jails pkg version mismatch

On my system, pkg within jails seems to complain about the version numbers. I have checked the older posts (mostly from late last year) in this category, but I don't believe they solve my problem.

Symptoms:
  1. Issuing a pkg update within a jail gave the apparently common error
    Newer FreeBSD version for package pkg: To ignore this error set IGNORE_OSVERSION=yes
    - package: 1102000
    - running kernel: 1101001

2. But, doing uname -K in the same jail gave the result 1102000. This seems contradictory with the message earlier which says the running kernel is 1101001
  3. Doing uname -K on the host gave 1102000, which is consistent with the jail.
  4. The output of freebsd-version -u was 11.2-RELEASE-p11 and consistent across both jail and host.
  5. Output of freebsd-version -k on the host was also 11.2-RELEASE-p11
  6. Output of uname -a includes FreeBSD 11.2-RELEASE-p9, this is consistent across both jail and host.
  7. I did a pkg bootstrap -f on both jail and host. The jail gave the same error message as in 1. but I went on with it anyway ignoring the mismatch and clicking Y. The host had no issues.
  8. Now the issue no longer appears while doing pkg update, but if I redo pkg bootstrap -f on the jail, it still complains the same thing. I've repeated steps 6 and 7 a couple of times with the same result.

Why does it still complain of the same thing? Is it actually a problem?

pkg bootstrap -f is required to run one time only for a initial installing of pkg. Running it again should only be done if for what ever reason there is no more pkg.

Pkg has it's own database in /var/db/pkg which may be affected when bootstrapping again.

Once you have Pkg installed it takes care about upgrading itself when running pkg upgrade -y

In principle, yes. But isn't rebootstrapping pkg the most practical way to resolve the version mismatch error problem? I've run into that error a few times, and rebootstrapping always fixes it.

What other solution would you propose when all the version numbers match, but pkg update still complains of a mismatch?

I recently upgraded my host machine from 13.0-RELEASE to 13.1-RELEASE and was prompted to confirm a couple of config files (sshd_config and another) prior to merging. All went well.

I have a few thick jails which encountered the jails pkg version mismatch errors.

So I proceeded to update the jail like this.
Code:
# freebsd-update -b /usr/jail/demo0/ fetch install
# freebsd-update -b /usr/jail/demo0/ upgrade -r 13.1-RELEASE
# freebsd-update -b /usr/jail/demo0/ install
# service jail restart
# freebsd-update -b /usr/jail/demo0/ install

But the pkg version mismatch errors still came up every time a pkg update is run.
Code:
# pkg -c /usr/jail/demo0 update -f

So, I referred to this site https://rubenerd.com/using-freebsd-update-to-upgrade-jails/ which showed another way of update the jail like this...
Code:
# freebsd-update -b /usr/jail/demo0/ --currently-running 13.0-RELEASE -r 13.1-RELEASE upgrade

This time I was prompted to confirm what felt like almost every config file in the jail prior to merging. I have no idea what these config files are, so not sure what to confirm. I gave up after blindly confirming at least 15 config files.

So, my question is... what is the right way to update a thick jail?

Back