Opera 12.00 released

fonz said:
What platform? Most reactions I've heard are negative.

Comment modified. I referred to WebKit. Clearly, Opera was going to change using the WebKit prefixes. Opera CTO HÃ¥kon Wium Lie said as public justification:
"People are using WebKit prefixes for CSS properties and it’s been troublesome for other browsers to render those pages without supporting the WebKit prefixes. That has been part of the shift we’re seeing and it’s also been part of our decision making. What we see as very positive is that we will be able to take some of our best engineers and have them work on common code that many people will use — we will reach more people this way."

Petition to Opera Software: Open sources of Presto engine.

jb_fvwm2 said:
My apologies. My initial TODO ( to maybe fix the webkit segfault ) is replace ncurses-devel with ncurses and rebuild the two webkit on the other build machine. But I only schedule that way less often than visiting these threads...

Hmmm. This machine, xombrero, uzbl-tabbed, midori all segfault. Its build machine, runs them fine, after a library or two rebuild (libffi). The main difference is the nosuid /tmp probably causing it to segfault. All that's
needed is a method to have the nosuid temporarily removed to run the browser, or some equivalent fix...
edit.
the nosuid was not at fault... they still segfault

jb_fvwm2 said:
Hmmm. This machine, xombrero, uzbl-tabbed, midori all segfault. Its build machine, runs them fine, after a library or two rebuild (libffi). The main difference is the nosuid /tmp probably causing it to segfault. All that's
needed is a method to have the nosuid temporarily removed to run the browser, or some equivalent fix...
edit.
the nosuid was not at fault... they still segfault
Code:
midori [some very simple page, had a 404 today]
uzbl-browser "
xombrero "
Those do not segfault. The defaults do...

Rebuilt a slew of dependencies. All three ports segfaulted/exited after each one.
Code:
pkg_delete -f /var/db/pkg/webkit-gtk2-1.4.3_2
pkg_add webkit-gtk2-1.4.3_2  # from the other machine
*Now* all three work perfectly... [ Could have saved a half hour of typing
at the keyboard doing the latter task rather than the former.... ]

36020428.jpg

The last versions of Opera were very buggy. I used Opera as my main browser for years but now I'm using Firefox and it seems nice and quick when loading heavy websites.

I'm still using Opera (just checked, version 12.14 on this FreeBSD workstation) in addition to Firefox. I really love those old keyboard shortcuts of Opera!. Also, on FreeBSD Opera is my flash browser, for those occasions it is needed.

drhowarddrfine said:
Aren't the keyboard shortcuts the same as in Firefox and Chrome?

Most, but not all. Especially if you check the `enable single-key shortcuts'.

In addition, you can actually modify the keybinds in an easy and straightforward way. AFAIK you can't do that in either Firefox or Chrome.

drhowarddrfine said:
Aren't the keyboard shortcuts the same as in Firefox and Chrome?

No, they are not (I'm talking about the "Opera 9.2 Compatible" shortcuts here).
Things like "z" for back - it's so much easier than Alt-LeftCursor, IMHO.

Would love to see a browser without any keyboard shortcut, or any unwanted shortcut could be disabled.
Opera became my favorite browser when I discovered I couldn't use Firefox because of its Alt-key handler that conflicts with my custom xmodmaps for better layout, accessibility and AltGr key remapped to normal Alt (or should I hack Firefox source?).
Opera looks even better on Windows with the binary patch that disables hardcoded domain highlighting (otherwise, I had to hide the unusable URL bar with grey text on grey background from dark color theme).

tingo said:
No, they are not (I'm talking about the "Opera 9.2 Compatible" shortcuts here).
Things like "z" for back - it's so much easier than Alt-LeftCursor, IMHO.

And things like using keys [1] and [2] to see prev/next tab instead of [CTRL]+[PGUP]/[PGDOWN].

Since this seems to have become a general Opera thread:

http://my.opera.com/ODIN/blog/2013/05/28/a-first-peek-at-opera-15-for-computers

Only on Windows for now.

To sum it up: It's pretty much Chrome with an Opera logo. There are a few changes to Chrome (some might be okay), but it's missing *a lot* of features from Opera 12 (Not gonna list 'em here, look at the comments).

So it is as I've feared: The browser that sucked the least now sucks just as much as all the others.

I considered posting, but this pre-alpha version lacks so many features, I didn't bother. Plus it's only available for Windows and MacOS; No Linux and FreeBSD for now.

I don't fully agree with you, @Carpetsmoker. It's not "Chrome with an Opera logo"... It's MUCH WORSE: it's so rudimentary it looks like a 2008 Chrome preview!!!

No opera:config and a Chrome-like configuration instead? Mouse gestures that don't work? No menu bar? No customizable toolbars? No fit-to-width? No F12 menu? No easy way to disable images, JavaScript and plugins? No more bookmarks? No tab-stacking? No "confirm exit" message (just like Chrome)? No Back/Forward history menu? No closed tabs list (only a "last closed tab")? No Author/User mode? Seriously? All this, just to have a better support for pages that didn't want to support Opera (e.g. A**book)? *double facepalm*

Oh, and Blink is supposed to be a cleaned up/trimmed down version of Webkit, right? What's with the 24MB setup on Windows? TWICE as big as the latest release. The mail client is not even included by default anymore, for Pete's sake!

I hope they don't intend to keep it like that. Replacing an application I've been using for more than a decade will be very hard, if not impossible.

Up until now, I was still optimistic. Much less so now, as it really seems some features will be gone for good.

Last edited by a moderator:
Didn't look through this whole thread but, just to make sure there's no confusion, WebKit and Blink are the rendering engines for the browser - how stuff gets laid out on the screen - and not the browser itself.

The usage of "vendor specific prefixes" are only there to allow browser vendors to allow usage of their version of a property and are not there as part of any standard. An experimental version of a proposed standard property is its most common usage but there are plenty of never-to-be standard properties as well.

No web developer needs to use these things. I can see some doing so to present some adornment to Chrome that isn't available in IE or Firefox but won't be missed. We do that for IE all the time (IE users never know what they're missing).

Any web developer who uses a WebKit-only feature that is needed to make a site perform properly is an idiot. So there will never be a "WebKit only Internet" except among idiots.

Beastie said:
No tab-stacking?
Although I've been an Opera stalwart since the early naughties, I recently gave up and "just" went back to the least objectionable alternative (which would be Firefox). But if there's one Opera feature I'm missing, it's tab-stacking. As Jeremy Clarkson would say:
How hard can it be?
As it turns out, for Mozilla it's apparently very hard indeed. :(

I just installed Opera and have it set up the way I like it. So far none of the bugginess that Chrome had. I am liking it a lot.

I have version 12.15 and it crashes when accessing Facebook. Site preferences don't work and there doesn't seem to be a verbose output option. FreeBSD i386 10.0 installed on a laptop with Centrino Duo processors.

sossego said:
I have version 12.15 and it crashes when accessing Facebook. Site preferences don't work and there doesn't seem to be a verbose output option. FreeBSD i386 10.0 installed on a laptop with Centrino Duo processors.

10.0 is not out yet. You mean 10-CURRENT.

Back