Solved problem output - raspberry pi - model b

I have been experiencing a issue with what I think to be system messages taking over the terminal for quit some time. I just noticed though that it only seems to happen when the PI has been on and working for some time. I do not have the messages now and have to reboot to get the Pi working again thus deleting them, they have alot of
MMC
and long string of I think hex address's
This basically takes over the interface (text) making it impossible to enter commands, often rebooting once this occurs. There are no virtual terminals as far as I can tell, that is, ALT F1-F12 does nothing.

I have gotten the output of dmesg here,
http://snaokwrx.com/class_site/dmesg_current.txt

The Drive is a 16GB Micro SD HC
with an adapter for the Pi.

What do I do?

Is this an overheating issue?

Is this an trash management issue, not cleaning the computer properly?

This computer is used as a server for my website and works fine as that, occasionally it is down, but most of the time this is due to a power failure here. I am kind of using this to learn and kind of using it to show work.

This is a Model B ( I think "+")

Raspberry Pi
c 2011.12

uname -a

Code:
FreeBSD snaokwrx.com 11.0-CURRENT FreeBSD 11.0-CURRENT 0# r284814: Thu Jun 25 29:00:47 UTC 2015 root@releng2.nyi.freebsd.org:/usr/obj/arm.armv6/usr/src/sys/RPI-B  arm

they have alot of
MMC
and long string of I think hex address's
This basically takes over the interface (text) making it impossible to enter commands, often rebooting once this occurs. There are no virtual terminals as far as I can tell, that is, ALT F1-F12 does nothing.
Sounds like a kernel panic to me. When it happens next time please take a photo.

FreeBSD snaokwrx.com 11.0-CURRENT FreeBSD 11.0-CURRENT 0# r284814: Thu Jun 25 29:00:47 UTC 2015 root@releng2.nyi.freebsd.org:/usr/obj/arm.armv6/usr/src/sys/RPI-B arm
Updating to a newer version might help. That one is pretty old.

Note that if you update the source HEAD has moved to 12-CURRENT. So now would be a good time to switch to /base/stable/11 (11-STABLE).

Thanks SirDice,

Took me some looking to appreciate what you where talking about (https://www.freebsd.org/snapshots/). No, I was just interested in the snapshot version at the time because there was arm support, I think. Anyhow the 10.3-RELEASE here; https://www.freebsd.org/where.html should do me fine. I think I will just set everything up again rather than upgrade, it is a fairly awkward setup I have and there is a good chance I will have to do things over and over again anyway.

Thinking about it though; Wow, what a pain in the -- ! Fortunately the only info on this piece of hardware is this website.

Have a good day,

a5'

OK, got some more info, sorry the stuff is difficult to read, phone camera doesn't seems to do well in a dark room with bright text, and no tripod.

uhid0: <USB Keyboard> on usbus0
smsc0: chip 0xec00, rev. 0002
smsc0.2: warning: bulk read error , USB_ERR_IOERROR
ugen0.2: <vendor 0x0424> at usbus0 (disconnected)
uhub1: at uhub0, port 1, addr 2 (disconnected)
ugen0.3: <vendor 0x0424> at usbus0 (disconnected)
smsc0: at uhub1, port 1, addr 3 (disconnected)

There is obviously more, although curiously the page is still served, while this is going on.
I think this "bulk read error" might indicate that my SD chip is old or needs to be replaced, maybe its just worn out.

anyway,
thanks for the help,

a5'

terminal2_sm.jpg

I see alot of problems with microSD cards. Some will only work in certain USB adapters correctly. They act fine during image burn but collapse on boot. I can take the same card burn it with another adapter and it works fine. I try and use UHS-1 or better cards.
I found an Apacer Industrial card but at $10 for 16GB it is not the cheapest but works reliably in all adapters and all my boards.

Your image looks to me like it is hanging on boot-reboot..

http://www.ebay.com/itm/231643954418?

Yeah, the Pi can be a bit finicky about SD cards. Definitely try another one, preferably a different brand and/or size.

I see alot of problems with microSD cards. Some will only work in certain USB adapters correctly. They act fine during image burn but collapse on boot. I can take the same card burn it with another adapter and it works fine. I try and use UHS-1 or better cards.
I found an Apacer Industrial card but at $10 for 16GB it is not the cheapest but works reliably in all adapters and all my boards.

Your image looks to me like it is hanging on boot-reboot..

http://www.ebay.com/itm/231643954418?

Actually, I am not sure I was clear, this happens while the computer is on and running. The big problem is that I cannot enter commands because the CLI is overwritten.

I would prefer to fix it though, and that seems like a good place to start, although if I am going to write a new drive and go through that process I may as well use the new (RELEASE) version.

So, thanks for the advice and the link, that looks like a good price to me. Found this while checking the brand.
http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail...GAEpiMZZMv2YtEh%2bLCbYri1HZHGIU6okP99srebAfo=

You mention this UHS-1 spec., I wonder what the details on the RPI model B cards are? Is it that most if not exotic cards will work in that computer or are there things to look out for. For instance on the mouser page (above) there are many specs to choose from.

Have a good night,

a5'

smsc0 is your LAN correct?? Is that the last console output everytime or is it variable? Do you fully power down and de-energize?

