KDE Plasma 5

I just compiled x11/kde5 successfully, but I'm wondering how to start it? I did /usr/local/bin/startkde and I get:

Code:
$DISPLAY is not set or cannot connect to X Server

I have xorg installed, am I missing a package or another port I'm supposed to compile?

I just compiled x11/kde5 successfully, but I'm wondering how to start it? I did /usr/local/bin/startkde and I get:

Code:
$DISPLAY is not set or cannot connect to X Server

I have xorg installed, am I missing a package or another port I'm supposed to compile?

Do you have .xinitrc? Add there exec startkde; then you can start the DE with startx from console.

How it works? That we lost during porting ? (Stuff like brightness control, sleep and other low level things made differently on linux)

How it works? That we lost during porting ? (Stuff like brightness control, sleep and other low level things made differently on linux)

I haven't had the chance to try sleep or brightness, don't have that in a VM or on desktop. I did notice the sound backend is missing (phonon gstreamer?)

I haven't had the chance to try sleep or brightness, don't have that in a VM or on desktop. I did notice the sound backend is missing (phonon gstreamer?)
I'm building x11/plasma5-plasma at the moment, but process is slow (my poudriere machine is VM). Even if x11/plasma5-plasma looks like 'minimal KDE environment' it's about 500 ports and I'm sure I saw phonon among them. BTW, I found only 2 references to HAL and they can be disabled in port options. Interesting, how/if they made automounting, all DEs lack native automounting under FreeBSD. Also, I enabled WAYLAND for ports I build, so I suppose my first startup will be a nice crash. :)

I'm building x11/plasma5-plasma at the moment, but process is slow (my poudriere machine is VM). Even if x11/plasma5-plasma looks like 'minimal KDE environment' it's about 500 ports and I'm sure I saw phonon among them. BTW, I found only 2 references to HAL and they can be disabled in port options. Interesting, how/if they made automounting, all DEs lack native automounting under FreeBSD. Also, I enabled WAYLAND for ports I build, so I suppose my first startup will be a nice crash. :)

I thought I saw phonon in there too, but alas, when I look at audio backends I see nothing, and there is no sound in my VM :/ I think once I figure it out though, I'll have to consider switching to FreeBSD and using this, every LTS I use for Linux is insanely unstable as the OSes get more ingrained systemd utilization. I trust FreeBSD will not have many of these issues with the cleaner codebase. If you get sound working, you should say what you did :) I find wayland + KDE Plasma on Linux even being awful so I would expect the same on FreeBSD. Only DE I see working great with Wayland is GNOME, and it's been since I think 3.24 that it has felt quite stable

I've noticed that phonon backends are on their own and not listed as dependency for anything, for example multimedia/qt5-phonon4-gstreamer Probably, it should be installed explicitly. BTW, is phonon4 is latest phonon ? I mean, everything is 5 - KDE, QT5, but phonon is only 4. Poor lad :(

Is the kde5 meta-package in the quarterly or latest repos? I found a simple tutorial involving pkg but i can't seem to find it. :confused:

Is there a known issue with building from ports? I pkg remove'ed everything with qt and kde to try to make sure the problem wasn't me, but building the kde5 meta package fails building kauth due to libpolkit-qt5-core-1.so missing.

You can have other backends though, yes? And still get audio? I'm not super smart with GUI setups

You can have other backends, as in, install either the gstreamer or the VLC back-end separately.

So far, though, it appears I have not been smart enough to get either of them to work. I can play a gstreamer test stream just fine, and applications like Dragon Player happily put sound out, though, so I wasn't too eager to find out what's wrong.

Other than that, I gotta say, this is quite damn solid. I fiddled around with Smaragd, too, just to see if it works -- I had to do some CMake magic to make it pick up libintl, but it works like a charm.

At last, plasma has compiled. Looks pretty good, even without all applications. Probably, I should add dolphin at least.
For sound multimedia/qt5-phonon4-gstreamer should be installed
Battery widget is broken without sysutils/upower
Account plugin is broken without sysutils/accountsservice
Automounting has signs of working somehow even without HAL, at least, UFS pen-drive was mounted, but not ntfs one. Need to dig how it mounting at all (how it getting rights to do this as I start DE from console with common user?) .
Powerdevil is completely broken :(

360 MB used after start. Pretty heavy, I must say.

I think, it's usable. *Hugs Konqi*

abishai

You can went to #kde-freebsd at Freenode. There is where you find the people responsible for the port, and they are always interested in feedback and testers.

