Problem installing Virtualbox

If portupgrade ask to configure the flags of a package just pause there and wait a response.
But also
Code:
 -c
     --config               Run ``make config-conditional'' before everything
                            for all tasks.
Run make config for every package, you set the flags of the package one by one and when you finish make config off all packages then starts to rebuild them :)

After finishing with all (i think) i tryied to install virtualbox from
usr/ports/emulators/virtualbox-ose && make
it brings me some type of error related to

Xinerama not found at -L/usr/local/include or Xinerama headers not found
Script "configure" failed unexpetedly
please report to.....blablabla...

And use
Code:
 tags. Be precise when you report errors, the 'blabla' doesn't help. We're not psychic.

yes, i was trying also to install firefox in order to use freebsd to copy paste the error but well... i couldn't install it that is the error:
Code:
 it starts to check thing, and put yes after the name of the thing. 
[  until : 2.0 gnome-config: not found
Package libpng12 was not found in the pkg-config search path. Perhapsd you should add the directory containing 'libpng12.pc' to the 
PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable Package 'libpng12' required by cairo, not found
configure: error: Library requirements (gtk+- 2.0 > 2.10.0 gtk+- unix-print-2.0 glib-2.0 gobject-2.0 gdk-x11-2.0) not met; consider adjusting the 
PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable if your libraries are in a nonstandard prefix so pkg-config can find them
==>Script "configure" failed unexpectedly.
Please report the problem to [email]gecko@freebsd.org[/email] [maintainer] and attach the "usr/ports/www/firefox/work/mozilla-1.9.2/config.log" 
including te output of the failure of your make command. Also it might be a good idea to provide an overvier of all packages installed on your 
system (e.g. an 0ls /var/db/pkg').
error code 1
stop in /usr/ports/www/firefox.
****error code 1
stop in /usr/ports/www/firefox.
]

And virtualbox shows this :
Code:
===> virtualbox-ose-3.2.4 depend os shared library : IDL-2.0 - found
===> Configuring for virtualbox-ose-3.2.4
===> Checking for environmet : Determined Build machine: freebsd.amd64,target machine: freebsd.amd64,OK.}
===> Checking for kbuild: found, OK.
===> Checking for gcc: Found Version 4.2.1,OK
===> Checking for as86: Found version 0.16.17,OK
===> Checking for iasl: Found version 20090521,OK
===> Checking for xslt : FOund, ok
===> Checking for pthread: found, OK.
===> Checking for libxml2: Found Version 2.7.7,OK
===> Checking for libxslt: Found version 1.1.26, OK
===> Checking for libIDL: Found version 0.8.13, OK
===> Checking for ssl: found version openssl 0.9.8k 25 mar 2009,OK.
===> Checking for libcurl: Found version 1.2.3, OK
===> Checking for zlib: Found version 1.2.3, OK
===> Checking for SDL: Found version 1.2.13, OK
===> Checking for XCursor: Found, OK
===> Checking for Xinerama:
   Xinerama not found at -L/usr/x11r6/lib -L/usr/x11R6/lib64 -L/usr/local/lib -lXent -lX11 -lXinerama -I/usr/local/include or Xinerama headers not found
Check the file /usr/ports/emulators/virtualbox-ose/work/virtualbox-3.2.4_OSE/configure.log for detailed error information.
===> Script "configure" failed unexpectedly 
Please report the problem to gecko@freebsd.org [maintainer] and attach the "usr/ports/emulators/virtualbox-ose/work/VirtualBox-
3.2.4_OSE/config.log" including te output of the failure of your make command. Also it might be a good idea to provide an overvier of all 
packages installed on your system (e.g. an 0ls /var/db/pkg').
Stop in /usr/ports/emulators/virtualbox-ose
***error code 1

Stop in /usr/ports/emulators/virtualbox-ose
console#

For firefox i see.
gnome-config: not found
I am not 100% sure but i think that you should install gnome-libs
Code:
cd /usr/ports/x11/gnome-libs
make clean
make install clean

required by cairo, not found
I see cairo on ports
Code:
cd /usr/ports/graphics/cairo
make install clean

For VirtualBox, Xinerama if i am right is support for dual monitor.
Xinerama not found at -L/usr/x11r6/lib
If VirtualBox ask for this lib and is not finding it, probably this is the reason that Vbox fails.
Try to install it.
Code:
cd /usr/ports/x11/libXinerama
make install clean

and then try to recompile VirtualBox

If i am wrong plz someone correct me

I don't know why i writed but my msge is not here :p so i write another , One good New more or less, using Xming, i could open Opera from freebsd in my notebook display.. =D, bad things are,
i could only install gnome-libs and cairo, mozilla continued installation until another error, which has to be with Xinerama,
i could not install Xineerama from ports/x11/xinerama, it gives an error and stops in usr/ports/libXinerama/work/libXinerama-1.1/src.

so virtualbox continues having the same problem , but now i have the same problem with mozilla,..

now i could use opera so i think i would have the possibility to copy msge errors and to paste them here, only problem i don't know how.

well thanks for your help everyday, and i apologised for being so boring

You write something, you select it with left click and then press #
Or go to http://www.pastie.org. Is an online editor. You write that you want and just press paste button. Will save it and you will see the url upstairs. Just copy it here.
System will understand by own that is url :)

:( i can't do it .... look what i want to do is:
i enter into : cd /usr/ports/x11/libXinerama/work/libXinerama-1.1 && make
then it gives to me a long error, so, instead of copying it by hand i would like to do sth like copy and paste to show you the error... i don't know if it is possible... :S

