Opera 12.00 released

@Carpetsmoker

Opera has more and more render issues, more and more sites does not work properly on Presto with newer releases.

This seems to be the best way for Opera, in short words, 'adapt or die'.

Of course it leads to the IE6 times when one rendering engine had big market share and everyone wrote pages with IE6 in mind.

Webkit is better in that case as its open source and standards compliant.

Maybe we should drop other engines altogether and use webkit only? ;)

... so we now wait for Opera announce that Opera is open source on BSD license ;p

Well, somehow I have my doubts that webkit-Opera will work the same as Opera. There are many small (but important) things that Opera gets right and most other browsers don't... We'll see ...

Also, I like Dragonfly. Webkit means the Webkit inspector (UI by Google, so it's completely unusable).
The Firefox built-in debug tools are sort of ok, but limited. Firebug gets so many basic UI stuff wrong it's laughable.

It's been my experience with the sites I use, that I have more problem with webkit browsers. The only good I can really see coming from this is if Presto becomes open source. Otherwise, this is second on my list of tragic days in computer. Number one being the day Digital was bought by Compaq.

I about fell on the floor when I read this. I regularly converse with Opera developers and hadn't a clue they were doing this.

Opera's market share has been dropping considerably lately, which is sad, because they were really innovative, but it's hard for a small company to keep up with webkit which has Google and Apple behind it.

I fear for Mozilla because now they are the smallest major browser company and if they were to lose their funding, particularly from Google, we'd be down to just IE and webkit, not considering the various even smaller browsers. And IE can barely qualify for the category of "browser" ;) .

Of course, I'm ignoring the fact that webkit is the rendering engine and not the browser itself.

roddierod said:
It's been my experience with the sites I use, that I have more problem with webkit browsers.
Any sites that don't work in webkit are the fault of the developers of those web sites and not webkit.
Otherwise, this is second on my list of tragic days in computer. Number one being the day Digital was bought by Compaq.

Agree!

I posted in the opera forums (rejoining today) about the change. Anyone know if a parallel version (webkit OR presto) would be available, instead of what is now planned, (...could be a possibility)?

jb_fvwm2 said:
Anyone know if a parallel version (webkit OR presto) would be available, instead of what is now planned, (...could be a possibility)?
Can't say for sure, but I think that's unlikely. Opera Software are dropping Presto because they claim not to have sufficient resources to keep developing it. That means that a third party (perhaps the Open Source community) would have to take over Presto development, but Presto is proprietary software and Opera Software have shown no signs of even considering releasing Presto with some kind of public license. I'd be glad if they did, but I'm afraid they won't.

The only browser I am able to find here, using webkit, (without a real thorough search) is midori. It segfaults rather than loads *Any* page... even after modifying its preferences.
Opera's failure to *continually* segfault (sometimes after reinstalling it per the same .tbz ) is one of the minor reasons it is the preferred browser here... and one of the reasons I continually have recommended FreeBSD as an alternative to Linux.
Please take that section above as a compliment to the browser and operating system, not as anything to the contrary!

jb_fvwm2 said:
The only browser I am able to find here, using webkit, (without a real thorough search) is midori. It segfaults rather than loads *Any* page... even after modifying its preferences.

Interesting ... I am using Midori since several months with latest version from ports and I would say that it is more stable then Opera (because of copy-paste issues).

Maybe You compiled it with some exotic GCC flags? (I use the defaults).

jb_fvwm2 said:
The only browser I am able to find here, using webkit, (without a real thorough search) is midori.
Have you tried Vimprobable? It's not in the ports, but it's so minimalist you can easily build it without any trouble.

xombrero also segfaults. That's three out of three unusuable because of some obsolete library linked to webkit, or ncurses-devel rather than the usual one, or... Not interested in fixing those as long as something lightweight that WONT segfault (presto-opera) is at the ready...

And a chance /tmp (nosuid) (SUJ) is crashing the uzbl sockets... instead of the above cause(s).

jb_fvwm2 said:
as long as something lightweight that WONT segfault (presto-opera) is at the ready...[/color]
But the question is how long that's going to last (if this Opera-WebKit thing is not an elaborate prank, which I'm still half expecting).

My apologies. My initial TODO ( to maybe fix the webkit segfault ) is replace ncurses-devel with ncurses and rebuild the two webkit on the other build machine. But I only schedule that way less often than visiting these threads...

drhowarddrfine said:
We're expecting Opera to completely switch over in 6-9 months as a guess.
Aw that's very long! I can't wait to test it. But surely there will be many RCs to test much earlier.

I hope they don't intend to discontinue the native FreeBSD version! :\

Regarding the decision, I'm not really shocked. There has been "rumors" on the blogs and forums for quite some time about Presto being "dead".

WebKit doesn't bother me as I already use Vimprobable from time to time. I just hope it will not be too heavy (perhaps V8 is better than JavaScriptCore but I have some doubts) and will not cause too many changes for the end-user in their day-to-day browsing.

Some comments on the Opera blogs remind me of this. Is it possible they want to make Opera more "compatible" then sell Opera Software ASA to a bigger company... like Google for example hmm?!

Beastie said:
Is it possible they want to make Opera more "compatible" then sell Opera Software ASA to a bigger company... like Google for example hmm?!
Don't know if Opera is for sale but I do know Opera felt it was necessary to join with the others in a common cause than try to compete with Chrome and iOS. That might be the only real reason or the front face of it.

Back