Keyboard output on text console is "awesome"...

I've found this post describing my problem, but there is no solution.
I can't switch to text console with Alt+ctrl+Fx from Xorg session.
If I kill my DM with `service xdm stop` then I can see text login prompt, but all key presses leads to abnormal symbols output (cat walking on the keyboard)
Sometimes I can see this in my /var/log/messages:
Code:
Nov  6 21:57:29 myhost login[1384]: in prompt_tty(): caught signal 3
Nov  6 21:57:29 myhost login[1384]: pam_authenticate(): Conversation failure
Nov  6 21:58:11 myhost login[1384]: 2 LOGIN FAILURES ON ttyv1
Today I've updated my FreeBSD to releng/13.2-n254638-d20ece445acf with no success in problem resolution.

What can I do more?

Attachments

• 20231106_223241.png
    20231106_223241.png
    1 MB · Views: 93
  • 20231106_223337.png
    20231106_223337.png
    751.1 KB · Views: 94
I've never felt so close to another soul, and yet so helplessly alone, as when I search an error, and there's one result, a thread by someone with the same problem, and no answer. Who are you, hishnik? What did you see?!

I've never felt so close to another soul, and yet so helplessly alone, as when I search an error, and there's one result, a thread by someone with the same problem, and no answer. Who are you, hishnik? What did you see?!
Problem just disappeared.

I've just made serial-line console for different boot types CSM/UEFI. Did you do something similar?

Are you using a serial console?
If yes, I've seen a similar thing when used a small ARM computer and an LCD with PWM-controlled backlight. The PWM was producing essential EMI affecting the serial connection.

Are you using a serial console?
If yes, I've seen a similar thing when used a small ARM computer and an LCD with PWM-controlled backlight. The PWM was producing essential EMI affecting the serial connection.
I always configure FreeBSD to use serial line as a secondary terminal. There could be problems with default video output, serial is my main backup system-access channel on all FreeBSD setups. But I think EMI affecting serial line is out of topic of this thread. What's wrong with keycodes? - the main question.

I haven't create a serial console. I've just seen the random characters on text consoles. I haven't done any changes to them; it's just whatever gets configured with a stock installation.

I've seen that kind of problem crop up on spinning rust (platter-based HDDs), esp. stuff that was heavily used before. The OS normally runs fsck on startup, which should fix it, but older hardware that was heavily used tends to have a higher probability of random errors like that even happening.

This system has a new Crucial M.2 SSD for the root file system and two new Crucial SATA SSDs for /home.

Another possible clue: The random characters seem to only appear on ttyv1, not ttyv0 or any of ttyv2 through ttyv7.

Back