know, things like that was my number one reason to give up on FreeBSD.
Because people holding power on certain communities creates false premises or just raise something against you because they "assume something" instead of learn, and some will even mock you.
Like entering in a irc channel supposed to help you making a port and you being mocked with "haha you're using gcc haha".
FreeBSD Discord server wasn't different on this regard, probably still the same I guess?

Quoting myself in Discord:

1714681599272.png

The previous comment from me, in Discord, mentioned rule-breakers without specifying a rule. I apologise for the omission.

Maybe most relevant here: the rule that's currently numbered 6.

I did respect rule 6 for one of the comments on this page, respect did not have the desired effect, now the rule is broken.

… I couldn't figure out who that was with the history on this board but I never heard of them.

It's sometimes necessary to change an identity e.g. post 412289 (currently comment 9) under Forum's username change.

Discord allows changes of nickname, but (as far as I know) not username. For example, I'm Cath O'Deray (Tube) and still grahamperrin:

1714683280843.png

– I used the pronoun field for Tube, and chose to retain the bunny rabbit avatar.

A well-known committer changed his nickname in FreeBSD Discord some time ago, not a problem.

Reddit allows multiple identities for a single person, but (as far as I know) not a change of username. There's freedom, within reason – see, for example:
  • What is Ban Evasion? – Reddit Help
Bans from r/freebsd are extremely rare, so I simply never thought to request Reddit-wide suspension (for evasion) of any potential offender.

The FreeBSD Forums disallows multiple identities – a good thing, IMHO, all things considered.

… Like entering in a irc channel supposed to help you making a port and you being mocked with "haha you're using gcc haha".

FreeBSD Discord server wasn't different on this regard, probably still the same I guess?

I can't comment on gcc, sorry.

For what it's worth, I do sometimes use FreeBSD Discord as a happy refuge after suffering in The FreeBSD Forums.

1714684676220.png

That's not fair on people there. I should not take, to FreeBSD Discord, the bad temper that's sometimes created by a tiny minority of people here in the Forums.

More often than not, I'll retreat (or observe silently over a long period) in response to misbehaviour.

I recall months of targeted harassment by someone whose account was, eventually, deleted (the deletion was not at my request – moderators here behaved faultlessly, very discreetly, with regard to the offender's background).

It is very rare and mostly from users who don't stay long anyway.
As long you don't say that something can't be ported to FreeBSD because it have certain blocks, right? 😅
(Which is natural something not being easily ported from one OS to another even with the source available because the OS properties, but some people just don't want to understand that.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back