KDE Plasma 5

I can change Date and Time.
kdepim installs only akonadi framework and supplemental libraries. You have manually install actual applications (see kdepim port description)
Thank you.
I will search for the date/time and as I remember they had/have the problem still.

I can change Date and Time.
kdepim installs only akonadi framework and supplemental libraries. You have manually install actual applications (see kdepim port description)
BTW in kdepim port is nothing about manually install actual applications:
KDE Personal Information Management suite.

blogio - The KDE blogging client
kaddressbook - Keeps your addresses on file
akregator - Feed reader
kalarm - A personal alarm message, command and email scheduler
kjots - A note taker
kleopatra - KDE Key Manager
kmail - Fully featured Email client
knode - KDE News (Usenet) reader
knotes - Popup notes
kontact - Brings together all the KDE PIM applications under one roof
korganizer - KDE Calendar and scheduling
ktimetracker - time tracker

WWW: http://www.kde.org/

Well, kde contains hundreds of new ports and even more complex ties between them, so yes,kde suite has a lot if such issues at the moment, it was added 2 weeks ago.
I understand :) and the update will be soon very soon...
Are you using KMail, please? How it works? It was my favorite email client after I stopped using Pine and swith to KDE (it was the first version of KDE, uh)

I understand :) and the update will be soon very soon...
Are you using KMail, please? How it works? It was my favorite email client after I stopped using Pine and swith to KDE (it was the first version of KDE, uh)

I enjoy KMail. The one thing I don't like is if you use multiple email accounts, you have to create an identity for each one and then modify the send settings for each email account to use the smtp configs that it's supposed to use instead of a set "default" smtp client. In essence, if you have a gmail account first and say, hotmail, no matter which account you use it will always use the "default" (first) gmail smtp servers. My biggest gripe along with no OAuth2 support for gmail. GNOME Evolution has had it since 3.19 I read, but for some reason the 3.24 build of Evolution for FreeBSD doesn't have it, unless I'm missing a dependency

I use Kmail, however FreeBSD's KDE is my first experience with it, I was xfce user. The only issue is akonadi, it fails to start the first time until you create directory for database. Run akonadictl start from console and check it complains about directory. Create it manually. Well, the idea to use mysql as mail backend seems unusual to me and akonadi framework doubles the memory consumption. I tried sqlite backend and it was an awful idea. First of all, port ships only config for mysql, you need manually tweak it, but even worse, sqlite is VERY slow, I'd say it's beyond any practical usage.

Is it safe to enable html formatting in KMail ? Default is plain text and virtually all mails are garbled.

I use Kmail, however FreeBSD's KDE is my first experience with it, I was xfce user. The only issue is akonadi, it fails to start the first time until you create director

Is it safe to enable html formatting in KMail ? Default is plain text and virtually all mails are garbled.
After update was okay. I did disable baloo and it works but it was still slower than GNOME 3. KMail is not as was on KDE 3. I do not know. I think I am too long on Fluxbox and GNOME and I deinstall KDE5 but it is a good work anyway.

BTW: I am using just plain text in email client all the time.

how do you change screen resolution ?
settings - system settings - display and monitor ,don't have any options there.

thanks that worked !

a strange think happened after kde5 in kmail is that when i send an email the receiver gets 2 mails of the same content ,anyone got similar problem ? sending 1 email receiver get 2 same emails.

Just a quick hint as I spent nearly 2 hours solving this: If you have configured custom PAM modules (like e.g. ldap or winbind) and find yourself unable to unlock the screen in Plasma-5, just add a standard pam config file /usr/local/etc/pam.d/kde, e.g.
Code:
#%PAM-1.0

auth       include      system
account    include      system
password   include      system
session    include      system

Zirias

Are you versed on OpenPAM? PAM is disabled on x11/sddm because @kde din't find a way of how to make it work with OpenPAM instead of Linux PAM.

IIRC, they have a example implemetation but none of them (two persons) know PAM and didn't have time to learn to implement it on x11/sddm.

