Hi guys,

I have some problems with the two browsers Chromium and Firefox
provided with FreeBSD-11.1. I installed by package and the releases I am
using are :
Code:
firefox-58.0.2,1             
chromium-63.0.3239.132

I post this to know if you experience the same issues, if you confirm
I will fill a bug report for both browsers.

About Chromium.
-] Tabs sometimes freeze, I need to kill the tab and re-open the same page.
-] Some complex pages fail to open correctly very often. I attach an example
of what I see opening WhatsApp Web.

About Firefox.
-] In general it is working faster and better respect to Chromium.
-] But there is some issue in memory management. When I close
tabs and even whole windows the memory does not get cleard.
It is cleared only when I fully kill Firefox application.
-] AFAICsay It is not possible to open two independent copies
of Firefox.

Attachments

• chromium-ws-fails.png
    chromium-ws-fails.png
    46.8 KB · Views: 322
The problem with chromium is well known for years. The issue is that chromium has gotten so big and complicated, and gets no help from Google or anyone else, the maintainer has limited time to work on this, hardware to build quick enough and resources to help solve issues. @cpm visits here often. The issue is searchable and reported if you wish to look it up.

The firefox memory issue I noticed on occasion, too, but thought it was fixed but I switch back and forth between browsers so much during a day, it's possible I didn't notice.

fernandel , i will try Iridium in the next days.

drhowarddrfine, maximum respect on my side for the Chromium port maintainer. I filled a bug a cuple of days ago and I saw this thing is going on since years, then yesterady I updated Chromium and I still have issues, that is why I ask your opinions/experiences here before filling another bug. I don't want to annoy the maintainer with problems that are only on my machine.

About lack of resources for a port, umm, it is to early for me to express an opinion, I am here since a couple on months only. I donated a bit to FreeBSD, now it is in their hands to decide where to send that money. In my opionion having the Chromium and Firefox well working on FreeBSD is quite important. So I would send some resources in that direction.

fernandel , I have given a super fast shot to Iridium, my impression is positive, the logs i see from the terminal are less bugfull respect to chromium. But I found two major issues:

1] I need to scan the QR code each time I log into whatsapp, doh, I can't do that, too much boring. [I filled a bug for it, I am quite confident there is something wrong]

2] I can't login into my google account using the top-right "man-like" icon. This creates a lot of troubles, I use very often Google Documents. I am not sure I am mistaking something here, can you tell me if you observer the same "bug"(?)
I am using relase iridium-browser-58.0_12, just installed from package, in FreeBSD-11.1.

1. The issues with the browsers are well known. www/firefox has a list of missing pieces in it's post-install message. Also see this thread on freebsd-gecko@: https://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-gecko/2018-January/007938.html
  2. Iridium has no integration with Google services by design (check their FAQ), so that it doesn't work with the "man-like" icon is no surprise. It also clears cookies on exit which might explain why you have to scan the WhatsApp QR code again.
  3. Firefox has a profile manager. Run it with firefox --no-remote --ProfileManager and create a new profile. Then you can run two instances of Firefox.

Following tobik@ suggestions, I toggled cookies setting into Iridium and I am now able to run well WhatsAppWeb and GoogleDocumets. Audio works in WAW and in Youtube video. So, I have a fully operative browser. Thank you all !

Sometimes tabs hang also in Iridium, but it seems less frequently than in Chromium.

Back