reddit vs discord

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reddit Onion Service Launch : redditsecurity

An example – probably not spying:

1711997759276.png

Reddit is gonna see just the VPN provider's IP. So, let's see: Your ISP is Deutsche Telekom, it's the link between your home LAN and the VPN provider. If you did not use a VPN tunnel, Reddit (and any other site on the Internet) would see the Internet-legal IP address that DT gave you. But since you use a VPN tunnel, you connect to a VPN service first, and then the packets go from that VPN service to Reddit. Just try diagramming it out. And it looks like Reddit does not like the VPN service provider you use (for whatever reason).
It can be pretty difficult to figure out which VPN service providers are NOT blacklisted... But NOT putting a VPN service provider between yourself and Internet can help with troubleshooting.
I don't have a "VPN service provider". I'm running on static IPs that are assigned to me, and for which I also run the nameservers.
You know my addresses, I've often enough mentioned them here.

Not found by FreshPorts. Please, what is it?

I just cloned the repo and build it with cargo.
Then I use

to switch all reddit urls to my local instance when I come across reddit urls in search engines.

I don't have a "VPN service provider". I'm running on static IPs that are assigned to me, and for which I also run the nameservers.
You know my addresses, I've often enough mentioned them here.
Meaning, DT (Your ISP) gave you static IP addresses (for a fee, I assume). And you're running a VPN service right behind them. It's your private VPN server, so you can go to Paris and use wifi there to pretend that you're connected to your own LAN. And it looks like you only connect to the Internet via your own private VPN server...

It's easy enough to set up your own private VPN service that only you use. Nothing wrong with that. I'm just beginning to suspect that maybe Reddit filters out connections from private, unregistered VPN servers (which actually makes sense from an organizational standpoint). When connection request includes encrypted packets (like from a VPN service), Reddit gets suspicious, and starts filtering on their end.

Thanks, I have four five redirects that suit my preference for old Reddit. Screenshot below, I can provide them in text form if anyone needs it.

I probably need to edit one, or add a fifth, to work around breakage that occurs with share links produced by mobile Reddit. One from a few weeks ago: <https://www.reddit.com/r/truenas/s/xgxrdlsiTJ> – for now, I simply open these /s/ links in a private browsing window (I have Firefox configured to disallow Redirector in this context). Fixed.

Attachments

• 1712001082522.png
    1712001082522.png
    166.7 KB · Views: 22
Meaning, DT (Your ISP) gave you static IP addresses
No, one doesn't get much useful from these.
But there are lots of cloud providers where you get spare IPs.

It's your private VPN server, so you can go to Paris and use wifi there to pretend that you're connected to your own LAN.
Actually the other way round. I get spare IPs in Paris and pretend that my home is located in Paris. :)
Then I can run a private VPN server at my home, and don't need dyndns, because it runs on a static ip (which is located in Paris etc.etc.)

It's easy enough to set up your own private VPN service that only you use. Nothing wrong with that. I'm just beginning to suspect that maybe Reddit filters out connections from private, unregistered VPN servers (which actually makes sense from an organizational standpoint). When connection request includes encrypted packets (like from a VPN service), Reddit gets suspicious, and starts filtering on their end.
It shouldn't be possible to perceive this from outside.. Unless they query the javascript in the browser to tell them my internal routing tables and firewall settings. MTU is kept at 1500, the only thing visible is the prolonged ping times,

Well, Reddit.com is hosted in the United States, per Netcraft... And Reddit offices are in San Francisco - same area as Discord's offices, BTW.

That would mean that they hack into my private intranet, to figure out how it is designed.

If I do the same, hack into some company's internal network to figure out how it is designed, that is considered criminal activity.
It is always interesting how different laws apply for the mighty and the slaves.

At work, we have observed the behavior you shared - seeing the "oops you cannot load this page" - when we try to access Reddit via a VPN exiting from GCP and AWS.

My guess is that Reddit bans requests from a range of GCP and AWS IPs because they are typically used by bots, rather than individual users.

Just an IP ban, no hacking involved.

No, one doesn't get much useful from these.
But there are lots of cloud providers where you get spare IPs.

Actually the other way round. I get spare IPs in Paris and pretend that my home is located in Paris. :)
Then I can run a private VPN server at my home, and don't need dyndns, because it runs on a static ip (which is located in Paris etc.etc.)

