autofs_enable="YES"
devd_enable="YES"
devfs_system_ruleset="system"
dbus_enable="YES"
sddm_enable="YES"
sddm_lang="en_GB"

If you run
ifconfig wlan0 up list scan
you *may* get a list of SSIDs within range. You may need to run this a couple of times.

Wireless-N 100

FreeBSD 13.0-p5 certainly worked with Intel Centrino Wireless-N 100 for someone in the CA region in January 2022.

HW probe of ASUSTek U31SD #a07366611d included:

1716520438987.png

I have:

create_args_wlan0="country GB regdomain etsi"

You should have whatever suits your region.

Try removing all WLAN-related lines from rc.conf, then rerun bsdconfig.
I've cleared the WLAN lines from rc.conf, added my domain (which is GB also)
create_args_wlan0="country GB regdomain etsi"
when I try and run bsdconfig netdev for wlan0, option 2 for DHCP - it momentarily flashed up the dialogue for attempting to get a DHCP lease, but never gets one.

Just to be clear the SSID name in my wpa_supplicant.conf should be the 'common' SSID name, like mine is "VodafoneCCD803"? It isn't the BSSID hex one?

Did you try

That should show you a list of available SSIDs in range.

Once you know you can see yours, you can attempt to connect to it.

What a lackluster attempt at support here.

These cards require firmware.

Have you looked at the manual for iwn(4)?

There you will notice a list of firmware that must be loaded for this older Intel card:
Centrino N-100 Wireless card.

I am assuming this was a typo?
[/QUOTE]
from pciconf I see the Intel Centurion Wireless-N 100

So instead of loading all those firmwares from the manual try loading only what you need.

For your card these settings would need to go in /boot/loader.conf
Code:
if_iwn_load="YES"
iwn100fw_load="YES"

Reboot and then you should see the iwn@ device appear in pciconf -lv.

Yes the handbook is correct. There are iwn and iwm wireless interfaces. iwn is for older cards
btw is there a typo in section 7.4.2 of the Handbook?
# sysrc wlans_iwm0="wlan0"

Firmware should load automatically. Here, for example, with iwm:

Code:
% kldstat | grep iwm
22    1 0xffffffff84719000    17314 if_iwm.ko
24    1 0xffffffff867d0000   1023e0 iwm7260fw.ko
% grep iwm /etc/rc.conf | grep -v \#
wlans_iwm0="wlan0"
%

… settings would need to go in /boot/loader.conf

Only if networking is required unusually early.

Use of /boot/loader.conf is discouraged.

I have the entries described now in my /boot/loader.conf and have tried running bsdconfig again. However, now the wifi device doesn't show at all in that tool

Did you try

That should show you a list of available SSIDs in range.

Once you know you can see yours, you can attempt to connect to it.
yes, thank you, I did try that. I've got the entry in my supplicant file, but that does not seem to be the solution.

yes, thank you, I did try that. I've got the entry in my supplicant file, but that does not seem to be the solution.
Well now that you know that your WiFi can actually see the SSID you want, it should be simple enough to connect to it.

In your wpa_supplicant.conf you need
Code:
network={
    ssid=
    key_mgmt=
    psk=
}

....not sure about any other parameters.

Well now that you know that your WiFi can actually see the SSID you want, it should be simple enough to connect to it.

In your wpa_supplicant.conf you need
Code:
network={
    ssid=
    key_mgmt=
    psk=
}

....not sure about any other parameters.
thank you, but I have those entries. My public SSID, pass and WPA

Yes, this is FreeBSD Forums, but I wrote my helpful documentation over in GhostBSD forums, yet it is still very useful to FreeBSD users for manually setting up a wifi configuration to connect to the internet.
NetworkMgr does edit these same 3 files for you. I am showing how to do the same manually. After editing the files, issue command
dhclient wlan0 or use other dhcp command.

https://forums.ghostbsd.org/viewtopic.php?f=64&t=526 EdiMax EW-rtl8192cu manual setup for FreeBSD and GhostBSD. Edit 3 files:

# 3 Files to edit/add configuration lines inside them
/boot/loader.conf
/etc/rc.conf

/etc/wpa_supplicant.conf

#/boot/defaults/loader.conf

Myself, as a new user to (FreeBSD / GhostBSD) I had problems getting online using
networkmgr
python program to configure WIFI, I read many forums posts, URLs, and wrote down step by step that a "
NEW USER, not GURU
" would go through, to manually get online using a WIFI chipset or usb dongle.
https://forums.ghostbsd.org/viewtopic.php?f=64&t=570 PCI RealTek rtl8188ce chipset. Use the commands as a guide template. Substitute your own WIFI chipset IDs, numbers.
https://forums.ghostbsd.org/viewtopic.php?f=64&t=374 You can easily use a USB cable and tether your Android cell phone or Apple Iphone to your computer for internet access.

Can you connect to your network to a phone? If so, maybe you could tether your computer to the phone to get you up and running initially.
The laptop is up and running, I built it as FreeBSD from a USB drive, downloaded to the same laptop when running Linux. I'd just like to get the wifi up and running to tweak the remaining bits of the system to my preferences.

The laptop is up and running, I built it as FreeBSD from a USB drive, downloaded to the same laptop when running Linux. I'd just like to get the wifi up and running to tweak the remaining bits of the system to my preferences.
If you tether to phone, you will be able to install various pkgs including xorg. Then you may find it easier to configure everything using something like
net-mgmt/networkmgr

Back