Code:
ada0 932G GPT
ada0p1 800K efi
ada0p2 2G freebsd-ufs /
ada0p3 2G freebsd-swap none
ada0p4 10G freebsd-ufs /var
ada0p5 50G freebsd-ufs /usr
ada0p6 remaining space freebsd-ufs /home
Should something be changed in the partitioning?
Thanks in advance!

That looks fine, for a starting point. Other things to consider though, you may want to put /usr/local/ separate instead of /usr/. That will give you nice split of the base OS and ports/packages (ports/packages always use /usr/local as their base). If you do go for /usr/local/ you may need to increase / a bit more.

Having /home separated is always a good idea, as is /var.

For just the base OS I think 5GB should be enough, 50GB for /usr/local/ is probably more than enough but it's going to depend on how much you're going to install afterwards. I've built a complete desktop in about 15GB (base+desktop) so 50 may be a bit high but it's good to have a bit of room to spare. Especially if you're going to experiment with different Desktop Environments (GNOME, KDE, etc).

Then the resulting partitioning is:
Code:
ada0 932G GPT
 ada0p1 800K efi
 ada0p2 5G freebsd-ufs /
 ada0p4 10G freebsd-ufs /var
 ada0p5 50G freebsd-ufs /usr/local
 ada0p6 remaining space freebsd-ufs /home
Is it correct?

/ doesn't have to be that big. I think you might even suffice with 500Mb but that's stretching it a little. Even so, unless you don't mind unused diskspace I'd use 1G at most for root. Note: this only applies if you have /usr and/or /var separated which you did. And of course this also assumes you're not planning to mess with beadm.

If plan on building your own system (so: you plan on using /usr/src) then I'd also recommend a separate slice for that, so that you can mount it readonly which can prevent most nasty things from happening. Of course that's just based on me being a little paranoid ;)

My actual partitioning is:
Code:
ada0 932G GPT
ada0p1 800K efi    # fat32
ada0p2 5G freebsd-ufs /    # softupdates + journaled softupdates
ada0p4 10G freebsd-ufs /var    # softupdates + journaled softupdates
ada0p5 50G freebsd-ufs /usr/local    # softupdates + journaled softupdates
ada0p6 200G freebsd-ufs /home    # softupdates + journaled softupdates
Remaining space - free

# tmpfs entry in /etc/fstab
tmpfs    /tmp    tmpfs    rw,nosuid    0    0
Notes:
- I left free space so that I could increase a partition size when its space is (almost) entirely used.
- Please see Observations of #1.

Feedback is very welcome :)

I left free space so that I could increase a partition size when its space is (almost) entirely used.
Keep in mind that, in your setup, you can only increase ada0p6 (/home). You cannot add bits of random disk space to existing partitions. Partitions can be increased but only to adjacent free space. So you cannot use the free space to expand ada0p4 or ada0p5 for example. In order for ada0p5 to be increased you will first need to remove ada0p6, losing all data on that partition in the process.

Back