Hi,

Its awesome news but, I'm not the only one who has some issues with phonon audio backends where vlc and gstreamer does not work at all. Maybe there will be some updates in near future. I've used x11/kde5 instead of x11/plasma5-plasma.

What problems do you have with backends?
I couldn't get working audio when PulseAudio (somehow it was default) was compiled in without Alsa/SNDIO etc...
So I've decided to check what is working and in the middle I found that event sounds are not installed "BIG LOL". So finally I can't say that PulseAudio doesn't work and I'm not going to recompile whole projects which took 5 hours. ZFS+Snaphost before KDE5 has been installed. However, missing audio event sounds are not part of x11-themes/plasma5-breeze but Ogg event audio files are included in x11-themes/plasma5-oxygen. So I waste a lot of time on compilation. When I got it working I immediately abandon Alsa and stupid PulseAudio. FInally I am happy with SNDIO, and my surprise was that Konqueror on html5test.com shows me that there is audio support while Youtube won't play any audio to output device, for that I found that I have missing port audio/alsa-sndio + remember to add default SNDIO settings mentioned in port message. I've test both web engine KHtml and WebKit, in both cases sound is working as expected. I'm using VLC backend without gstreamer which didn't work for me also.

Konqueror: Interesting is that, without audio/alsa-sndio I am capable to play audio with html5, but youtube audio doesn't play, it seems that for youtube webengine is using alsa while for html5 audio the output is redirected to phonon backend ? That's only assumption and I may be wrong with that.

In the meantime I was thought that AlsaLib can be easily excluded from dependency list for www/qt5-webengine, I have a small patches but nothing works. I was thought that linking with SNDIO instead of AlsaLib is the right choice, but even if I change any words "-lasound" (in the whole sources +++ makefiles/cmake/ninja +++ /usr/local/libdata/*) args to "-lsndio" linker will always prefer alsa somehow. I didn't investigate that stupidity but ok, I got what I expect.

I think I understand now - as I installed x11/plasma5-plasma thinking it's 'kde light' I avoided most problems users encountered. Looks like x11/kde5 metaport accidentally includes x11/plasma5-plasma-desktop, it should be x11/plasma5-plasma. So, I've got all you missing from the beginning.

I don't think this particular port is useful. We don't need sndio either - it's mapped directly to /dev/dsp with patch, the idea is that OpenBSD users write patches for their backends and we - don't. As sndio is mapped to OSS and alsa libs (meh) found the way to our systems, no need additionally map alsa to sndio, as it already mapped to OSS.

Here is my make.conf for kde building.
Code:
OPTIONS_UNSET+= DOCS EXAMPLES AVAHI JACK ALSA PULSEAUDIO SAMBA HAL DVD V4L SYNAPTICS
OPTIONS_SET+= X11 SNDIO OPENGL IDN VDPAU VAAPI WAYLAND OPENCL BSDISKS JASPER

x11_kde5_UNSET+= KDEEDU KDEGAMES KDEGRAPHICS KDEPIM KDEUTILS
multimedia_kdemultimedia_UNSET+= AUDIOCD_KIO FFMPEG
net_kdenetwork_UNSET+= FILESHARING KRFB
multimedia_webcamd_UNSET+= DVB RADIO
multimedia_qt5-multimedia_SET+= ALSA
www_qt5-webengine_SET+=ALSA
net_krdc_SET+= FREERDP

I still investigating what else I can add (need) for my KDE experience as a lot of stuff missing metaports (for example all PIM ports)

It works not bad on my system but I cannot change Date and Time. (You are not allowed to save the configuration) - why not and how is possible to save it?
Does deskutils/kdepim doesn't install everything? Not for me.
Thanks.

I can change Date and Time.
kdepim installs only akonadi framework and supplemental libraries. You have manually install actual applications (see kdepim port description)

Back