Raspberry PI 400 and 14.0 - not amused

Reinstalling firexfox didn't help. Using the one from latest packages didn't help either.
(In fact, the one from latest is older than the one in quarterly)

I have 14.0-RELEASE running on my RPi-400. I started with one of the release candidates, and then upgraded until I got to the release.

I run XFCE4 and firefox-esr. The regular firefox core dumped right away, so I tried ESR instead, and that seems to work, although my tabs did seem to die quite frequently. I need to test more.

Wild guess: That gadget has only 4GB of RAM - Firefox is an insane memory hog and often crashes or gets killed if it (again) filled up all available RAM/swap. This even happens on PCs with 32GB or more if you give Firefox enough time (few days).
Very slow swap (e.g. on SD-card) might also lead to firefox crashes...

I have 14.0-RELEASE running on my RPi-400. I started with one of the release candidates, and then upgraded until I got to the release.

I run XFCE4 and firefox-esr. The regular firefox core dumped right away, so I tried ESR instead, and that seems to work, although my tabs did seem to die quite frequently. I need to test more.
Definitely aslr related

Wild guess: That gadget has only 4GB of RAM - Firefox is an insane memory hog and often crashes or gets killed if it (again) filled up all available RAM/swap. This even happens on PCs with 32GB or more if you give Firefox enough time (few days).
Firefox ran perfectly fine 2 years ago. Here's a screenshot i took showing memory and cpu consumption.

I didn't even consider storage. I am running RockPi4B with 2GB RAM and that seems to be no problem.
Both are aarch64 so we should be able to narrow it down.
I am running off nvme.
I do see screen artifacts on the right third of screen occasionally.
Firefox-ESR 102
tmpfs enabled

What is your desktop environment? That is where I would focus. The program runs.
Have you tried different desktops?

I am going to say what you don't want to hear.
Running a desktop off microSD Card is ######.
You get what you pay for. No offense.

You want minimal platform or you want a desktop.
Pick one.

Firefox ran perfectly fine 2 years ago. Here's a screenshot i took showing memory and cpu consumption.
Didn't firefox default to the MUCH faster and lightweight (and less buggy) OpenGL renderer back then?
WebRender is much more picky about Hardware acceleration (OpenGL 'just worked' everywhere) and multiplied RAM usage for most usage scenarios.

So if you are really running without swap on only 4GB of RAM: that won't work with any of the bloated 'standard'-browsers. ESPECIALLY if you are running this off slow SD storage.
Raspberries are toys or "gadgets" at best - they were never meant to run full-blown DEs and bloated browsers. As Phishfry already said: you get what you pay for.

Pick one.
I don't run any desktop. I run Openbox which is a window manager.

Aaaaand it runs fine under L*nux. Must be FreeBSD related.

Limiting the amount of RAM your main user uses with rctl(8) can lessen the amount of times that Firefox crashes, as it runs under that user. For instance, your user could be eternalnoob. Despite using that as a group is overly vague, your main user needs to be limited in RAM usage anyway for all purposes, and leave room for the kernel to operate. This has done wonders for my computer, as it doesn't crash every time, but it still crashes when I have too many tabs open and get on a runaway intensive site. Still, when my computer, Xorg or Firefox crashes, it doesn't freeze up, where it requires manually disconnecting the power to my computer like it used to.

Firefox doesn't have a group at this time, however, gecko can be added as a group and made to be default with a bug report. https://docs.freebsd.org/en/books/porters-handbook/book/#users-and-groups. gecko as a group, /usr/ports/Mk/bsd.gecko.mk, could cover both Firefox and Thunderbird. I'm not able to get on this, at least not any time soon. Hopefully some of the many people who few are experts who use Firefox and/or Thunderbird work on this.

Thread limiting-and-dedicating-memory-cpu-usage.89545 mentions some details of the above, including how to use rctl.conf(5). Doing that causes a major improvement for Firefox performance as described above, although this process could use more information.

I would not do that. Use the best OS for your hardware.

I can't say OPi800 works any better on FreeBSD. I don't own one.

I need to test youtube and WebRTC to see if that blows up Firefox-ESR.

I have only done light desktop testing with RockPi4.

Xfce4 was complaining about alot missing in the metapackage.
Nothing needed. Power Monitor app in tray and other dbus junk.

arm boards are cool if you want to hack drivers, u-boot, play with i2c, spi, gpio
if you want a low power desktop get x86.

Pick one.
Yeah, maybe it's time for an upgrade.

"dd" your microSD contents to a USB 3.0 thumb drive. At least doubles your data transfer speeds, makes it way more responsive.

You can go steps further to have faster speeds than that still, but the thumb drive trick made it usable as a desktop.

Please don't interpret this as some kind of brag, but my RasPi 4B runs XFCE and Chromium and I've not seen it use over 2GB of RAM whilst streaming video from Youtube. I have the 4GB model.

I only use one screen with resolution 1920x1080 though. They do say it will do dual 4K screens but I doubt it...

usb sticks are not that much better than sd cards
and a lot crappier than emmc
'high end' usb sticks which have internal ssd controllers are good but expensive

usb sticks are not that much better than sd cards
and a lot crappier than emmc
'high end' usb sticks which have internal ssd controllers are good but expensive
I use the Sandisk "Ultra Flair" 32GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive. It was $10. 150 MB/s according to Sandisk

Initially I used a microSD 32GB Sandisk Ultra (48 MB/s according to Sandisk) which was $15 and it ran like a one-legged coyote, I nearly threw the Pi away, but it was suggested to use USB 3.0 and I felt like it made a big difference. It is usable now for basic tasks. Video meetings on Teams, definitely not, but a bit of VS Code, compiling small projects, and a few browser tabs, no problem.

the problem is that those are sequential read speeds
random writes are horrible
and yes, there are cheap usb sticks with very good read performance (compared with same price range sd cards) but they still suck overall if you try to use it as a sdd/mmc/hdd replacement

the problem is that those are sequential read speeds
random writes are horrible
and yes, there are cheap usb sticks with very good read performance (compared with same price range sd cards) but they still suck overall if you try to use it as a sdd/mmc/hdd replacement
I'm talking about the difference between irritatingly slow and choppy (SD card) and usable for browsing and writing forum posts (USB) - for the sake of $10, unless the OP has severe financial issues and that money could be put to more sensible things of course, I'd suggest investing that money and giving it a go.

Pretty good for the money, anyway. I have a very expensive laptop that just doesn't get used cos it's more fun to use the Pi as a desktop for casual use now.

TBH, with 7th and even 8th generation i3 NUCs being available used as complete systems with RAM+SSD for <100$ nowadays, there's no reason to pay almost the same for a hopelessly underpowered toy like a Raspberry if you want to run a desktop OS on it.
The NUC (or any other mini/micro-PC) offers proper networking (not connected over USB bus), proper storage (SATA and NVMe) and a first-tier supported amd64 CPU with a well-supported integrated GPU and also runs on ~10W for normal office/browsing workloads.
It's basically a case of "the right tool for the job" and simple math.

Back