Open 3D Engine for games

While I certainly support the idea of having an unencumbered commercial-quality 3D engine, I'm a bit skeptical. Coincidentally yesterday I just read an article about Amazon's game division on Bloomberg which seems to indicate that Lumberyard is lacking massively compared to its competitors. There's a video about this article on YT as well, it's where I got the reference myself.
Lumberyard is/was also open-source AND royalty-free and yet there are no indie games using it. Not having a single finished game out there while the engine is 5 years old isn't exactly a massive endorsement.

The cynic in me would say that Amazon is just off-loading its responsibilities on other companies. Also, where's the money going to come from? Are these companies going to keep paying for development without a return on investment? Is the Linux foundation up to the task? A 3D engine is a really specific type of software. Time will tell.

However, reading the details on that article kinda makes me excited as well (although marketing). A decent modular design? CMake as build system. (Unit) testing! Check, check, check.
If code quality is good along with good performance and if they can keep up the development pace I can see this growing into something interesting for the open source community.

Additionally, Lumberyard is a fork of Crytek's proprietary engine (CryEngine). Crytek just keeps developing CryEngine and that's it. It's not at all clear who is actually supposed to work on Lumberyard/o3de.

Additionally, Lumberyard is a fork of Crytek's proprietary engine (CryEngine). Crytek just keeps developing CryEngine and that's it. It's not at all clear who is actually supposed to work on Lumberyard/o3de.
The Venturebeat article claims Amazon "has rewritten the code from scratch". I find that difficult to believe, but the claim is the code is completely unencumbered with patents or copyrights.

Huh? I merely thought Amazon bought do-whatever-you-want rights to the version of the code. At that time Crytek wasn't in the best financial shape to put it mildly, so that [the previous sentence] sounds plausible to me. Although open-sourcing engine is a bit of a stretch.

Some info about rewritten parts.
It does seem to be most of the Crytek parts... I am skeptical of the claims of the Verge article because non-technical people love the idea of a "clean rewrite", though those almost never happen, and for good reasons.

Back