Problem installing Virtualbox

OK, 1,2,3 is there any way of copying directly and writting here from freebsd? i am writting from my other pc(windows)... and it is a mess to copy exactly the same as it appeared... anyway, i could copy it. :)

4)i have a lcd samsung p2350n . default resolution 1920x1080, horizsync and vertrefresh i don't know , i found in the "digital menu" it brings 31.5khz 70hz NP
5) I suppose i have to do vi /var/log/Xorg.0.log and attach it here ... right ? (the same question as 123.)

i am trying to install vbox into a new disk(the latest version) and i have an error or sth strange... it enters to directory of vbox and it exits with status 2, [pass_dlls_this] Error2,[pass_dlls_order] Error2

how to "navigate" in internet from bsd...without graphic interface
For terminal browsers i know lynx and links
I suggest links!
i am trying to install vbox into a new disk(the latest version) and i have an error or sth strange... it enters to directory of vbox and it exits with status 2, [pass_dlls_this] Error2,[pass_dlls_order] Error2
On witch OS you are installing Vbox?
mm... bad news , my hard disk with the whole work(i had done vbox work and virtualized windows 7..i was finishing) died
Because if your hdd died, it cannot be freebsd i guess

no it died because i turn down the computer in a bad way i think, in freebsd, in the same bsd,i am using another disk, i installed freebsd, porstnap fetch update, and startes installing virtualbox, i have to do the same work again..

Maybe he didn't died. Maybe you should run fsck.
When the system close unexpectedly, system drops you on single mode to fsck the disk to fix hdd's problems
fsck is a system utility that is used to check and repair inconsistencies in Unix and Unix-based file systems.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fsck
Virtualbox should be installed at the end. First you should install xorg, compiler, wm, graphics drivers etc.
Virtualbox is a program. First you setup the system with all the appropriate tools, make a "portupgrade -af" to recompile everything to be sure that all packages are ok and when you see none error (when the job finish) then you start building the program.
This should be the right steps to follow because now is too logical to have more errors
This is my opinion. Maybe i am wrong or have nothing to do witch step you do first.
That is that i am doing

:( portupgrade -af, i don't know if i am doing sth wrong i put it on console
and it says command not found :S

and yes my teacher tryied to fix it, with fsck i remember a funny thing, when he entered there there is a message that says "Good Luck" very funny :p

:)
I am not sure if portupgrade is on base system
Install it from ports.
To search a package on ports do.
Code:
cd /usr/ports/
make search name=the name of the pkg
On this case portupgrade.
So
Code:
make search name=portupgrade
and on results you will see this.
Code:
Port:	portupgrade-2.4.6_4,2
Path:	[B]/usr/ports/ports-mgmt/portupgrade[/B]
Info:	FreeBSD ports/packages administration and management tool suite
Maint:	ruby@FreeBSD.org
B-deps:	ruby-1.8.7.248_2,1
R-deps:	db41-4.1.25_4 ruby-1.8.7.248_2,1 ruby18-bdb-0.6.5_1
WWW:	http://wiki.freebsd.org/portupgrade
So you cd on
Code:
/usr/ports/ports-mgmt/portupgrade
Code:
make config (if there are no flags for this package, will tell you nothing to configure)
make install clean

well. i could just use linx, i had it deinstalled so i added the package, it is dificult to use it but well, with it i entered to freebsd.org, as i said before and download the pkg of virtualbox, bad thing i couldn't install, i extracted it "with tar -xf", entered into cd /root/virtualbox-ose and make install, a lot of errors saysing sth like hd is full :S , no way it has 80gb.. and i have only freebsd installed xD

yes you are a genius :p jaja , it worked, well, at least until installing portupgrade, after that i tried again portupgrade -af and command not found =/

