Plea to NVidia to add vulkan support to our graphics driver

Oh I disagree:

Screw Crapple. I have already decided never to buy their products again, but if I hadn't this would be reason enough.
Apple prohibited nvidia to deliver even that webdrivers, which is childish. That's why I've said both sides are wrong.

nVidia could have released unsigned drivers and forced Apple's hand, but they played it coy because there's more to it.

Anyway, FreeBSD isn't in the way of nVidia's strategic goals like Intel, OpenCL, Apple and macOS are so why not support them. More CUDA devs.

nVidia could have released unsigned drivers and forced Apple's hand, but they played it coy because there's more to it.
Loading unsigned drivers requires disabling System Integrity Protection after Macos Mojave:

Not the kind of thing you'd like to advise most Mac users to do.

You do if you want them to use your product and complain to Apple that it's stupid.
Macs are targeted at the vast majority of users who don't know what a GPU is and don't care. This precisely the kind of user that needs things like System Integrity Protection, lest the Net be even more awash in botnets.

And anyways, even if you were to manage to get all Mac users to complain somehow, I doubt Apple would care. Apple makes the vast majority of its money from selling Iphones and Iphone products. Any and all other products are of secondary importance at best.

Uh, if you're nVidia and selling CUDA GPUs to people on macOS who want to continue using CUDA, the users will do what they have to do to continue running CUDA, and if you're running CUDA, then they know exactly what a GPU is. You're looking at this from a 🖕Apple viewpoint. Apple would absolutely care if enough people who bought their most expensive Mac got really grumpy about it, enough to switch platforms. They made a gamble that there wasn't enough of them and/or that porting away from CUDA wasn't a dealbreaker. Maybe it worked out for them.

Anyway, nVidia and Apple seem to think balkanized GPU platforms like Metal and CUDA are good. ☹️ At least nVidia knows they don't have a captive audience and will support Vulkan.

Apple would absolutely care if enough people who bought their most expensive Mac got really grumpy about it, enough to switch platforms.
And I doubt they would notice. I guess we'll agree to disagree on this.

Anyway, nVidia and Apple seem to think balkanized GPU platforms like Metal and CUDA are good. ☹️ At least nVidia knows they don't have a captive audience and will support Vulkan.
We're in vigorous agreement here. The difference is Nvidia supports Vulkan and Apple does not as you point out. Just the fact that they're trying to lock you in to their own proprietary graphics API is enough reason to give them the finger.

Could we not get sidetracked and dilute malavon 's efforts here?
Feel free to create an Off-Topic thread.
Thanks. Don't worry, this was an old one of my topics I resurrected because it really fit. I like to think that it was our continual nagging for Vulkan that eventually got us this much coveted spot on the main page ;)
It doesn't really matter if it gets polluted a little.

Back