OpenSolaris is dead

oliverh said:
@matty well I read this, but the path for the future is clear. Oracle is a company of the 80s ...
Yes, contrary to SUN, Oracle actually likes to make money. Which is why SUN had to be sold in the first place.

I was a big fan of OpenSolaris because of ZFS. A lot of the people over on their forums kept reassuring people that everything's going to be fine and everyone should just be patient. That went on for months, but it was pretty clear to me that the sun was setting. It's sad that we're losing a distribution that could have had such a bright future.

As for ZFS, I think it's still licensed under CDDL. Continued development of ZFS for FreeBSD should be okay.

Yes, but Oracle will not release new code at once, but after a certain amount of time or maybe no code at all if the choose so.

Jago said:
Yes, contrary to SUN, Oracle actually likes to make money. Which is why SUN had to be sold in the first place.

In which time do you live? You can make money with openness too. Bullying with IP for example isn't necessary at all. It's 2010 now, not 1985. Btw. have a lock at their stocks and compare it e.g. with IBM. Oracle is on its way down ...

[ OpenSolaris & ZFS threads have been merged, as they're basically about the same thing ]

Opera for Solaris has been discontinued...

http://my.opera.com/desktopteam/blog/2010/04/29/the-setting-sun

The setting Sun

In order to ensure a consistently high quality browser across our most popular desktop platforms we have reluctantly decided to drop support for Solaris. This will allow our UNIX development team to focus all of their attention on bringing Opera for Linux and FreeBSD up to final release quality, meaning that a 10.5x release for these platforms will happen as soon as feasibly possible.

Please be assured that we have no plans to drop support for either Linux or FreeBSD. These are the preferred UNIX-like environments of our development team and hence fully supporting a browser on these Operating Systems is more straightforward.

As always, the Desktop team will continue to consider adding support for further environments and/or processor architectures in the future...

Woha, already 28! That means its hopefully considered stable/production ready within 12 months?

olav said:
Woha, already 28! That means its hopefully considered stable/production ready within 12 months?

Nope. It will only be included in the release of FreeBSD 9.0(not scheduled yet, I think). There is a point of no return at version 16 if I remember it correctly.

gilinko said:
Nope. It will only be included in the release of FreeBSD 9.0(not scheduled yet, I think). There is a point of no return at version 16 if I remember it correctly.

point of no return?

Huh?

Upgrading a pool to version X means that version X-anything cannot access it. But, this is the first I've heard of a "point of no return".

Version 19 is when all the pieces fall into place for an (almost) bullet-proof pool: l2arc removal, slog removal, txg roll-back (or is that 20?), etc.

But there's no "point of no return".

phoenix said:
Huh?

Upgrading a pool to version X means that version X-anything cannot access it. But, this is the first I've heard of a "point of no return".

Version 19 is when all the pieces fall into place for an (almost) bullet-proof pool: l2arc removal, slog removal, txg roll-back (or is that 20?), etc.

But there's no "point of no return".

The "the point of no return" is when upgrading your pool from say 13 to 14, and if something doesn't work quite right you can "downgrade" the pool to 13 again(this is on OSOL/Solaris at least). If I remember it correctly when you move to version 16 something is permanently changed in the pools metadata which makes it impossible reverse your pool upgrade and you can't downgrade your OS to an earlier version that doesn't support ZFS above your current pool version(as you point out).

So there is no problem upgrading, but if you suddenly need to downgrade then you might run in trouble.

Back