NEVER let Freebsd become like Ubuntu

Beastie

Daemon

I think GNU/Linux has too long muddied up UNIX philosophy and if we can almost see Linux as just another free OS (Like Haiku) rather than a UNIX-like OS then that will allow a true UNIX-like OS to take center stage and do things correctly.
^ This, x1000.

Remember, if BSD got their licensing shite together back in the day, Linux and the GNU mentality* might not have bloated out almost every bit of software created.
Nay, Linux wouldn't have existed in the first place. "If 386BSD had been available when I started on Linux, Linux would probably never have happened." -- Linus Torvalds, 1993
Maybe Hurd would've taken over its role as default kernel. Maybe the entire GNU thing would've had a totally different face. No one can really tell, but for sure it would've been a very different world.

For the record, I think the GNU license is extremely important and great. Whereas the sloppy dependency mindset of GNU developers is terrible. As it stands, typical GNU/Gnome style software is almost on par with closed-source software in terms of digital preservation!
For end-user products at most, some may argue...

kpedersen

Daemon

Nay, Linux wouldn't have existed in the first place..
Exactly.

I wonder what would have become the most common FOSS if neither BSD or Linux were around?
My vote would be Minix or Plan 9 but both were still quite encumbered back then. Perhaps GNU/Hurd would have finally found the sheer number of developers needed to "fix her up" ;).

Either way, I'm glad something appeared. I would hate to be stuck on Windows these days. That would be a very dangerous position to be in.

kpedersen

Daemon

why actually? many still use it as main OS.
Basically for all intents and purposes Windows is "complete". Its not going to get any better, they are just going to keep dressing it up, cause breakages and most of all, monetize.

These monetization schemes are going to get crazy, you just wait and see ;)

And the best thing is that the idiots just accept them!

Idiot User in 2025 said:
Of course I should have to pay £100 a month to use Windows. Microsoft needs to be paid for their good work and support
Idiot User in 2029 said:
I am saving lots of money by only subscribing to weekend-Windows. This means I only have to pay £250 over the year instead of £1000.
Idiot User in 2035 said:
No, I'm not moving out of the city. My work requires I use a computer and obviously I cannot stream my Windows OS outside the city limits.
All of us in 2050 said:
It sucks that I am not legally allowed to buy a physical computer to do work on and play with and stuff :(
Idiot User in 2065 said:
Kill him!, I saw him use a computer once, he is a criminal!