Solved Jails - ezjail, qjail, iocage, other

After almost a couple years away, I'd like to know about jails management systems, for a new server.
In the past I've used ezjail(7), then qjail(8).
Now, in 2018, are all these tools up-to-date with current? ezjail(7) is mentioned in the manual, so I guess it should be...

iocage(8) seems to require Python and ZFS, correct? If so, I'd like to use another option.

Is there any other jail management system that has some benefit over these?
There's no need for bhyve virtual machines.

I didn't get any answer, at least I'd like to know if qjail runs on 11.1 or not.
qjail4 is version 4.9
pkg info qjail4 says that architecture is FreeBSD:10:*
qjail4 pkg doens't install /usr/local/etc/qjail.conf.sample as said it would. When fetching base.txz it fails with a malformed URL.

In https://sourceforge.net/projects/qjail/files/ there's a newer version qjail-5.4.tar.bz2

What does this all mean? Than qjail is no longer in the tree? That for 11.x one needs to install version 5.4 ad-hoc?
I'd appreciate some light on this.

I didn't get any answer, at least I'd like to know if qjail runs on 11.1 or not.
It does.
pkg info qjail4 says that architecture is FreeBSD:10:*
That's because you're running that command on FreeBSD 10.x. It doesn't say anything about the application's support for other versions. It only tells you that this particular installed package was built for FreeBSD 10.x.

sysutils/qjail4 looking at the Makefile:
Code:
IGNORE_FreeBSD_11=      Only for FreeBSD 10.x
IGNORE_FreeBSD_12=      Only for FreeBSD 10.x
This is what tells you it only works for FreeBSD 10.x.

What does this all mean? Than qjail is no longer in the tree? That for 11.x one needs to install version 5.4 ad-hoc?
Did you actually search for it? Have a look at sysutils/qjail.

I was running 11.1, but not completely, as forgot to run freebsd-update install after upgrading and reboot.

This new 5.4 package didn't install any qjail.conf* file, too.

Thank you for the light you shedded on this.

I was running 11.1, but not completely, as forgot to run freebsd-update install after upgrading and reboot.
This isn't going to change what the package has been built for. Even if you fully upgrade the base OS but not the packages it's still going to show 'FreeBSD:10:*' because that's what the package was built for. As I said, pkg-info(8) only provides information about the package itself, not the state of support of the application within that package.

iocage(8) seems to require Python and ZFS, correct?
I just installed iocage on FreeBSD 12.1-RELEASE and not only does it require ZFS (which I don't mind at all), it also requires both Python and Perl, as well as subversion and git. I guess it would have been nice if it used either Perl or Python but not both and the same goes for subversion and git.

I just installed iocage on FreeBSD 12.1-RELEASE and not only does it require ZFS (which I don't mind at all), it also requires both Python and Perl, as well as subversion and git. I guess it would have been nice if it used either Perl or Python but not both and the same goes for subversion and git.
perl5 is a dependency of git. subversion is also a dependency of git (indirectly thru p5-subversion). So the base problem is git.

Do you run iocage without trouble?

Yes, iocage runs without trouble for me.[1] I was just surprised to see all those dependancies, which is in stark contrast to ezjail which is a simple shell script.

[1]: I do have the problem that I cannot install software inside the jail which does not have a network connection, but I should pose that question in its own thread.

I had a problem, but no one seems concerned: PR 243853
Hence my question, since you might use something like fr_FR.ISO8859-15 for LANG.

The current version, py37-iocage-1.2_5, is also affected.

My only experience with jails in production is with iocage and I am very satisfied, but since I have nothing to compare with, I cannot contribute anything else

Ezjail and VM-bhyve are all you need among the virtual machine managers. No dependencies to worry about.

CBSD looks good too. And I've Proxmox with several VMs running fine here ATM.

Back