When you did the installation you choose default settings for your fs with option A (if i remember right). Right?
You should set the filesystem manually by creating more space for /root with option C
This was the first problem i had too when i come to Freebsd world for the first time :)
There are 2 solutions.
Reinstallation of system (you are on begin so you haven't too much to lose)
Or move the root folder on /usr/home/root and make a link with ln command on /
And this was my first post with exactly this problem :)
http://forums.freebsd.org/showthread.php?t=11826&highlight=root+space

ah yes, i could link folders in freebsd, one thing in "Pro" =P
ok, if you want then you could explain me how to use link, i think is better to reinstall the system.... i don't know what do you think, you are the one with more experience...mm... please tell me what do i have to choose while installing freebsd in order to not to make the same mistake or another :p

..answering to you :p,... yes i put "auto" while installing, first choose the partition" and then it creates like some partitions inside the first one...or sth like that,

well, i know your day is starting.. mine is ending .P i go sleep, i'll be back in some hours ;)

Code:
mv /root /usr/home/root
ln -s /usr/home/root /root
to move the /root on /usr/home/root
and ln -s to make the link
If you reinstall it create
Code:
5g /
7g /tmp
6g /var
4g swap
and all the other /usr
just give to usr all the remaining MB :)
should be fine
With C option. If you do a mistake just delete the wrong with D. Also is easy to do it because you will see the options. You will play 5-10 minutes with them and you will understand how it is going. Don't afraid to play with options, to create, modify or delete something. Just reboot and do it again! You have nothing to lose or destroy :)
Try to reinstall it to learn better the installation :) and to setup it better :)
you are the one with more experience
In fact i know less then 1% of other people on this forum.

i am reinstalling it , i have putted parts as you said...then i choose all(binaries and sources), but then i am trying to isntall all from CD/DVD an it says that not devices found!, it is crazy because the dvd is in the dvd reader ... and before i didn't have any problem to install it .. :S

Edit: i have solved it, re-connecting the disk and the dvd reader.

well after doing that(installing freebsd from dvd, with ports, etc), i configured network, and made:
Code:
portsnap fetch update
portsnap extract
portupgrade -af
it has been upgrading for hours... like 4hs... and i have to sleep, so i will make ctrl+c, and tomorrow i will continue, i hope it continues from the last thing it upgraded (last thing compiled or upgraded: screen 4.0.3_7 i don't know what is it, but it is the last thing i saw the options of isntalation and i interupted the operation)

No. Will start from beginning.
From command: man portupgrade
Code:
-a
     --all                  Do with all the installed packages.  Equivalent to
                            specify '*' as pkgname_glob.
-f
     --force                Force the upgrade of a package even if it is to be
                            a downgrade or just a reinstall of the same ver-
                            sion, or the port is held by user using the
                            HOLD_PKGS variable in pkgtools.conf.

Everytime you say portupgrade -af is checking the package. If there is newer version, download the latest version and install it. If not then reinstall the latest on the ports tree. After every package reinstallation/upgrade, update the ports tree for changes and go to the next package. And doing this for all your packages on your system starting from beginning every time.
This command is not update (not only this at least). Is recompilation off all packages on your system.
Also the good with portupgrade is that if a package fails to be installed is not stopping the procedure to fix the problem and start again from the beginning. Continues with the next package and when portupgrade finally finish will report to you witch packages failed to be compile (or skipped as dependencies of the failed package). If will see no report or error, then you know that all the packages were reinstalled without errors and none failed :)

IMHO there is nothing wrong to stop portupgrade: it cleans first the build interrupted then continue.
Portmaster manual even describes such a situation (it has -R option to skip already upgraded). Another thing is -af option. It is about to rebuild (from source) all the packages forcibly. For myself I would rather choose to delete all the packages and then reinstall them from scratch.

For myself I would rather choose to delete all the packages and then reinstall them from scratch
You mean to delete all the files from /usr/ports/distfiles and portupgrade download the source for every package again before rebuilding it?
What means IMHO?

emm... i couldn-t edit my last msg yesterday, but well i could interrupt the portupgrade because it only interrupted the port that was being updated, skipped this and continued with next so i left the computer on....and now i am continuing the installation, bad thing i have to go school, and left the computer on again, at this time i won´t be here to accept the make configs(the name of "make configs" is flags?), and it will get paused :S

What is from the scratch ?

Back