reddit vs discord

A lot of people here know my feelings about reddit.

Every crazy, whacko in the world has a reddit account. He accesses it from the public library cause he doesn't own a computer himself. Or he uses his phone to make comments. You can tell by all the misspellings and wrong auto corrects.

He uses reddit cause he can write almost any nonsense and the moderators will let it slide. Attempt to correct or downplay them will get you banned.

I haven't been on reddit in maybe 10 years except when someone links me to something there and I unknowingly click on it. But I ran into my old sysadmin a year or two ago and was told he was there often--much to my surprise. When I asked why he said there were so many Linux users posting misinformation and total BS he felt a pull to fix that.

So I asked why again and he said he didn't know why cause reddit is a hopeless cause. He claimed half the users have never installed FreeBSD or tried it but quit cause they couldn't play their games. But they continue to post on the FreeBSD sub cause putting BSD down makes them feel better about their own miserable lives.

I ran into him again a few weeks ago and he mentioned he's no longer on reddit but, in a way, the FreeBSD sub had gained some better people posting there than in the past but, still, it has far too many of the crazies and you had to weed through all their crap. So he quit altogether. Good for him!

I signed up for Discord when it first started. I look in once in a while but find it's too much water cooler chat. I'd rather work on things than do that.

Reddit stuff is searchable and linkable. Discord is not (really). Therefore, if you could search for a thing, Reddit wants you to search for a thing. That way, the Reddit feed is full of "new stuff". If you put "old stuff" in their feed, people get angry that there's not shiny stuff in their feed and/or their feed is full of stuff they don't want.

Discord is basically IRC. Everything is constantly new. If something gets old to Discord, it goes in a rule or a FAQ or something. If is kind of old, you should get enough search terms to look in the right place, if not an answer.

I think of logging IRC in the same way people were concerned about Google buying Deja News: Maybe some things need to not be saved by the people who weren't there.

We used Google to search reddit
I think it is still the case, reddit is not meant for this kind of use but strangely people really like this site anyway even if the UI is awful.
That being said if you know where to look you'll find some good information in few particular /sub but as you mentioned it's a pain job and the time spent to dig is enormous.

IRC has archives by day that you can link to. Usually.
The other day I saw this and I was amazed how useful it is, and thought it would be a really good idea to have this for FreeBSD too.

About the initial question, there is always a social media that gets the hype, discord, reddit or mastodon it is just a matter of timing, in 2 years it'll be matrix who knows or may be mailing lists will strike back.
IMO there are way too much of them right now, it is just ridiculous.

… I haven't been on reddit in maybe 10 years except when someone links me to something there and I unknowingly click on it. But I ran into my old sysadmin a year or two ago and was told he was there often--much to my surprise. … he's no longer on reddit …

Is he in the same region as you? (I guess so.) Does he use the same catchphrases, with the same hatred of Reddit?

I rarely use Reddit for tutorials or howto's. I've visited the FreeBSD sub a few times on Reddit since I've started learning FreeBSD. There was some KDE related information that was useful. I noticed some familiar names in there from here, I followed their advice. I agree, a lot of what I was seeing in other post did not seem to follow the same maturity I find here. I mostly use Reddit for mindless consumption to switch from work mode to home mode haha. I just need a minute to not have to think and get my mind spun down from work. I've been lurking here for ~8 months. I've been able to find answers to all my questions by searching the forums and the handbook. I also enjoy the overall attiude and composure in this forum. It's refreashing to say the least. As a novice user and someone that is not a "tech guy", the FreeBSD Forums seem to emulate all the concepts that make the operating system great.

I still use IRC, I've learned alot from following along with the conversations on #freebsd. I found it interesting that #freebsd usually has almost double the folks in there compared to #macosx. Of course, I also keep an eye on #linux, I usually follow along for entertainment... I see folks eventually getting the help they need but not after being ostracized or receiving advice that is not intended to help but rather to show how much they don't know.

