Solved KDE-5 UTF-8 support issue.

Dogers

Member

Reaction score: 16
Messages: 50

Greetings to everyone.

First thing first, I am quite new to FreeBSD (using it for 2-3 months) and I wanted to thank everyone who have contributed to the FreeBSD Handbook which one of the most complete and well-structured manual I ever seen. I intend to migrate my main desktop from Debian to FreeBSD, but before I can do so I need to fix a little problem. Indeed I encountered an issue with KDE-5 related programs as for instance Dolphin file manager. When I use some UTF-8 characters like "é,ç,ж", the character is replaced with a "?". What is strange in this issue is that on other file managers like xfe, UTF-8 seems to be fully supported. So I think is related to KDE-5 configurations. If anyone know how to fix that, I will be thankful.

Thank you in advance for any response.
 

OJ

Daemon

Reaction score: 401
Messages: 1,255

Welcome. :)

I recently upgraded from FreeBSD 11.2-RELEASE to FreeBSD 12.0-RELEASE and now I have the same problem as you. It worked fine before, so something may have broken recently. I'll be watching this thread, and of course post anything useful that I come up with.
 
OP
Dogers

Dogers

Member

Reaction score: 16
Messages: 50

I finally managed to fix this little issue. I searched manually for topic with comparable issue and I found this one :


To sum-up what to do in order to fix that :

Create a script file in .config/plasma-workspace/env/ (in home), for instance locale.sh and put these two lines in it :

Code:
export LANG=en_US.UTF-8
export MM_CHARSET=UTF-8

When it is done, simply restart a session or reboot, and you should be able to use UTF-8 characters in KDE Family applications.

I hope it will help.
 

r_t_f_m

New Member

Reaction score: 8
Messages: 19

Hi everyone !

After updating to the latest version of Plasma (plasma-5.17.2) I'm having issues with locale. This is the locale output in konsole :
Code:
LANG=
LC_CTYPE="C"
LC_COLLATE="C"
LC_TIME="C"
LC_NUMERIC="C"
LC_MONETARY="C"
LC_MESSAGES="C"
LC_ALL=

I've tried to set ~/.config/plasma-workspace/env/local.sh to
Code:
export LANG=en_US.UTF-8
export MM_CHARSET=UTF-8

and even changed the ~/.config/plasma-locale-settings.sh to

Code:
export LC_ALL=en_US.UTF-8
export LANGUAGE=en_US.UTF-8
export LANG=en_US.UTF-8

it does not change anything : dolphin can't display file/folder names that are not in ASCII.

But, if I connect to localhost with

ssh localhost -X and then I start konsole , locale gives me this output
Code:
LANG=en_US.UTF-8
LC_CTYPE="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_COLLATE="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_TIME="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_NUMERIC="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_MONETARY="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_MESSAGES="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_ALL=

and dolphin works as expected.

After every change, I've been deleting cache ( rm -fr ~/.cache/*) and even forced updating of all packages
pkg upgrade -f

If anybody has an idea, I would be glad to try it.
 

r_t_f_m

New Member

Reaction score: 8
Messages: 19

I did try with new user, too, but without success.

Finally, an update of KDE packages resolved the issue.
 
Top