[PfSense] CARP protocol since FreeBSD 14.0

Hello there,

I'm new in this forum, sorry if my message is not in the correct category.

I'm using FreeBSD 14.0 with pfSense plus 23.05. I have 2 nodes (2 NetGate 7100 routers) in redundancy with CARP VIPs on several interfaces.

One node is master called "RT1" and the other one in backup called "RT2". Everything works well in FreeBSD 12.3, no issue.

Since the upgrade in FreeBSD 14.0 (with pfSense 23.01 and 23.05 version), my backup node RT2 is becoming randomly master during 2 or 3 seconds average. During 2 seconds, my both nodes are master. Obviously, it is not a normal behavior. In pfSense, this event is called "failover". But it is clearly an unexpected failover.

There is nothing in the kernel logs around these events, I already tried to reinstall my both pfSense 23.05 nodes, change the configuration, but the issue still occurs. The issue appears at least one time per day since several weeks just after the upgrade in FreeBSD 14.0 that uses pfSense 23.05.

I have a ticket opens with NetGate support that manage pfSense OS, but noting has been found on their side, nothing weird in the configuration, nothing in the logs. This event is completely random.

Did anyone else had a similar problem or can figure out where it might be coming from?

Thank you very much.

Hello,

Thank you for the information.

To show that you have indeed tried to get a solution from the forum or mailing list of the FreeBSD derivative in question

I have a ticket opens with NetGate since 3 weeks now, it is currently in pending status on their side. I'm really thinking that the issue I described is relative with the FreeBSD kernel since 14.0 with my device model.

Is it enough to get help on this forum ?

Thank you.

There's still the issue that FreeBSD 14.0 is -CURRENT, which is an unsupported development version here. We only support -RELEASE and -STABLE versions.

Back