It shouldn't be possible to perceive this from outside.. Unless they query the javascript in the browser to tell them my internal routing tables and firewall settings. MTU is kept at 1500, the only thing visible is the prolonged ping times,
Dyndns.org can help you run an Internet-visible service without a static IP address that you rent from your ISP. This is how you "Pick up a spare IP from the cloud". And if it's not Dyndns, there's others doing something similar.

That makes it very possible to run a private VPN server anyway - right behind the DHCP-assigned IP from your ISP. In which case, it's not out of question for the IP address (the one that dyndns monitors) to change every once in a while. And Reddit would treat the ephemerality of your IP addresses with suspicion. No need for javascript, Reddit will just monitor incoming connection requests on their own firewall, and examine it on a packet level, just like in Wireshark.

No need for your internal routing tables, or firewall settings, either. Reddit will just examine network packets from your incoming requests, and either deny the connection or allow it.

Well, I'll be... Discord and Reddit offices are just over 2 miles apart, in the same San Francisco zip code... you can walk between them.

At work, we have observed the behavior you shared - seeing the "oops you cannot load this page" - when we try to access Reddit via a VPN exiting from GCP and AWS.

My guess is that Reddit bans requests from a range of GCP and AWS IPs because they are typically used by bots, rather than individual users.

Just an IP ban, no hacking involved.
And people tolerate that??

And people tolerate that??
Let's see... Reddit sees suspicious behavior from an IP, they ban it, and would be within their rights to do that.

How else are they supposed to maintain their own foyer? You gotta have a quality door, and don't admit intoxicated people who will bang on the door and do damage once inside. 😩

Dyndns.org can help you run an Internet-visible service without a static IP address that you rent from your ISP. This is how you "Pick up a spare IP from the cloud". And if it's not Dyndns, there's others doing something similar.
No it is not.

In Seattle are a few old Xeon servers for rent. Each of them comes with four IPv4 addresses.
(But they're either too old or too expensive, and anyway not enough diskspace for my needs)

Dyndns doesn't work well, there is still a changing IP address and sessions will break. The point is to have the sessions run uninterrupted, with dynamic firewall rules.

That makes it very possible to run a private VPN server anyway - right behind the DHCP-assigned IP from your ISP. In which case, it's not out of question for the IP address (the one that dyndns monitors) to change every once in a while.
That's the problem with dyndns.
And Reddit would treat the ephemerality of your IP addresses with suspicion.
Rather the other way round. Reddit needs stupid users to buy the crap they offer. Stupid users run on dynamic IP or CGN as assigned from their local providers. Static IP are used by professionals who know what they're doing - these are not imbeciles, therefore of no use for reddit.
If they ban AWS (and people swallow that) - well, AWS is too expensive for my taste.

looks like

The foot of your screenshot:

1712005599640.png

The foot of the message, as it appears to me (with an empty User-Agent string, which is known to not work):

1712005847943.png

PMc did you crop your shot to remove the foot, or did the message not include the paragraph that's seen in mine?

Let's see... Reddit sees suspicious behavior from an IP, they ban it, and would be within their rights to do that.

How else are they supposed to maintain their own foyer? You gotta have a quality door, and don't admit intoxicated people who will bang on the door and do damage once inside. 😩
Yeah, but if you ban people from your dancefloor based on generalizations (like race or colour), you may get some problem.

I have my IPs for quite a while already, and they do not do suspicious behavior - but well, if people accept such, I don't care. The fault is mine, I shouldn't have been too lazy to learn Russian, otherwise I could now use VK which is more fun anyway.

PMc did you crop your shot to remove the foot, or did the message not include the paragraph that's seen in mine?

Yeah. I cut away the IP address, as it is of no interest here.

Oh, but thanks for mentioing it - there is actually something strange with that IP address: it is IPv4 (should be IPv6). Is reddit not capable of running IPv6?

… the message, as it appears to me …

Poor UX​

> Try logging in or creating an account here

> If you're running a script or application, …
>
> You can read Reddit's Terms of Service here.

Impossible. Both links are genuinely useless whilst my request has been blocked due to a network policy.

> … please file a ticket here.

Probably impossible in the same context. Screenshot below.

Attachments

• 1712006859307.png
    1712006859307.png
    67.4 KB · Views: 26
Bad UX:

> Try logging in or creating an account here

> You can read Reddit's Terms of Service here.

Impossible. Both links are genuinely useless whilst my request has been blocked due to a network policy.

You get it, they're morons.
The point is not how to somehow access their site, the point is how to get rid of them - or at least, not have hits from them in your favourite search engine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back