KDE Plasma 5

fernandel

They very active on IRC: #kde-freebsd. But I am not aware of a ETA, but I am not close the following development too. However I will ask.

EDIT: there is no ETA yet.

getopt

SDDM is not in the ports tree yet, but as many folks are using the development tree I put it that way, assuming they are aware of that. :)

I did a minor update in the theme, making the theme name (in metadata.conf) match with its directory name, to avoid unnecessary confusion.

I see that kde 5 is available via the area51 repos.
But is it not available for i386?
area51 isn't anymore a place for plasma5 stuff for FreeBSD. You can find sources here:
https://github.com/freebsd/freebsd-ports-kde
And packages here:
http://meatwad.mouf.net/rubick/poudriere/packages/
But it seems, you're right, no packages for i386 and no packages for FreeBSD 11.1 Release.

But doing a build of plasma5 with ports-mgmt/poudriere-devel from github is very easy.

Hello,

in short steps (expecting, you use FreeBSD 11.1 and a zfs-pool)

a) Create a zfs-dataset with mountpoint /poudriere
Code:
zfs create -o mountpoint=/poudriere <poolname>/poudriere
b) Install some stuff:
Code:
pkg install git poudriere-devel
c1) Create a /usr/local/etc/poudriere.conf with following content:
Code:
ZPOOL=<name-of-zfs-pool>
ZROOTFS=/poudriere
FREEBSD_HOST=http://ftp.freebsd.org/
RESOLV_CONF=/etc/resolv.conf
BASEFS=/poudriere/base
POUDRIERE_DATA=${BASEFS}/data
USE_PORTLINT=no
DISTFILES_CACHE=/poudriere/distfiles
CHECK_CHANGED_OPTIONS=verbose
CHECK_CHANGED_DEPS=yes
WRKDIR_ARCHIVE_FORMAT=txz
NOLINUX=yes
USE_TMPFS=yes
ALLOW_MAKE_JOBS=yes
PARALLEL_JOBS=4
PREPARE_PARALLEL_JOBS=4
c2) Create a /usr/local/etc/poudriere.d/111release-make.conf (and modify for your needs)
Code:
# build ports allways without X
WITHOUT_X11=yes
# default options
OPTIONS_SET= SNDIO                                                                                                                                                  
OPTIONS_UNSET= BONJOUR DEBUG X11 PULSEAUDIO PULSE ALSA GVFS
d) Important: You've to create distfile folder manually:
Code:
mkdir /poudriere/distfiles
e) Create a jail:
Code:
poudriere jail -c -j 111release -v 11.1-RELEASE -a amd64
f) Fetch portstree with plasma5 sources (contains complete FreeBSD head branch, no merging needed)
Code:
poudriere ports -c -p plasma5 -m git -B plasma5 -U https://github.com/freebsd/freebsd-ports-kde.git
g) Create a /usr/local/etc/111release-plasma5.txt (see my current attached list, please modify it for your needs)
h) Build your repo:
Code:
cd /usr/local/etc && poudriere bulk -f 111release-plasma5.txt -j 111release -p plasma5

I recommend to install plasma5 and other userland stuff from selfbuilded repo on a fresh installed FreeBSD-11.1

Attachments

• 111release-plasma5.txt
    1.9 KB · Views: 360
Last edited:
thanks for the guides,lebarondemerde and hwagemann,requires lot of manual work and the most time consuming will be creating the attachment you posted hwagemann.
i've done the steps you posted ,do i have to do anything in rc.conf ? what is the command to start kde ? startkde dont work.

Hi rjohn

with my list you've also build sddm, please install this package and put following entries in your /etc/rc.conf
Code:
hald_enable="YES"
dbus_enable="YES"
sddm_enable="YES"

To install all builded "kde5" stuff (refering to my list), please do following:
Code:
pkg install -x kf5 plasma5 qt5

Kind regards,
Holger

Hi rjohn

with my list you've also build sddm, please install this package and put following entries in your /etc/rc.conf
Code:
hald_enable="YES"
dbus_enable="YES"
sddm_enable="YES"

To install all builded "kde5" stuff (refering to my list), please do following:
Code:
pkg install -x kf5 plasma5 qt5

Kind regards,
Holger

It looks KDE Plasma 5 works good but I still don't get the answer it will be in the nearer future in the ports or will continue in github or area51?

no package available to install matching "plasma5" have been found ....