Discord... I can't seem to get aroung the phone verification requirement. I'm not comfortable giving my phone number. It appears this is a requirement that must be fulfilled in order to use Discord. For now, I will stick with IRC, mailing list, Internet queries, and these forums.

Is he in the same region as you? (I guess so.) Does he use the same catchphrases, with the same hatred of Reddit?
Yes. Same city.

We were pretty lock-step with how things should be done and I know he used to howl with laughter at reddit posts but I had to ban it at work cause there were days he would get so upset with the moronic postings it would ruin his day.

I thought he quit altogether years ago and didn't know he started posting again. At least he did till he said he quit a few months(?) ago. Not sure when he stopped.

EDIT: Oh, the whole company had catch phrases so I don't know what you mean. We were a pretty tight knit group and would throw phrases around for all kinds of reasons like justifying the way we do things.

He claimed half the users have never installed FreeBSD or tried it but quit cause they couldn't play their games. But they continue to post on the FreeBSD sub cause putting BSD down makes them feel better about their own miserable lives.

Can someone begin to identify the half who are solely gameplayers putting down BSD?

<https://old.reddit.com/r/freebsd/new/> | <https://new.reddit.com/r/freebsd/new/>

I can't see this half. drhowarddrfine we don't know when your sysadmin stopped using Reddit, but his claim seems to be quite out of touch with reality.

Attachments

• 1708883473785.png
    1708883473785.png
    438.4 KB · Views: 68
  • 1708883679571.png
    1708883679571.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 68
grahamperrin As I said. I don't know. And I won't visit your links to find out. As I said, he said it's better than it used to be but still a load of crap. I take his word for it because I respect him but I don't care to find out on my own.

… do you think there's anywhere outside the Stack Exchange network that might deserve an external link

BSD Cafe. Credit: draga79, Barista ☕👍

Why Lemmy for BlendIT? - BlendIT - BSD Cafe

Relevance: [Megathread] What is Lemmy, and how to join it? : Lemmy – "Lemmy is a link-aggregator, similar to sites like Reddit and HackerNews. …".

either from the Community section of the navbar, or somewhere else on the site?

Closed by me last year, someone might like to pick up the baton: Community and Support menus and content: update by grahamperrin · Pull Request #187 · freebsd/freebsd-doc.

I'm not sure if you have a way of pulling the stats from Reddit but looking at the 2023 data, https://www.reddit.com/r/freebsd/ must have answered far more (even two orders of magnitude?) than than the 8 FreeBSD-tagged questions on Server Fault, and a lot more than the 29 FreeBSD-tagged questions on Linux & Unix Stack Exchange.

Posts that have the answered flair/tag:
Not everything that's answered is marked as such. I never attempted to count.

Whether quality/usefulness of the answers (or indeed questions) is comparable between the sites is a different issue - they do seem to attract different "crowds" with different needs.

The FreeBSD sub has no rules :cool:

Attachments

• 1708892273999.png
    1708892273999.png
    26.3 KB · Views: 38
Interestingly the one external resource on the freebsd.org navigation bar is Community > Q&A (external) which links to Server Fault, part of the Stack Exchange family. This came up in a different discussion about the navbar where I was surprised so much prominence is given to a site where only 8 FreeBSD-tagged questions were answered last year! There's actually more FreeBSD activity at the Linux & Unix Stack Exchange site judging on the number of answered questions per year which are tagged as FreeBSD-related, I've picked out a few relevant Stack Exchange sites:

Code:
Stack Exchange site     2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 2020 2021 2022 2023
==============================================================================
stackoverflow.com        140  139  138  131   76   65   56   49   27   25   12
serverfault.com          110  108   66   52   53   29   26   22   12   12    8
unix.stackexchange.com    99  147  147  131  147   98   67   61   46   37   29
superuser.com             37   29   26   27   24   13   16    6    8    2    4

Those numbers are found by search queries of the form https://unix.stackexchange.com/search?q=[freebsd]+isanswered:yes+created:2023

Obviously these sites have different scopes: SO is meant only for programming questions, Server Fault is for servers in a professional environment only, while unix.stackexchange.com and the less used Super User handle a wider range of topics, more like these forums or the Reddit community. Activity on all those Stack Exchange sites has tailed off markedly, and I'm not sure any of them currently deserve a prominent external link in the site and forum navbar, but https://unix.stackexchange.com/ might still be worth a shot for someone with a suitable question.