You select all the text and press the mouse roll.
This is the copy-paste on terminals (Except this of de because they have the possibility to use copy & paste)

rhin said:
:( i can't do it .... look what i want to do is:
i enter into : cd /usr/ports/x11/libXinerama/work/libXinerama-1.1 && make

By cding into the work directory, you may be bypassing some of the things the port is trying to do for you. Let the port do the work, that's what it's for:

# cd /usr/ports/x11/libXinerama
# make clean
# make

then it gives to me a long error, so, instead of copying it by hand i would like to do sth like copy and paste to show you the error... i don't know if it is possible... :S

To save the output of a terminal session:
# script /tmp/sess.txt
Then do your commands as usual. At the end, press ctrl-D or type "exit" to finish.
Everything will be saved to /tmp/sess.txt, which you can then edit or copy or upload.

wblock yes, you are right i did so,
Code:
# cd /usr/ports/x11/libXinerama
# make clean
# make
but i writted it wrong here xD

2) yes i could create the txt and i opened it with ee to verify and there is the code, now, what do i have to do to upload it?
(i don't have gui, but i do have the "remote gui" by Xming in my laptop/notebook)

rhin said:
2) yes i could create the txt and i opened it with ee to verify and there is the code, now, what do i have to do to upload it?

For short parts like a screenful or so, run moused(8) and you can cut and paste in the console. For longer ones, you could upload it here as an attachment, or put it somewhere else on the web like pastebin.

Sorry for taking so much time to write again, i was having exams at school, well i will try to attach here the txt

The error itself starts after... ===> Building for libXinerama-1.1,1
well thanks... now i will wait for your answers =D

Attachments

• sess.txt
    3.5 KB · Views: 185
The first error is:
Code:
Xinerama.c:32:33: error: X11/extensions/Xext.h: No such file or directory

So install x11/libXext from ports. It might be better to deinstall/install x11/xorg-libraries, which includes libXext.

If you installed the x11/xorg port, libXext should have already been installed.

sk8harddiefast said:
You mean to delete all the files from /usr/ports/distfiles and portupgrade download the source for every package again before rebuilding it?
What means IMHO?
Sorry for delay...
1. No. I meant to delete all the packages installed with
# pkg_delete -a
and then install latest packages with
# pkg_add -r <package>
and then update all outdated packages with
# portupgrade -a
without "f"
Although I would prefer to update ports once more and run
# pkg_version -vL=
and see if there outdated "monsters" like gettext, gtk, perl, python and other stuff like that mentioned in latest /usr/ports/UPDATING. If yes - upgrade them first.
Finally fix dependencies anyway with
# pkgdb -F
This would save up to couple of days (depending on what packages were installed).
In general lots of packages has the same version as ports (source) and IMHO there is no sense to spend days for building them again.
Good tool to update packages (pkg_upgrade) is included in package sysutils/bsdadminscripts

2. IMHO stands for "In My Humble Opinion" :)

zeiz said:
This would save up to couple of days (depending on what packages were installed).
In general lots of packages has the same version as ports (source) and IMHO there is no sense to spend days for building them again.
2. IMHO stands for "In My Humble Opinion" :)

There are more than a few of these forum threads where people spend days fixing packages in order to save the hours it would take to build ports. ;)

That's my experience and never otherwise. Anyway I wrote "IMHO" knowing that build-from-source-lovers do exist :)
So (again IMHO) the compiling is required if one wants to change default configs and knows what he is doing although for instance OpenBSD highly recommends to use only packages and don't compile at all.
Assuming config changing is not a case does it make sense to build anything from source if
- same version packages already were built for us;
- nothing specifically described in UPDATING happened right after latest packages were built;
- one doesn't use an exotic machine?
wblock said:
There are more than a few of these forum threads where people spend days fixing packages in order to save the hours it would take to build ports. ;)
Could you drop a couple of links where people spent days to install from packages? I am not about fixing of packages installed on the top of heavy mess: pkg_delete -a is simply the best for such cases :)
Exactly how many "the hours" (days consist of hours) it actually takes to build for example Xorg+Gnome?

Finally a novice usually installs and reinstalls many times to get familiar with FreeBSD and GUIs. If use sources all the time the learning could take quite a while...it could actually even to stop learning because of fear to start over :\

zeiz said:
Could you drop a couple of links where people spent days to install from packages?

No, probably not; please allow me exaggeration for effect. :)

I am not about fixing of packages installed on the top of heavy mess: pkg_delete -a is simply the best for such cases :)
Exactly how many "the hours" (days consist of hours) it actually takes to build for example Xorg+Gnome?

Really depends on the machine, but most are pretty fast now. Individual ports usually aren't bad, it's the big metaports that hurt. Additionally, many people install packages and then have to install the ports to upgrade or change config options anyway.

Finally a novice usually installs and reinstalls many times to get familiar with FreeBSD and GUIs. If use sources all the time the learning could take quite a while...it could actually even to stop learning because of fear to start over :\

Granted. But then seeing what the ports do is also pretty educational, as long as it's not hidden from view by automation.

wblock said:
The first error is:
Code:
Xinerama.c:32:33: error: X11/extensions/Xext.h: No such file or directory

So install x11/libXext from ports. It might be better to deinstall/install x11/xorg-libraries, which includes libXext.

If you installed the x11/xorg port, libXext should have already been installed.

Thanks i could do it work, but well then again another error, tomorrow i will see if i can post it. but for now xinerama is not a problem anymore =D

Back