Solved Java Application: TraderWorkstation on FreeBSD

Howdy,

Step by step I migrate my Pop!OS Linux to FreeBSD.
I'm stuck with a Java application, called TraderWorkstation from Interactive Brokers.
Link: https://www.interactivebrokers.com/en/general/tws-latest-install-instructions-linux-32.php

I installed openjdk8-jre-8.282.05.1

Then I followed the "Linux-install" instructions:
a) https://www.interactivebrokers.com/en/trading/tws-updateable-stable.php
then
b) https://www.interactivebrokers.com/en/index.php?f=17712

Next:
sudo ./tws-stable-linux-x86.sh

Error:
Code:
No suitable Java Virtual Machine could be found on your system.
Downloading JRE with curl ...
  % Total    % Received % Xferd  Average Speed   Time    Time     Time  Current
                                 Dload  Upload   Total   Spent    Left  Speed
100 61.6M  100 61.6M    0     0  45.3M      0  0:00:01  0:00:01 --:--:-- 45.3M
Unpacking JRE ...
ELF interpreter /lib/ld-linux.so.2 not found, error 2
Abort trap
Error unpacking jar files. The architecture or bitness (32/64)
of the bundled JVM might not match your machine.

I know, it's probably Linux compatible only...

Is there a workaround?
Maybe with the Linux compatibility Mode in FreeBSD?
Another way I thougt is, creating a Container and run Linux, then install TraderWorkstation?

Before I mess around, I would be thankful to get pointed the right way.

Thanks very much.

Well, right now is running the Linux binary of the JRE, so you need the Linux compat layer.

Alternatively, you could hack up that script that decides that it doesn't like your JRE to accept the FreeBSD one.

I installed openjdk8-jre-8.282.05.1
Are you sure that this is the proper requirement, as it is quite old?
I'd ask the IB helpdesk for the requirements for FreeBSD.

I had a look at tws-stable-linux-x86.sh. Never saw such a "script". Looks like it has binary blobs included.

Now my question:
Is it possible to include binary blobs in a sh-script?

If so that would raise big questions on trusting *.sh files without searching for included binaries.

Well, right now is running the Linux binary of the JRE, so you need the Linux compat layer.

Alternatively, you could hack up that script that decides that it doesn't like your JRE to accept the FreeBSD one.
OK, but that doesn't feels like it will be stable if I as a newbie hack around LOL
In my Trading Job, I can't make compromises.

Thanks for the input!

Are you sure that this is the proper requirement, as it is quite old?
I'd ask the IB helpdesk for the requirements for FreeBSD.

I had a look at tws-stable-linux-x86.sh. Never saw such a "script". Looks like it has binary blobs included.

Now my question:
Is it possible to include binary blobs in a sh-script?

If so that would raise big questions on trusting *.sh files without searching for included binaries.
Uffhh ...binary blobs... ugh... :)

OK, I try to figure it out with Container kinda install.
Maybe it's best with bhyve & a Linux VM.
Or I may even try it with KASM, so I can run it in a Browser session.

Lot's of fun ahead with my new FreeBSD 😎

Thanks very much for taking time for my question. 🙏

Well, if it is pure Java it should run on the FreeBSD JVM without compromises.

The idiot installer script rejecting is not an indication one way or another. Maybe you can ask support whether their application is "pure Java".

Well, if it is pure Java it should run on the FreeBSD JVM without compromises.

The idiot installer script rejecting is not an indication one way or another. Maybe you can ask support whether their application is "pure Java".
Jep, I'll try with them, but I don't have high hopes for a good answer.
Their support should go to school in this Forum §:cool:

TNX!

OP should try java/openjdk21... according to that port's cgit log, it was committed on Oct. 23, 2023... just a little over a month ago.

I don't like Java myself, but it's unfortunately a dependency for some pretty useful software like LibreOffice... and in the last couple years, FreeBSD's Java maintainers did get their act together and get Java to compile properly without spiraling into uncontrollable 'previous-generation recursive dependency hell'. Unfortunately, you still have to turn off the specific application's 'auto-update' feature by hand.

Well, there are several slightly older versions of Java available in ports' Java category: https://cgit.freebsd.org/ports/tree/java ... so if java/openjdk21 is too new, there's more versions to try. :)

Edit: BTW, pay attention to whether this is 32-bit or 64-bit stuff! 32-bit stuff can be iffy to run these days.

I've once got a Windows version of the TWS running under Wine, and it was unbearably slow, I guess because that the JRE was running inside Wine. I have an old T430 lapop in my drawer with Windows, specifically for TWS.

OP should try java/openjdk21... according to that port's cgit log, it was committed on Oct. 23, 2023... just a little over a month ago.

I don't like Java myself, but it's unfortunately a dependency for some pretty useful software like LibreOffice... and in the last couple years, FreeBSD's Java maintainers did get their act together and get Java to compile properly without spiraling into uncontrollable 'previous-generation recursive dependency hell'. Unfortunately, you still have to turn off the specific application's 'auto-update' feature by hand.

Well, there are several slightly older versions of Java available in ports' Java category: https://cgit.freebsd.org/ports/tree/java ... so if java/openjdk21 is too new, there's more versions to try. :)

Edit: BTW, pay attention to whether this is 32-bit or 64-bit stuff! 32-bit stuff can be iffy to run these days.
Thanks astyle.
Isn't it crazy...we are messing with AI, and still we have such problems with software...

Have happy new week

I've once got a Windows version of the TWS running under Wine, and it was unbearably slow, I guess because that the JRE was running inside Wine. I have an old T430 lapop in my drawer with Windows, specifically for TWS.

Oh, I can 100% imagine how slow it was in Wine.
TWS itself is a java monster and sluggish as hell sometimes even on Linux/Window with a 4.5 GHZ and 32GB of RAM.
Must be the architecture...I can't imagine anything else.

My guess is, that they have a ton of bloat from decades.
Compare it to, for example with TastyTrades Applications: Tow different Universe §:cool:

Unfortunately I really need TWS because of the Options Strategy and other Analysis tools, and because IB as a Broker has great conditions and I can trade every product in the world.

But hey, Christmas holiday is knocking soon, and I have a lot of time to try different possibilities in FreeBSD.

Thanks for your feedback.

Back