Must be rebooting?

smsc0 is your LAN correct?? Is that the last console output everytime or is it variable? Do you fully power down and de-energize?

I apologize, I am not a professional admin. My LAN is set up in a way that I can get it to work, as it were. I don't follow what you mean by de-engergize. I would have to check next time I get the message, although like I said the Pi is still on now.

a5'

Good to see the specs for the Apacer. I knew it was not the quickest I have but very reliable.

De-energize means fully pull the plug. No residual power. Totally powered down.

Weird problem. Hard to believe it is still serving.
Maybe the LAN is going bad. smsc0 is probably your RPi LAN. It is showing errors.
Do you have a USB hub attached? If so try without it.

I don't understand how you could be serving webpages when it appears the LAN is disconnected.
I see you have a hub with many devices. I would start there by disconnecting it. Have you added a new usb hub recently or other new hardware?

Are you behind a firewall or protected at all? Could you be hacked?
Can you SSH in and check logs?

Have you recently updated the system?

OK, just to be completely clear I am very amature.

So you have not powered down your just letting it reboot and carrying on with web serving?

I had not powered it down yet, but I have to now because it crashed. I took some more pictures but they are also blurry. Pretty much when it crashes or I have a power outage, I have to restart.

Weird problem. Hard to believe it is still serving.
Maybe the LAN is going bad. smsc0 is probably your RPi LAN. It is showing errors.
Do you have a USB hub attached? If so try without it.

I think it actually had stopped serving although I forgot to refresh my browser cache to check. You mean mulitple usb plugs, no.

I don't understand how you could be serving webpages when it appears the LAN is disconnected.
I see you have a hub with many devices. I would start there by disconnecting it. Have you added a new usb hub recently or other new hardware?

Are you behind a firewall or protected at all? Could you be hacked?
Can you SSH in and check logs?

Have you recently updated the system?

I am not sure it was, although I think I see this behavior fairly often when it still serves. I have not added anything new but it has been doing this for some time.

I am not behind a firewall, that is something I have not gotten to. I am aware this is offensive. I don't think I could be hacked because no one cares about my site.

I have not recently updated anything, maybe some minor changes to files.

thanks for your patience,

a5'

Are you taking pictures of output from the RPi using HDMI or serial console/UART output? HDMI does not show everything as far as boot messages.

Are you taking pictures of output from the RPi using HDMI or serial console/UART output? HDMI does not show everything as far as boot messages.

That was after the system was running for some time. I am using the SVGA plug into a TV. I think I am using only one virtual terminal which is probably the first one, but I thought maybe that was the problem, as I mentioned initially.

I have gotten the output of dmesg here,
http://snaokwrx.com/class_site/dmesg_current.txt

The Drive is a 16GB Micro SD HC
with an adapter for the Pi.

a5'

Looking at your log it really seems to have some issue with your sd card. I have not seen similar output from sdhci. I do not own a first gen Pi though. I forgot they used VGA.

I would think of rebuilding with a new disk and up to date version of FreeBSD.

Actually SVGA (mis-typed earlier), its like a single yellow RCA plug and it took me some time/effort to get it working. Yeah thats what I'm thinking too. New image and new card.

a5'

Maybe it is just a framebuffer problem with that video output type. I have never used analog out.

I would go to a serial/UART console before anything. Maybe that screen is just stuck on the composite video jack. I like the Prolific PL2303 ttl to usb adapter.

I don't have a serial adapter. I can look at the logs on the screen directly though.
I have put some effort into transcribing the picture I took before I cycled the power.
I put hyphens where I could not read.

Code:
-The following is the readout on-screen after a crash/kernel panic, taken with a smart phone-
- this is not a very easy to read photo, so there are probably many errors -

smsc0: warning: MII is busy
ugen0.2: <vendor 0x0424> at usbus0 (disconnected)
uhub1: at uhub0, port 1, addr 2 (disconected)
ugen0.3: <vendor 0x0424> at usbus0 (disconnected)
smsc0: warning: Failed to read register 0x424
smsc0: at uhub1, port 1, addr 3 (disconnected)
----0: detached
miibus0: detached
ugen0.4: <Logitech> at usbus0 (disconnected)
----0: at uhub1, port 3, addr 4 (disconnected)
Fatal kernel mode data abort: "Translation Fault (LT)" on read
trapframe: ----------
-------------------------------------------------------------

[ thread pid 1853 tid 100000 ]
Stopped at  str:en+--:  ldr  r12, [r4], #0x004

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

So that is showing MII (system bus) errors related to your LAN adapter (smsc0).
I would try a different SD card with fresh FreeBSD and see if this persists.

I also note your kernel crash seems to be attributable to 'pid 1853' which seems to be keyboard related. Have you tried another keyboard?

So that is showing MII (system bus) errors related to your LAN adapter (smsc0).
I would try a different SD card with fresh FreeBSD and see if this persists.

Yes, I think so.

I also note your kernel crash seems to be attributable to 'pid 1853' which seems to be keyboard related. Have you tried another keyboard?

You know thats a funny thing, because I wasn't sure I copied pid that correctly, but often the crash will finalize after pressing 'enter' to clear a line and also I tried another usb port for the keyboard. I will have to see if that makes a difference for a bit while I am getting the card.

a5'

Back