Is there a real interest in pushing FreeBSD on the desktop space?

… light weight graphical file manager. …

1720363016536.png

It's present since I don't know when. Forgotten, rediscovered:

pkg prime-origins | uniq | sort | grep fm

Attachments

• 1720363111574.png
    1720363111574.png
    371.8 KB · Views: 36
pcmanfm is extremely lightweight (and also is it qt-brother pcmanfm-qt). Honestly I believe this "graphical file managers are bloated" is nothing more then a way some people use to let others know how cool they (think they) are.

what's wrong with it?
I wrote it many times here: for example, you must download the whole message with attachments also in the case
that you want only to read the body.

Thanks for the tipps on file manager, but are anyone able to show thumbnails? For that I need a file manager, to
pre view contents.

Honestly I believe this "graphical file managers are bloated" is nothing more then a way some people use to let others know how cool they (think they) are.
No, I do not have the need to tell that anyone. OK, I see, pcmanfm shows thumbmails, but why errors when started?

# pcmanfm

** (pcmanfm:1704): WARNING **: 16:13:45.624: The directory '~/Templates' doesn't exist, ignoring it

(pcmanfm:1704): GLib-GIO-CRITICAL **: 16:13:45.799: GFileInfo created without standard::edit-name

(pcmanfm:1704): GLib-GIO-CRITICAL **: 16:13:45.800: file ../gio/gfileinfo.c: line 1742 (g_file_info_get_edit_name): should not be reached

(pcmanfm:1704): GLib-GIO-CRITICAL **: 16:13:45.802: GFileInfo created without standard::size

(pcmanfm:1704): GLib-GIO-CRITICAL **: 16:13:45.803: file ../gio/gfileinfo.c: line 1845 (g_file_info_get_size): should not be reached

(pcmanfm:1704): GLib-GIO-CRITICAL **: 16:13:45.805: GFileInfo created without standard::content-type

(pcmanfm:1704): GLib-GIO-CRITICAL **: 16:13:45.807: file ../gio/gfileinfo.c: line 1821 (g_file_info_get_content_type): should not be reached

(pcmanfm:1704): GLib-GIO-CRITICAL **: 16:13:45.809: GFileInfo created without standard::is-symlink

(pcmanfm:1704): GLib-GIO-CRITICAL **: 16:13:45.810: file ../gio/gfileinfo.c: line 1676 (g_file_info_get_is_symlink): should not be reached

(pcmanfm:1704): GLib-GIO-CRITICAL **: 16:13:45.813: GFileInfo created without standard::is-backup

(pcmanfm:1704): GLib-GIO-CRITICAL **: 16:13:45.819: file ../gio/gfileinfo.c: line 1654 (g_file_info_get_is_backup): should not be reached

Oh, you use it over imap? Yeah that kind of sucks.
In any case, if I had to download everything, I would prefer mutt + mbsync over a graphical mail client.

But for now, alpine is doing the work right, also with xoauth2 and gmail. Alpine and UW imap grew up together.

Bye, bye Miss FreeBSD-vi
Congrats, you now have a non-standard install of FreeBSD. Please do not ask for help on the mailing lists or these forums until you have reproduced the issue with a correct install.

If we don't allow discussion of old versions or BSD derivatives, we will also not engage in discussions of your broken install either.

Extreme lightweight filemanager: xfe Only disable the zebra line coloring. 😄

I hope they keep on aiming for non-graphical development. Just lost the ability to "fast raw usb read" after kernel upgrade 14 -> 14.1. This is discouraging. Took me many hours to code a driver/parser for a touch display. Now I have to find a problem again. Can't get any data out of a USB device in real-time anymore.

pcmanfm is extremely lightweight (and also is it qt-brother pcmanfm-qt). Honestly I believe this "graphical file managers are bloated" is nothing more then a way some people use to let others know how cool they (think they) are.
also,there is a spacefm port, it had everything I want..custom scripts,file association manager, but is not up to date and needs help with some parts of the port

I wrote it many times here: for example, you must download the whole message with attachments also in the case
that you want only to read the body.

Thanks for the tipps on file manager, but are anyone able to show thumbnails? For that I need a file manager, to
pre view contents.

No, I do not have the need to tell that anyone. OK, I see, pcmanfm shows thumbmails, but why errors when started?

the same warnings happen with leafpad and mousepad(gtk2) when you want save a file trough the file dialog

sorry for my ignorance,but it looks like a fetish made from a VI fan .. a nightmare
One man's nightmare is the others man's pleasure.

I use from time to time a similar terminal file manager, misc/lf.

It opens external apps for different mime types. Text, audio, video, image, etc.

It can be configure in behavior and look. The running example in the image is configured to show frames, and numbers.

misc_lf.png

I installed the package rox-filer-2.11_13: "Simple and easy to use graphical file manager."

It starts fast, does not show error messages (hopefully not hidden), and shows thumbnails.

It is part of a desktop environment, but FreeBSD has no package for it (and I do not need it):

Rox is a Beast itself . ..across the years never dies
the interface is a diferent taste but is very complete , if a recall rox use the legacy gtk2 icon theme but you can personalize itself too

..across the years never dies

From
In 1999 I created the ROX desktop, an alternative desktop environment based on user-interface concepts from RISC OS. Though now largely defunct, some people still use parts of it (including me!): [image follows]
Unfortunately defunct. I read now the manual of rox-filer:

I hope, at least rox-filer is maintained alive.

I wrote above that I do not like desktop environments, that was not 100% true, my X11+twm is a desktop environment,
configured the way I deal at best with it. With rox one seems to get also a simple, easy to understand
desktop environment. I will put now rox-filer in a twm menu.

From

Unfortunately defunct. I read now the manual of rox-filer:

I hope, at least rox-filer is maintained alive.

I wrote above that I do not like desktop environments, that was not 100% true, my X11+twm is a desktop environment,
configured the way I deal at best with it. With rox one seems to get also a simple, easy to understand
desktop environment. I will put now rox-filer in a twm menu.

I think is like pcmanfm, its a bit outdated but it works
It has very cools option, like use a general gtk2 icons theme and define individual icons for mimes, at the same time
custom action trought menus,scripts , and fast like hell
I dont use it because is missing a location bar
and I remember the important missing "feature" , copy and paste...you have to drag the file/filder to another window or specify the destination in a dialog box

I think is like pcmanfm, its a bit outdated but it works
I hope, it does not disappear together with gtk2!!!!

And the infame wayland is accelerating the process of "obsolescence".

I dont use it because is missing a location bar
The twm title shows me the directory, in the menu under window you can give a path to change location.

and I remember the important missing "feature" , copy and paste...you have to drag the file/filder to another window or specify the destination in a dialog box
Yes, you can select many items, and then drag and drop to other window or icon. You can open many windows.

It is very configurable, easy to configure, you can also set the program for generating the thumbnails, for "opening" files,
etc.

It is also an easy to configure "application manager".

Behind this file manager is a whole concept for creating a "Desktop Environment" beginning from it.

It is a typical useful simple program that makes work more effective when one takes oneself the time to understand it.

Sure, it can be improved, but first we have it as it is.

Back