After building your local repo with poudriere, your system (I would recommend a fresh installed FreeBSD 11.1) should know, where to find this local repo.
What have you done to "tell" your system to use this local repo? Building your repo with poudriere does not let your system know automatically, where to find this new stuff.

It looks KDE Plasma 5 works good but I still don't get the answer it will be in the nearer future in the ports or will continue in github or area51?
In a comment on bsdforen.de one of core committer for kde stuff Tobias C. Berner has written, that he hopes to bring plasma5 stuff at the end of this year in official portstree of FreeBSD.

And yes, I think you're right, in my opinion plasma5 works good :) and the commiter do a great job.

It's still known as Area 51.
Okay, you're right, thanks for clarifying this.

Refering to the point "Plasma5 in official portstree of FreeBSD" we can verify, that it is still incomplete - there is some stuff of kf5 apps you can install as binary per pkg, but with normal portstree head or with "latest" binary repo it isn't possible to get a nearly complete plasma5 desktop with applications now and I guess, we've to wait some weeks, perhaps some months for it. But I think that's okay, they do a great job and spent a lot of time for it, I will be patient.

After building your local repo with poudriere, your system (I would recommend a fresh installed FreeBSD 11.1) should know, where to find this local repo.
What have you done to "tell" your system to use this local repo? Building your repo with poudriere does not let your system know automatically, where to find this new stuff.

i have a fresh installation of freebsd11.1 updated .

Code:
poudriere ports -c -p plasma5 -m git -B plasma5 -U https://github.com/freebsd/freebsd-ports-kde.git
[00:00:00] ====>> Error: The ports tree, plasma5, already exists
root@fbsd:~ # pkg install -x kf5 plasma5 qt5                                    Updating FreeBSD repository catalogue...
FreeBSD repository is up to date.
All repositories are up to date.
pkg: No packages available to install matching 'plasma5' have been found in the repositories
since poudriere updates the porttree ,is it the pkg i shall use ,or install the plasma5 from porttree manual ?

search for plasma5 i have : /poudriere/base/ports/plasma5/x11 on my system if it helps.

rjohn

You should set pkg to use your local ports-mgmt/poudriere repository.

If that repository is in the same machine you should create something like this, to start using the packages ports-mgmt/poudriere built:

/usr/local/etc/pkg/repos/poudriere.conf
Code:
Poudriere: {
   url: "file:///usr/local/poudriere/data/packages/JAILNAME-default",
   mirror_type: "srv",
   signature_type: "pubkey",
   pubkey: "/usr/local/etc/ssl/certs/poudriere.cert",
   enabled: yes
}

Now, not obligatory but recommended to avoid mixing packages from different repositories, disable the FreeBSD official one:

/usr/local/etc/pkg/repos/FreeBSD.conf
Code:
FreeBSD: {
   enabled: no
}

After that, assuming you rebuilt everything you need from Area51 and not only the KDE stuff, would be a good idea to re-install all packages from your local repository:

pkg upgrade -f

Cheers! :)

i have create the cert key :

mkdir -p /usr/local/etc/ssl/{keys,certs}
chmod 0600 /usr/local/etc/ssl/keys
openssl genrsa -out /usr/local/etc/ssl/keys/poudriere.key 4096
openssl rsa -in /usr/local/etc/ssl/keys/poudriere.key -pubout -out /usr/local/etc/ssl/certs/poudriere.cert

but i get :
Code:
Updating Poudriere repository catalogue...
pkg: Repository Poudriere load error: access repo file(/var/db/pkg/repo-Poudriere.sqlite) failed: No such file or directory
Fetching meta.txz: 100%    260 B   0.3kB/s    00:01  
pkg: No signature found in the repository.  Can not validate against /usr/local/etc/ssl/certs/poudriere.cert key.
repository Poudriere has no meta file, using default settings
Fetching packagesite.txz: 100%  206 KiB 210.9kB/s    00:01  
pkg: No signature found in the repository.  Can not validate against /usr/local/etc/ssl/certs/poudriere.cert key.
Unable to update repository Poudriere
Error updating repositories!

in my
Code:
(/var/db/pkg/
i have : repo-FreeBSD.sqlite and local.sqlite

rjohn

You should have created the certificate before you have the packages built, otherwise the packages would not be signed by it. I it is in that Digital Ocean TUTORIAL posted earlier. :rolleyes:

You have two options:
  1. Comment out the certificate line and so you should be able to install the packages already;
  2. Rebuild everything.

PS. You should add the certificate path to the poudriere.conf.

Back