It's all about jokes, funny pics...

aExmmwp_460s.jpg

Even today, the Amiga 2500 may not be powerful but compared to locked down cripple-ware like iPhones / iOS, it is still much smarter!

i.e, it would not be pleasant but it would be possible to write and compile flight navigation software on the Amiga. I don't believe iOS is officially even allowed compilers to be installed making it "impossible" without "illegally jail-breaking" of course. But if you need to modify your iOS in such a way to do it, you might as well just replace the internals of the Amiga 2500 with a modern Xeon and call that a "jail break" ;)

User11, cool! Do you own that one? I'd even buy it. Ahh, nostalgia...

Once upon a time I was involved in getting these babies to hum and to get NASA as a reference customer.

These were used (later A4000) for launch control due to being a light multitasking system with predictable timings. NASA also used to trawl eBay for old 8086 chips which were used in the Titan control box, thus a one-time use item. (If my memory is right here. It's been so long and ECC was not widespread in wet ware back then).

Sadly not all my NDAs from that time are run out or I'd invite the 'hoppers here for a campfire story or two. :D :beer:

Edit: looks like user11 does not own that machine. But that site has some more information.

Back in 1991, when almost all PC compatibles where silent (except for that annoying beep), I took my A500 (with its external SCSI HD and my stereo) to a presentation about new technologies, that we had to do in college.
I left the volume on about 70% and placed the soundboxes on stage but out of sight.
I spoke about multitasking (that DOS hadn't), presented the Workbench, compiled some stuff using Lattice C and waited until someone asked about games ...
The first one I showed them was the intro to The Killing Game Show. When the music started playing my colleagues just didn't believe it was coming from that machine. I had to convince them that graphics and music was not coming from some hidden VHS :)
It was an awesome machine.

'Bild' is not a newspaper. A judge once ruled that that term means to carry something like truth. Aforementioned fishwrap does not. And any self respecting fish will balk at the idea to be wrapped in that and try double to escape back to the water.

Yes, I really don't like that waste of good trees.

Back