New user to BSD, coming from Linux

Why isn't gtk2 an option for QT5CT??? Where is the /etc/environment file in FreeBSD??? I have to type export QT_QPA_PLATFORMTHEME=qt5ct every time I boot up.. Would really appreciate some help here..

kenny_w said:
Can somebody tell me how to enable autologin in SLIM???
Add auto_login yes and default_user yourusername to /usr/local/etc/slim.conf.

QT_QPA_PLATFORMTHEME
Add it to your wm session startup script, like .xinitrc, or some custom "gnome-session".
There is no need to add it system wide.

Thank you ILVXA, I'm still not sure how to get the gtk2 option in qt5ct though, I think I know the package I'm missing but I don't know the name of it in FreeBSD.. In Debian it is called qt5-gtk-platformtheme

I figured out how to edit the SLIM display manager for auto-login. I just need to make qt5ct work... I tried adding that line into .xinitrc but its not changed anything.

kenny_w said:
Can somebody tell me how to enable autologin in SLIM???

ILUXA said it all :D; however enabling autologin it's not the safest of the choices, so I rather just uncommenting the # default_user username string, and then uncomment #focus_password yes. This writes your username as default in the user_field on the Slim Screen, and focus the cursor on the password field, so as you just have to quickly type your password before entering Xorg.

I'll upload (on my files.fm account) some FreeBSD slim-themes I gathered online, all tested and working well. It's really easy to edit each of them and create your custom one. Download link: FreeBSD_slim-themes.tar.gz

Also give a look to another lightweight display manager x11/sddm, and to the nice-looking lebarondemerde's freebsd SDDM theme: x11-themes/sddm-freebsd-black-theme.

XDM is obviously the lightest, but it's highly customizeable if you know how :)

ILUXA said it all :D; however enabling autologin it's not the safest of the choices, so I rather just uncommenting the # default_user username string, and then uncomment #focus_password yes. This writes your username as default in the user_field on the Slim Screen, and focus the cursor on the password field, so as you just have to quickly type your password before entering Xorg.

I'll upload (on my files.fm account) some FreeBSD slim-themes I gathered online, all tested and working well. It's really easy to edit each of them and create your custom one. Download link: FreeBSD_slim-themes.tar.gz

Also give a look to another lightweight display manager x11/sddm, and to the nice-looking lebarondemerde's freebsd SDDM theme: x11-themes/sddm-freebsd-black-theme.

XDM is obviously the lightest, but it's highly customizeable if you know how :)

I've created I similar theme for SLiM too. I just do not ported it because SLiM is actually dead upstream and we do not know until when it will work, and so I do not want to add a new port in the tree in this situation.

Thanks! :)

Back