It would be interesting to get a feel, at least a Fermi estimate to order of magnitude, for what throughput of FreeBSD questions get answered in other corners of the internet - I see grahamperrin has pre-emptively posted while I was typing this! (But my post will spend some time in the moderation queue so my reply won't be very timely.)

Not everything that's answered is marked as such. I never attempted to count.

A quick count: bash page down until first questions marked as "2y ago" appear. Search browser for "ago": 249 matches. Search for "2y ago": 69 matches (I might have bashed a few too many times...). Estimated number of answered questions on Reddit within past year: 249 - 69 = 180. Several times more than all the Stack Exchange sites combined! It's also not a like-for-like comparison as Stack Exchange counts a question as "answered" if it has received any replies ("answers" in Stack Exchange parlance), helpful or not to the OP, whereas on Reddit the thread needs to be explicitly marked as answered. That's not always done even when the replies did help the OP, so it's closer to having an "accepted answer" in the Stack Exchange model. In reality the numbers must be even more favourable for Reddit. I think it's fair to say a couple of questions get answered on average every day, so the true figure might well be more like the low thousands - and I suspect there are other venues (Discord? IRC? mailing lists?) with a throughput of thousands queries answered per year too. The Stack Exchange network, despite being very searchable, is not one of them.

Reddit stuff is searchable

Oh, this is new to me, search within comments 👍 for example:
Also new to me: sh.reddit.com. <https://sh.reddit.com/r/BSD/>, for example.

Mentioned a year ago – I just learned about the Reddit web UI sh.reddit.com. I like it, but what is its purpose exactly? : TheoryOfReddit. More recently, some people describe it as beta.

External <https://redditcommentsearch.com/> – Search Reddit Comments by User – does not work, I don't imagine things like this working again in the future.

I recently posted a lot of questions on Reddit and people became angry with my small questions.
Now I post them on Discord and get valuable answers rather quickly.
It's like Reddit & Discord attract another kind of public.
I do not use Discord at all - I just do not like it - same for Slack for example - so feel free to ask my directly here or by other sources.

I am also on Reddit but I hear You have bad experiences with it - sorry to hear that.

Every crazy, whacko in the world has a reddit account. He accesses it from the public library cause he doesn't own a computer himself. Or he uses his phone to make comments. You can tell by all the misspellings and wrong auto corrects.

I have a rather high end iMac and that's pretty much normal behavior. I'm done fighting it.
I haven't been on reddit in maybe 10 years
Then why do you pretend to know the current state of reddit?

Reddit Is where nobodies used to pretend to be somebodies before there was Twitter/X. It's very well organized and still useful for some things, like discussing TV shows. With any public forum you're going to encounter whackos; because 80% of people in the world are bonafide imbeciles. "10 years ago" I couldn't and wouldn't deal with Reddit at any level. Now it's a bit better because Twitter/X has drained off many of the nut jobs who feel then need "followers" to convince themselves that they're interesting.

Then why do you pretend to know the current state of reddit?
As I said earlier, sometimes I get sent links to read there and unknowingly click on them. So I get to view the reddit dung in all its smelly glory.

You don't get that low class behavior here on a daily basis

When you have such high quality places to ask questions--such as this forum, the mailing lists and irc--why in hell would you even think once about asking on reddit?!

As I said earlier, sometimes I get sent links to read there and unknowingly click on them. So I get to view the reddit dung in all its smelly glory.

You don't get that low class behavior here on a daily basis

When you have such high quality places to ask questions--such as this forum, the mailing lists and irc--why in hell would you even think once about asking on reddit?!

well reading a link here and there just brings you back to the same nut jobs you've encountered before. It's much different than it was 10 years ago; when it was pretty much the only game in town.

Back