Raspberry Pi 2

So I've just received my Pi2 and the standard 10.1 image from the official site doesn't boot.
Should it?

Last time I built the source using crochet, but I thought it would be easier to use the official image.

Has anyone else got one yet and tried it out?

Well I replaced start*.elf fix*.dat and bootcode.bin and now get the colourful boot screen and red LED on the board, but nothing more.

EDIT: Forgot to say I replaced those files with the latest firmware files from github, which were updated 3 days ago.

Did exactly the same and also got the 'rainbow' screen.. Let me know if you have any luck finding a solution. I'll do the same of course ;-)

Cheers!

Rick

Hi all,

I also got to the "rainbow screen", but no further, and I'm also looking for a solution. I'll update once I've found one.

Tetragir

The Raspberry Pi 2 uses a different CPU, a Cortex-A7 (quad-core) with a different PERI_BASE for the ARM(not for the VC4 which was able to support 1GB of RAM on an old Pi since the beginning).
-- that is expected, even GNU/Linux has two different kernels, kernel.img for BCM2835, kernel7.img for BCM2836.

It is weird that an old blob (start.elf) does not print the rainbow screen (because all my VC4-side programs only needed updating bootcode.bin or adding the good RAM settings to my own one).

I found on the Raspberry Pi forums someone asking the same question and it was said the uboot needs to be updated, I'm not sure if this is a trivial thing for the devs or not, I suspect not and probably not on their top prioritories. I'm hoping it will be fairly soon, as I'd like to crack it open and start using it, I really don't want to use raspbian or some other inferior OS. So for now I'm just running my original Pi (which seems to crash every few days).

I found on the Raspberry Pi forums someone asking the same question and it was said the uboot needs to be updated, I'm not sure if this is a trivial thing for the devs or not, I suspect not and probably not on their top prioritories. I'm hoping it will be fairly soon, as I'd like to crack it open and start using it, I really don't want to use raspbian or some other inferior OS. So for now I'm just running my original Pi (which seems to crash every few days).

It should be not too hard as only the CPU has changed][(only CPU cache routines and company, every driver works the same without modification][(except changing the address base).

Plan 9 is already ported to the BCM2836, with GPIO,video,USB,and all!
Really, I see bringing FreeBSD to the Pi2 as a one-day effort.

I think its more of a case that a dev(s) would need to get one and make the changes required.

Fingers crossed they have one on order / just need to fire it up :)

Is anyone working or willing to work on this one? I can't help with implementation, but if any donation is required (for buying RPi 2), I could participate.

I'm pretty sure the Raspberry Pi 2 can not boot FreeBSD yet. As far as I have been able to determine, BCM2836 support and u-boot support are being worked on but are not ready. Competing priorities for the developer's time are unclear.

• Thanks
Reactions: pez
Dear Tobik,
Thanks for the links, however in the instruction provided in the second link, where did you got rpi2.img from? The truncate only limits its size.

No, truncate creates an empty image of the given size (it does this when the filename you give it does not exist). It is filled in the next steps.

Dear Tobik
I tried the instruction, freebsdFreeBSD comes up but its fails to load the kernel:
Code:
Kernel args: [null]
And it turns off. Is there anything that I am missing in the instructions?
Thanks.

HDMI issue has been fixed.

Build an image with a fresh -head and it will work.

The RPi 2 port is very new and under heavy development, a few things might not work yet, so, be aware of slippery floor.

Back