Solved Login Lockout

I recently just deleted some files from my users home directory and now right after doing that I cannot login with xdm. The files were .ICEauthority, .login, .login_conf, .profile, and .Xauthority. Will anyone confirm that deleting these files was my problem? (I looked at the contents from a different users account and the .login file is a blog in script so that could maybe be it. But, I cp'd them all back into the users home directory.) If not how to fix this login issue? I type my username and password and it goes to blank screen and returns back to xdm. Root logs in and the other user profile logs in too.

~/.ICEAuthority and ~/.Xauthority will be created automatically (the first existence depends on the tools you're using - I don't have that file). Therefore write access is needed - is that still the case?

~/.login, ~/.login_conf and ~/.profile are copies of the files in /usr/share/skel - they are what you get on a fresh user account (so you can re-create them manually).

But none of your deleted files are needed to log in - even into a X session with XDM. Must be something different you've also changed. Also there's a file ~/.xsession-errors that may point you to a problem.

Basics: Does your ~/.xsession file still exist? (Check: Did your content of that file rely on one of the delete files?)

… and do backups (at least of your HOME directory)…

Do not delete anything when you don't know what it's for.

Standard disclaimer: install the docs: pkg install {de,en}-freebsd-doc, replace de with your native tongue, point your favorite browser to /usr/local/share/doc/freebsd & enjoy reading.

You can add to the ALIAS section of /usr/local/etc/pkg.conf message: "query '[%C/%n] %M'", (or message: 'info -D' , & all-message: 'info -Da' ,) and read through all pkg message|less (resp. pkg all-message | less).

~/.ICEAuthority and ~/.Xauthority will be created automatically (the first existence depends on the tools you're using - I don't have that file). Therefore write access is needed - is that still the case?

~/.login, ~/.login_conf and ~/.profile are copies of the files in /usr/share/skel - they are what you get on a fresh user account (so you can re-create them manually).

But none of your deleted files are needed to log in - even into a X session with XDM. Must be something different you've also changed. Also there's a file ~/.xsession-errors that may point you to a problem.

Basics: Does your ~/.xsession file still exist? (Check: Did your content of that file rely on one of the delete files?)

… and do backups (at least of your HOME directory)…
Thanks for the info! ls -la in my users home directory displayed incorrect permissions for the "." to be the problem.

It's always encouraging to witness when new users get to the point where they start to solve their problems on their own. UNIX is a beast, but once you get the basics, you start to like it for it's clarity.

ls -la in my users home directory displayed incorrect permissions for the "." to be the problem.
Those are the permissions of the home directory itself. In other words /home/<username> or /usr/home/<username>.

Back