[Linuxulator] How to run Google Chrome (linux-binary) on FreeBSD

Thanks mrclksr, I'll try that next time.

EDIT Just tried it. It didn't work. Possibly because I'm just using openbox? Anyway, the other fix to install the fonts in chroot was quick and easy, so I'll leave it where it's at. But thank you for the suggestion, a little delving and I'm sure I could get that working too.

Thanks mrclksr, I'll try that next time.

EDIT Just tried it. It didn't work. Possibly because I'm just using openbox? Anyway, the other fix to install the fonts in chroot was quick and easy, so I'll leave it where it's at. But thank you for the suggestion, a little delving and I'm sure I could get that working too.
The symlinks for fonts in /usr/local/share/fonts aren't even necessary. Just make sure there is no /compat/linux/usr/local/share/fonts directory. It seems, If a Linux program from /compat/linux (without chroot'ing) tries to access a file, let's say /var/tmp/foo, the linuxulator first tries to resolve it to /compat/linux/var/tmp/foo if the file exists, otherwise it resolves to /var/tmp/foo.

That didn't seem to be the case for me. Without the /compat/linux/usr/local/share/fonts, it still didn't show proper fonts. But this seems like nitpicking on my part as it's easily worked around and your script solved my real problem, that of no sound.

That didn't seem to be the case for me. Without the /compat/linux/usr/local/share/fonts, it still didn't show proper fonts. But this seems like nitpicking on my part as it's easily worked around and your script solved my real problem, that of no sound.
It might be necessary to run fc-cache -r as user. If that doesn't help either, we leave it at that :)

I've already given my thanks, to both of you, but just want add to those saying it is a big thing. I'm fortunate enough to be able to own more than one computer, but some people aren't, and the lack of Netflix and others might be a reason for them to choose something else. Now, someone with one computer has yet another thing properly working with FreeBSD, thanks to you folks. You should both be proud. You did a good thing.

I got Vivaldi running thanks to this! Thanks!

I also could get "Toontown Rewritten" working, provided you use this third-party launcher and don't use Nvidia graphics (my desktop has Nvidia whereas my laptop has Intel graphics). Some things don't get rendered, but still faster than Wine.

5) Due to all sorts of problems encountered while using /compat/ubuntu as the chroot location, I've opted to use /compat/linux instead, although it's discouraged as it conflicts with CentOS-based ports. This means you need to remove any linux-c7* port you may have and avoid installing them afterwards too.

Re: LinuxJails - FreeBSD Wiki please, is there any future scope to use /compat/ubuntu instead?

Or have Chrome working with CentOS Linuxulator instead?

TIA

Re: LinuxJails - FreeBSD Wiki please, is there any future scope to use /compat/ubuntu instead?

Or have Chrome working with CentOS Linuxulator instead?

TIA
Yes, Chrome can indeed work with CentOS linuxulator. The problem is I had issues and couldn't get my mic working there. Also the process to set it up was more tedious and slower. That's why I tried with Ubuntu then.
Anyway, here is a link to one of the sources I cited, where you can find the steps to run Chrome under a CentOS 7 linuxulator: https://pastebin.com/1W9Fh3e9
Good luck!

Presumably, the wiki only describes chroot because the jail usage is very similar. It does not confuse these terms or use them interchangeably, note that it says (emphasis mine):
This page describes the steps required to configure Ubuntu-based Linux jail or chroot

… a wrapper script under /usr/local/bin/chrome to start /compat/linux/bin/chrome: …
A minor issue, using Open With with Firefox, configured as shown below:
2020-11-30 05:45:10.png

Chromium no longer opens Chromium

– the new Google Chrome tab window is not properly rendered and is not at the required address.

For example:

2020-11-30 05:43:15.png

Last edited:
Thanks for the guide, with 12.2-RELEASE I can get chrome working by using an alternate linux path (/compat/ubuntu) by using the following commands
sysctl compat.linux.emul_path=/compat/ubuntu

Thanks for this manual! I have successfully configured LinuxJail with Ubuntu.

Can anyone help me with the following problem? I have an Linux application that needs to interact with PCSC daemon. Currently I have installed and configured the pcscd directly in FreeBSD. And it works well.
pcsc_scan utility sees my smartcard. And I can use smartcard when connecting to remote desktop using rdesktop.

Is there any possibility to allow the Linux application inside the LinuxJail to also have access to the configured pcscd?

So, I just tried this on 13-Beta1. It works. A few notes. I just used openbox as my desktop, so I didn't need to create a .local/share/applications/whatever.desktop. What I *did* need to do was use mrclksr's script. I just used brave, not chrome this time around. So, I made a script /usr/local/bin/brave which is the content of mrclksr's script a few posts above this, but instead of /bin/chrome it ends with /bin/brave. Once again, many thanks for your work with this (and mrclksr's script, too). :)

Back