KDE Plasma 5

:) i did hwagemann steps and then read the manual :))) comment trick worked,thanks.
*edit*
mission almost completed !
every installed and working but in order to start plasma 5 i have to run : startx and from there startkde
how can i make it start with login screen like kde4 ?
i have added in my /usr/local/etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc
Code:
#! /bin/sh
/usr/local/bin/xterm -geometry +0+0 &
KDE=/usr/local/bin/startkde
test -x $KDE && exec /usr/local/bin/ck-launch-session $KDE
exec /usr/local/bin/twm

Last edited:
… not obligatory but recommended to avoid mixing packages from different repositories …

I have gleefully, sometimes carelessly, mixed things for a few months. Doubly mixed, with a -CURRENT that's outdated enough to raise a few eyebrows:

Code:
# date ; uname -v
Sun  8 Oct 2017 13:53:46 BST
FreeBSD 12.0-CURRENT #0 r320869: Mon Jul 10 13:57:55 UTC 2017     root@releng3.nyi.freebsd.org:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC
#

Very few hiccoughs. Kudos to the creatures of Area 51.

Not for the faint-hearted, just for reference:

Code:
$ date ; pkg -vv | grep -A 100 Repositories\:
Sun  8 Oct 2017 13:25:22 BST
Repositories:
  FreeBSD: {
    url             : "pkg+http://pkg.FreeBSD.org/FreeBSD:12:amd64/latest",
    enabled         : yes,
    priority        : 0,
    mirror_type     : "SRV",
    signature_type  : "FINGERPRINTS",
    fingerprints    : "/usr/share/keys/pkg"
  }
  area51: {
    url             : "http://meatwad.mouf.net/rubick/poudriere/packages/head-amd64-kde",
    priority        : 5
  }
  poudriere: {
    url             : "file:///usr/local/poudriere/data/packages/current-freebsd-ports-kde",
    priority        : 7,
    mirror_type     : "SRV"
  }
  trueos-base: {
    url             : "http://pkg.cdn.trueos.org/unstable/amd64-base/",
    enabled         : no,
    priority        : 0
  }
  trueos-packages: {
    url             : "http://pkg.cdn.trueos.org/packages/unstable/amd64/",
    enabled         : no,
    priority        : 0
  }
$

The only thing that half-surprises me (probably because I have not properly RTFM for pkg(8) etc.) is the occasional requirement to specify a repo for an upgrade to a package.

I imagined that superiority of the version of a package would be enough for an appropriate repo to be used, but it seems (to me) that repo priority takes precedence.

Cautiousness involves not blindly keying 'y' if doing so will cause removal of something that I might like to use. For example:

Code:
root@momh167-gjp4-hpelitebook8570p-freebsd:~ # pkg update -f
Updating FreeBSD repository catalogue...
Fetching meta.txz: 100%    944 B   0.9kB/s    00:01
Fetching packagesite.txz: 100%    6 MiB   2.0MB/s    00:03
Processing entries: 100%
FreeBSD repository update completed. 26814 packages processed.
Updating area51 repository catalogue...
Fetching meta.txz: 100%    260 B   0.3kB/s    00:01
Fetching packagesite.txz: 100%  295 KiB 100.6kB/s    00:03
area51 repository update completed. 1326 packages processed.
Updating poudriere repository catalogue...
Fetching meta.txz: 100%    260 B   0.3kB/s    00:01
Fetching packagesite.txz: 100%  242 KiB 248.3kB/s    00:01
poudriere repository update completed. 1038 packages processed.
All repositories are up to date.
root@momh167-gjp4-hpelitebook8570p-freebsd:~ # pkg version --no-repo-update -vRl\<
boost-python-libs-1.64.0           <   needs updating (remote has 1.65.1)
root@momh167-gjp4-hpelitebook8570p-freebsd:~ # pkg upgrade -r FreeBSD boost-python-libs
Updating FreeBSD repository catalogue...
FreeBSD repository is up to date.
All repositories are up to date.
The following 3 package(s) will be affected (of 0 checked):

Installed packages to be REMOVED:
        kdeedu-17.08.1
        kig-17.08.1_1

Installed packages to be UPGRADED:
        boost-python-libs: 1.64.0 -> 1.65.1 [FreeBSD]

Number of packages to be removed: 2
Number of packages to be upgraded: 1

The operation will free 10 MiB.
139 KiB to be downloaded.

Proceed with this action? [y/N]: n
root@momh167-gjp4-hpelitebook8570p-freebsd:~ #

Postscript

Careless as in, I occasionally lost the ability to run VirtualBox. It's not essential to my workflow so I rarely rushed to regain the ability, but my most recent carelessness was probably a medium-term true end to my use of VirtualBox. Until I get myself a more recent -CURRENT :)

The only thing that half-surprises me (probably because I have not properly RTFM for pkg(8) etc.) is the occasional requirement to specify a repo for an upgrade to a package.

I imagined that superiority of the version of a package would be enough for an appropriate repo to be used, but it seems (to me) that repo priority takes precedence.
There is a setting for that. ;) From pkg.conf(5):
Code:
CONSERVATIVE_UPGRADE: boolean
             Ensure in multi repository mode that the priority is given
             as much as possible to the repository where a package was
             first installed from.  Default: YES.
I think you might experience more hiccups if you disable it though.

