Raspberry PI 400 and 14.0 - not amused

i have a pi400 running linux/ubuntu (of sd) and an amlogic s905x3 running linux/armbian from emmc. the cpus in both have roughly the same performance. while usable they both kind of suck as a desktop and are clearly inferior to a nuc or nuc clone.

Aaaaand it runs fine under L*nux. Must be FreeBSD related.
Linux Firefox uses the mozjemalloc memory allocator, which does not work under Freebsd:

The irony is it was originally based on Freebsd's jemalloc(3)

So yeah, whatever it uses when mozjemalloc is not supported must be pretty bad. That's everywhere except Linux and Mac, BTW.

Just wanted to add that I had serious slowness problems with FreeBSD on my RPi400 initially. E.g. the extract & install phase of pkg upgrade was particularly painfully slow when there were many packages to upgrade. However, it now seems to work quite a lot better after I changed to a different brand of microSD card (from Samsung to SanDisk, which is what Raspian is installed on). I have no benchmarks or anything to show for this, but I read somewhere that not all microSD cards are the same with regards to performance.

I'm now tempted to try it on a proper harddrive (SSD or whatever).

I appreciate the posts about alternative hardware altogether, and that perhaps FreeBSD simply cannot run as well on RPi as Linux does. I might just try different hardware at some point. However, I want to see if I can bring it to a point where the RPi is actually usable, because I think I'm quite close to this right now.

I use the SanDisk's too, they're the best.
I use SanDisk alot for SATA SSD and eMMC but for microSD cards I prefer Apacer.

SwissBit is number two maybe Sandisk #3

My feeling is why cheap out on something so important as storage. Especially when it is the sole storage medium.

Firefox is an insane memory hog and often crashes or gets killed if it (again) filled up all available RAM/swap. This even happens on PCs with 32GB or more if you give Firefox enough time (few days)

That's not my experience, with 15.0-CURRENT and www/firefox from latest on an HP ZBook with 32 GB of memory. Maybe take this to a topic that's not about 14.0 on a Raspberry PI 400.

Maybe take this to a topic that's not about 14.0 on a Raspberry PI 400.
The whole point of this thread is Firefox does not run on RPI400 on either FreeBSD 13 or 14 for this user.

I don't agree that Firefox is that much a memory hog but I think is is worth considering it is a bloated program.
I have Firefox-ESR running on the same arch as OP with only 2GB RAM.
I am able to playback RTC video but no HDMI audio.

My though is that Firefox is pushing the limits of scfb. microSD card for it is another issue.

eternal_noob
Did you try to run firefox --headless from an xterminal and see what exactly is crashing?

… I am working as a software developer 40 hours a week. I could easily …

… the bug tracker refuses to be intuitive and easy to work with.

Fair enough. eternal_noob sorry for being snarky earlier.

I have my own reasons for using Codeberg instead of Bugzilla for bug reports; and Codeberg instead of the FreeBSD organisation's freebsd-doc repo for contributions to the organisation.

Near-total avoidance of Bugzilla, by a member of the Bugzilla triage team, might seem peculiar. These are peculiar times.

I find Firefox-esr with webGL disabled works fr me on the Raspberry Pi 400.
I recently did a video showing FreeBSD 14.0 on the Raspberry Pi 400 and some of the problems with Firefox and then the Esr version working well.
There are timestamps on the Youtube video in the description box.

Firefox Problem:
View: https://youtu.be/thxnemnprPg?t=983

Firefox-esr:
View: https://youtu.be/thxnemnprPg?t=1045
I subscribed to your channel on youtube. And getting used to FreeBSD. In one of your videos i think you compiled everything to a gui X desktop. So sweet. Glad i know I'm with good people on this Wonderful OS

I subscribed to your channel on youtube. And getting used to FreeBSD. In one of your videos i think you compiled everything to a gui X desktop. So sweet. Glad i know I'm with good people on this Wonderful OS
Thank you for that!

Back