No internet post install

this was how I got access to install networkmgr. That process is reasonably simple and fine to use, but not my full time solution.
Seems odd that FreeBSD is proving such a headache...

Is it simply because of the driver? Have you thought of using a different WiFi card?

I was repurposing an old laptop to use for FreeBSD again, so I'm reluctant to add extra expense to do so. The chipset in the laptop (the Intel centrino n100) worked fine with Mint (literally the day before the repurposing).

I also think it is odd, given all other variables (the wifi connections all working fine, the USB tethering working fine)...

I'll remain patient though.

latest run of ifconfig wlan0 up list scan
vodafoneCCD803 mybssid 12 54M -72:-95 100 EP RSN BSSLOAD HTCAP WPS WME

then I run ifconfig wlan0 sussed vodafoneCCD803
then dhclient wlan0
this waits a while, no link.... giving up

Anything else I can try?

Having read only the first and the last (5th) page of this thread, confirms for me from my own experience that the Intel Centrino (6300?) is a horrible chip to use with FreeBSD.
Sometimes it works, other times not. It can suddenly stop anytime working without any change in the system config. (With Linux, it just works... not the slightest hint of a problem)

If ifconfig wlan0 scan shows something, then things will be probably fine.
Otherwise, it is easier to use a smartphone for USB tethering, or maybe an USB wifi dongle.

Having read only the first and the last (5th) page of this thread, confirms for me from my own experience that the Intel Centrino (6300?) is a horrible chip to use with FreeBSD.

If ifconfig wlan0 scan shows something, then things will be probably fine.
Otherwise, it is easier to use a smartphone for USB tethering, or maybe an USB wifi dongle.
it is the Intel Centrino n100 (in a 12 year old? laptop). Experience so far is, yes, pretty horrible. I've done the usb tethering thing via my phone, but it's not a preferred solution (data, battery on laptop). Do you recommend a particular USB wifi dongle, based on your experience?

I always did USB tethering with my T520.
As the notebook is the FHD variant with 16GB RAM and SSD, it is still pretty usable for surfing and office work when travelling.
But the wifi module whitelisting in the BIOS... 😤 you cannot just swap the wifi module.

latest attempts:

dmesg contains line at start:
module iwn already present!

root@deilbox ~# ifconfig wlan0 up list scan
SSID/MESH ID BSSID CHAN RATE S:N INT CAPS
vodafoneCCD803 20:b0:01:cc:d8:03 9 54M -68:-95 100 EP RSN BSSLOAD HTCAP WPS WME
root@deilbox ~# ifconfig wlan0 ssid vodafoneCCD803
root@deilbox ~# dhclient wlan0
dhclient already running, pid: 1636.
exiting.

however, I can scan several times before seeing my SSID.
and dhclient I can run several times and get the giving up message.

it is the Intel Centrino n100 (in a 12 year old? laptop). Experience so far is, yes, pretty horrible. I've done the usb tethering thing via my phone, but it's not a preferred solution (data, battery on laptop). Do you recommend a particular USB wifi dongle, based on your experience?
My ThinkPad X61 is probably around 15 years old. It has an Intel PRO/Wireless 4965 AG card, and seems to work when I need it to although I much prefer a LAN connection.

I always did USB tethering with my T520.
As the notebook is the FHD variant with 16GB RAM and SSD, it is still pretty usable for surfing and office work when travelling.
But the wifi module whitelisting in the BIOS... 😤 you cannot just swap the wifi module.
Isn't there something like a Middleton Bios which enables you to use any wifi module you want?

Isn't there something like a Middleton Bios which enables you to use any wifi module you want?
Yes, there is some BIOS with the whitelist disabled.
But this would require me to put in another disk/SSD, only to be able to install Windows to be able to run that. :oops:
But maybe I really should do that before I go to vacation 😮
Or just buy a new laptop... 🙄

Yes, there is some BIOS with the whitelist disabled.
But this would require me to put in another disk/SSD, only to be able to install Windows to be able to run that. :oops:
But maybe I really should do that before I go to vacation 😮
Or just buy a new laptop... 🙄
I think you can update the BIOS from a USB stick.

I think you can update using DOS 5+ although I'm still trying to create an IBM DOS bootable USB stick.

I think you can update using DOS 5+ although I'm still trying to create an IBM DOS bootable USB stick.

Talking about DOS, I just came across a video which shows how to build MS DOS 4 which has become open sourced and is available on github:-

and comes with a MAKEFILE

which uses nmake. Could this be buildable on FreeBSD?

I've just setup 14 on my laptop.

I'm getting no internet connection.

/etc/resolv.conf has :
nameserver 192.168.8.1

(only)

I can't find an entry for dhcp in /etc/rc.conf

I know this is probably obvious to more experienced hands and greater minds, but could anyone give me some pointers?

EDIT - I'm also not confident in my setup here. I may have skipped the ethernet connection assuming wired as the laptop is only ever on wifi. Clumsy, I know.

thanks!

Can you /sbin/ping 8.8.8.8? If so, this means your host's DNS is misconfigured.

Change /etc/resolv.conf to

Code:
nameserver 8.8.8.8

ping 8.8.8.8 - network is down

down is significant.

If your rc.conf lines are good (I lost track, sorry) – and if your router is suitably configured (comment 114) for what might be an unusual client, then try this:

ifconfig wlan0 up ; sleep 15 ; /etc/rc.d/netif start wlan0 ; sleep 15 ; ping -4 -c 2 freshports.org ; cat /etc/resolv.conf

It's a bit of a mash, sorry.

down is significant.

If your rc.conf lines are good (I lost track, sorry) – and if your router is suitably configured (comment 114) for what might be an unusual client, then try this:

ifconfig wlan0 up ; sleep 15 ; /etc/rc.d/netif start wlan0 ; sleep 15 ; ping -4 -c 2 freshports.org ; cat /etc/resolv.conf

It's a bit of a mash, sorry.
full output from that is this:

/etc/rc.d/netif: WARNING: $ipv6_enable is obsolete. Use $ipv6_activate_all_interfaces instead.
/etc/rc.d/netif: WARNING: $ipv6_enable is obsolete. Use $ipv6_activate_all_interfaces instead.
Starting wpa_supplicant.
/etc/rc.d/wpa_supplicant: WARNING: failed to start wpa_supplicant
Starting Network: wlan0.
wlan0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 1500
options=0
ether 78:92:9c:05:f4:e4
inet 100.93.81.165 netmask 0xffff0000 broadcast 100.93.255.255
inet6 fe80::7a92:9cff:fe05:f4e4%wlan0 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x3
groups: wlan
ssid "EE WiFi" channel 6 (2437 MHz 11g ht/20) bssid
regdomain ETSI country GB authmode OPEN privacy OFF txpower 30
bmiss 10 scanvalid 60 protmode CTS ampdulimit 64k ampdudensity 4
-amsdutx amsdurx shortgi -stbc -ldpc -uapsd wme
parent interface: iwn0
media: IEEE 802.11 Wireless Ethernet MCS mode 11ng
nd6 options=23<PERFORMNUD,ACCEPT_RTADV,AUTO_LINKLOCAL>
PING freshports.org (54.227.255.74): 56 data bytes

--- freshports.org ping statistics ---
2 packets transmitted, 0 packets received, 100.0% packet loss
# Generated by resolvconf
search www.btwifi.com
nameserver 86.189.0.94

I've got two entries in my wpa_supplicant -
one for the Vodafone home wifi
one for my D-link mobile wifi (which uses Smarty, which I think piggy backs on EE).
is there something I can do to set the priority of what it attaches to?

Back