Not for the faint-hearted, just for reference:
Probably good that you disabled the TrueOS repositories. I think it'd be a nightmare sooner or later to mix them with the default FreeBSD packages with them using LibreSSL and a different option set.

Thanks,

… Probably good that you disabled the TrueOS repositories. … LibreSSL ….

Yep. A few months ago I rudely kicked that type of thing into the mixture, expecting wrongness, and wrongness was what I got. (That's not a criticism of any repo's contents. Sometimes I simply enjoy learning from observing the ill-effects of a particular type of kick or mash-up.)

A flip-side, for anyone who's already in the Matrix UI to #freebsd-social on freenode: https://matrix.to/#/!thHpTGkljrZUnGXqgK:matrix.org/$15074726921901280XuOlo:matrix.org

area51 was safe in the time of KDE4 because ports were updated very fast . In the case of plasma5 is different. I did try once and in this time was not useful but now IMO is safer to wait for FreeBSD ports. If we are waiting from 2014 we can wait few months more too :).

The applications are being finished to be ported, but always have some delay due to a new devel/cmake version what break a lot of things, or the regular Qt5 updates what also take time to fix, etc.

All of that are handled by @kde. I mean, hundreds of ports with regular updates.

5.11.0 installed two days ago. From my point of view: no new bugs.

Published whilst 5.10.95 was in beta: Plasma 5.11 Beta Makes the Desktop More Powerful, Elegant and Secure - KDE.org (2017-09-14). From the release announcement:

… performance of the task manager has been improved …

– however from discussion (I can't recall where), I understand that there was no such performance-oriented improvement associated with that release.

The (KWin) bug that I reported, not specific to FreeBSD, was fixed very early in the beta:
Now:

Code:
$ pkg info plasma5-plasma-5.11.0
plasma5-plasma-5.11.0
Name           : plasma5-plasma
Version        : 5.11.0
Installed on   : Thu Oct 12 17:58:21 2017 BST
Origin         : x11/plasma5-plasma
Architecture   : FreeBSD:12:*
Prefix         : /usr/local
Categories     : x11 kde
Licenses       : LGPL20
Maintainer     : kde@FreeBSD.org
WWW            : https://www.kde.org/workspaces/plasmadesktop/
Comment        : KDE5 plasma meta port
Annotations    :
        repo_type      : binary
        repository     : area51
Flat size      : 0.00B
Description    :
KDE5 Plasma Meta Port

WWW: https://www.kde.org/workspaces/plasmadesktop/
$

A few minutes ago I've fetched new branch kde5-import and now the poudriere-build runs.

But two questions:
Does somebody know, whats about kde5 localisation? The port german/kde-l10n has gone in new branch kde5-import.
And I cannot find also current digikam and kipiplugin stuff.

A few minutes ago I've fetched new branch kde5-import and now the poudriere-build runs.

But two questions:
Does somebody know, whats about kde5 localisation? The port german/kde-l10n has gone in new branch kde5-import.
And I cannot find also current digikam and kipiplugin stuff.

The localization does not exist anymore as a separated package. They are part of the applications now, each package contains the translation for it self. I just asked for the German but I think it is safe assume same for all of them.

The missing digikam and kipiplugin, well they were forgotten during the import, they will appear later. :)

EDIT: they were imported already.

The localization does not exist anymore as a separated package. They are part of the applications now, each package contains the translation for it self. I just asked for the German but I think it is safe assume same for all of them.

The missing digikam and kipiplugin, well they were forgotten during the import, they will appear later. :)

EDIT: they were imported already.

I've seen it now, thanks for info. So I'll start a new build of my kde5 repo this afternoon.

The new ETA is early next year.

What is making it to take so much time, and with some many delays, is not the KDE5/Plasma port it self but the regular updates of:

1. KDE5/Plasma: what always break something, and needs patches (again);
  2. Qt5: what always needs some patches and break something KDE related;
  3. CMake: what always need patches, and break something Qt5 and KDE related.
All of that is handled by two good folks working full time plus a few more helping hands working whether is possible.

Cheers! :beer:

Still using KDE4, but there is an annoying bug. Now I found out that it is not a Qt bug but a KDE4 bug.
Thinking about installing KDE 5, hoping that it doesn't have that issue.
I do not use the KDE desktop itself.
Only a few KDE apps: Kate, Dolphin, Okular, Konsole, Gwenview, K3b. I do not care about other KDE apps.

Do these work on FreeBSD KDE5?
Can I install that with pkg already?
Or do I need to install using ports?

Sorry for these stupid questions, couldn't find kde5 metapackage on freshports.
Maybe somebody can point me to some instructions how to best install kde5 on 11.1Release?
Or is it still so buggy that it's better to avoid?

Still using KDE4, but there is an annoying bug. Now I found out that it is not a Qt bug but a KDE4 bug.
Thinking about installing KDE 5, hoping that it doesn't have that issue.
I do not use the KDE desktop itself.
Only a few KDE apps: Kate, Dolphin, Okular, Konsole, Gwenview, K3b. I do not care about other KDE apps.

Do these work on FreeBSD KDE5?
Can I install that with pkg already?
Or do I need to install using ports?

Sorry for these stupid questions, couldn't find kde5 metapackage on freshports.
Maybe somebody can point me to some instructions how to best install kde5 on 11.1Release?
Or is it still so buggy that it's better to avoid?
I like to use Kate and Okular again but install almost all KDE just for this two apps?
BTW: I am using graphics/geeqie

Last edited by a moderator:
Back