Solved link_elf_ctf_get(175): module /boot/kernel/linuxkpi_video.ko has no .SUNW_ctf section - kernel panic

I'm trying to compile my own FreeBSD kernel for my HP Pavilion g4 (2012) laptop. I have tried everything, including recompiling the GENERIC kernel to see if there was anything wrong in my configuration file. It turns out that, after I booted with the Verbose option enabled, I got the error message shown in the title, plus these other four lines:

Code:
failed to load CTF for linuxkpi_video.ko: 79
panic: malloc_init: type dmabuf with unsupported version 2020110501 <- this one appears without verbose enabled too
cpuid = 3
time = 1722712064

so there wasn't anything wrong with my configuration file, but with the module's code?

Well, if I try to boot without the i915kms kernel module I get the same error also.

And while recompiling the kernel without COMPAT_LINUXKPI makes it actually boot, i have video issues (screen tearing, unable to change screen brightness) because I can't load the video drivers without it and for some reason the WITNESS option gets enabled even though it's not mentioned anywhere in the configuration file.

Then, recompiling it again with COMPAT_LINUXKPI and without DDB_CTF gives the same result.

Here is the configuration file I'm using for the kernel:

and I'm also running FreeBSD 15.0-CURRENT.

I really don't know where to continue after this, any help is appreciated. And I apologize for the newbieness too :')

and I'm also running FreeBSD 15.0-CURRENT.

… no .SUNW_ctf section …

1722779001426.pngIIRC this is negligible.

Google became unreliable for searches of freebsd.org content a few months ago. You'll find discussion in the list archives for March 2024.

The fix might have been base bdc903460be4b6a729c1b7cde55963730c68cec4 at the end of the month.

panic: malloc_init: …

Please update your copies of trees before building (from source) and installing affected kernel modules from the ports tree.

The Porter's Handbook is outdated.

1722778327468.pngThe UPDATING file for the src tree does not cover the bump to 1500023. Pictured: the parent commit.

HTH

that makes sense, thanks for the answer

Please update your copies of trees before building (from source) and installing affected kernel modules from the ports tree.

how exactly do i do it?

also SirDice, i apologize for not reading that part

i can try doing it with the -STABLE or -RELEASE ones if it's worth it

Just try installing 14.1-RELEASE from an install image.
(Unless you really want to build your whole OS-base-install from source yourself.)

HP Pavilion g4 (2012) laptop
You seem to have a reasonably old laptop; you may not even need drm-61-kmod.
Please post the output of pciconf -lv | grep -B4 VGA

Erichans

Please post the output of pciconf -lv | grep -B4 VGA

Code:
vgapci0@pci0:0:2:0: class=0x030000 rev=0x02 hdr=0x00 vendor=0x8086 device=0x0046 subvendor=0x103c subdevice=0x1666
vendor   = 'Intel Corporation'
device   = 'Core Processor Integrated Graphics Controller'
class    = display
subclass = VGA

Just try installing 14.1-RELEASE from an install image.

i could try, but i'm willing to deal with what i got myself into first :)

Cath O'Deray

thanks a lot, it's now working with the custom kernel!! still wondering how WITNESS got enabled though, i'm guessing it's some default enabled for custom kernels

maybe if i comment a debugging-related line in my configuration it'll get disabled?

Thanks

… now working with the custom kernel! …

I suspect that previously, you would have encountered the same type of kernel panic with non-custom kernels such as GENERIC-NODEBUG or GENERIC.

drm-61-kmod aside: for me, the majority of version bumps have not required rebuilt installation of the driver for an NVIDIA GPU. I simply continued using FreeBSD Project-packaged versions that were built on inferior versions of base.

The bump from 1500022 to 1500023 was very unusual, the superiority did require me to build things such as x11/nvidia-driver-470 and sysutils/sysctlbyname-improved-kmod.

that's interesting, i remember seeing a list of things being planned for the 15.0 version of FreeBSD so i guess it could be that

well that was exactly what i was trying to find, it's not appearing here for some reason

1723110781302.png

right so i haven't made enough posts to be able to edit stuff

i also noticed that i can't edit them after they get approved by the mods, so yeah

Back