If you are interested, you can say something at #kde-freebsd.

lebarondemerde unfortunately I don't think I can help there, I have no idea about differences between PAM implementations ... I gave up on x11/sddm immediately because it doesn't let you type in a username ... still might have a look later when I sorted out other problems I still have with this desktop installation.

I returned back to thunderbird and removed all PIM stuff from my desktop.

akregator - segfaults a lot.
kmail - stops to synchronize from time to time, slow (can think a lot opening previuosly dowloaded message even with mysql backend).
konqueror - ad lists not working, default (custom) starting page not loading, starts only once. Actually, all browsers without uMatrix are dead for me, so I didn't dig deep.
kaddressbook - works
korganizer - works, sometimes segfaults
kontact - embedded kmail forgets some settings (like imap folders). Maybe it's issue with kmail itself, for example my Sent mail can go to local folder instead of IMAP one.
Thunderbird + Lighting + CardBook works better and shares most libraries with Firefox I have anyway.

Can't say anything bad about plasma5. Probably, the only issue is panel may segfault if new widgets are added, but after that it's works solid.

Unresolved stuff I like to have on plasma5 desktop

1. No suspend option in UI
2. Powerdevil lacks 80% of its functionality. I really hate to poke intel_backlight from console.
3. sddm can't unlock kwallet automatically (I set empty password), probably due to PAM incompatibility.

I returned back to thunderbird and removed all PIM stuff from my desktop.

akregator - segfaults a lot.
kmail - stops to synchronize from time to time, slow (can think a lot opening previuosly dowloaded message even with mysql backend).
konqueror - ad lists not working, default (custom) starting page not loading, starts only once. Actually, all browsers without uMatrix are dead for me, so I didn't dig deep.
kaddressbook - works
korganizer - works, sometimes segfaults
kontact - embedded kmail forgets some settings (like imap folders). Maybe it's issue with kmail itself, for example my Sent mail can go to local folder instead of IMAP one.
Thunderbird + Lighting + CardBook works better and shares most libraries with Firefox I have anyway.

Can't say anything bad about plasma5. Probably, the only issue is panel may segfault if new widgets are added, but after that it's works solid.

Unresolved stuff I like to have on plasma5 desktop

1. No suspend option in UI
2. Powerdevil lacks 80% of its functionality. I really hate to poke intel_backlight from console.
3. sddm can't unlock kwallet automatically (I set empty password), probably due to PAM incompatibility.
It is ad because FreeBSD didn't accepted Trinity Desktop (KDe 3.5). It is still maintained:
Trinity Desktop Environment

Now, I have some missing fonts: In the system settings, the left side menu doesn't have any captions, and the password field on the locked screen also only shows whitespace. I can't remember having changed anything, this just started today -- anybody else experiencing this?

well, that definitely didn't change, but for the records, it's
Code:
LANG=de_DE.UTF-8
LC_CTYPE="de_DE.UTF-8"
LC_COLLATE="de_DE.UTF-8"
LC_TIME="de_DE.UTF-8"
LC_NUMERIC="de_DE.UTF-8"
LC_MONETARY="de_DE.UTF-8"
LC_MESSAGES="de_DE.UTF-8"
LC_ALL=

Have you guys found a resolution for sound? I have onboard audio and an external USB DAC that I use. Not seeing phonon, only for kde4

Okay, some progress was made with those packages. It detects a "default" audio device, and it now sees I have my USB device, but no way of switching to it, only the "default" exists as an option

Yep, this is the limitation, phonon outputs to default device.
Personaly, I have the same scheme, onboard audio and USB DAC. As I use latter for music, I have onboard audio as a default and pointed deadbeef to DAC's OSS node directly.

Is there an easy way of switching devices? Right now on my existing Linux install that I'm looking to switch off of, I point everything to my USB DAC and then on occasion point an application away to my onboard which plays out of my speakers

I'm using kde5 and gkrellm is showing high temps for cpu0 and cpu1 (average of 77.4c). Not sure if this is the right place to ask this. Is this related to the power module not being loaded? Does anyone have any idea?

Back