man page for apropos(1) references nonexistent options from page for man(1)

Environment:
  • FreeBSD 13.2-RELEASE releng/13.2-n254617-525ecfdad597 GENERIC
  • RPi 400

The listing for apropos(1), under the Description heading, after the options are listed, contains the following line:
The options -chlw are also supported and are documented in man(1). The
options -fkl are mutually exclusive and override each other.
I found that -c and -l were not documented in man(1). On further inspection man(1) stated that those were invalid arguments.

sh:
$ man -c
Illegal option -c
Usage:
 man [-adho] [-t | -w] [-M manpath] [-P pager] [-S mansect]
     [-m arch[:machine]] [-p [eprtv]] [mansect] page [...]
 man -f page [...] -- Emulates whatis(1)
 man -k page [...] -- Emulates apropos(1)
$ man -l
Illegal option -l
Usage:
 man [-adho] [-t | -w] [-M manpath] [-P pager] [-S mansect]
     [-m arch[:machine]] [-p [eprtv]] [mansect] page [...]
 man -f page [...] -- Emulates whatis(1)
 man -k page [...] -- Emulates apropos(1)

However, apropos does not reject them. -c is mentioned under the option -a[\CMD], and [CMD]-l is mentioned multiple times under the Environment section, but I did not understand what use they would be for from those sections.

apropos -l seems to run indefinitely, and apropos -c displays the help message without considering it an illegal option.

I would like to know if I have misinterpreted the information, or whether I am looking in the wrong place for info on these options.

I would like to know if I have misinterpreted the information, or whether I am looking in the wrong place for info on these options.
You're not wrong. It may have been left over from a previous incarnation and it hasn't caught anyone's attention. Report it as a 'documentation' bug. Select "manual pages" at "components".

apropos/whatis utilities (and the man page) come from mandoc suite and likely list the options that are supported by man utility from the same suite.

I would like to submit a patch for this, so I would like to know if my reading of the code at github is correct. From what I can garner:
  • -c disables the use of a pager, like less or more.
  • -l treats expression as a list of files to use as input and displays the full content of each page found.

Back