Solved Is the AMD GPU RX 6800 XT Supported on FreeBSD 13.1? Yes!

I’m trying to get X working on a bare metal desktop machine. I followed the amdgpu documentation, and verified that the kernel module gets loaded (though there is only one line of output, but I’ve seen multiple for different chipsets in some other threads on this forum with slightly older cards). There is also only one line of output in dmesg. The resolution changes correctly to 4K on boot. I don’t have any X configuration files. When I generate one, it detects amdgpu for the device, but then still complains that no card could be detected on the next launch attempt when adding the location to the generated configuration file as a parameter to X. When I disable the EFI framebuffer in /boot/loader.conf the boot process output stops fairly early and never recovers (I suppose it is trying to hand over to the GPU, but no GPU is found).

It looks like the kernel module is loaded, but no card detected.

My question is if the RX 6800 XT is supported on 13.0-RELEASE, or eventually 14.0-CURRENT, or if it is currently unsupported on FreeBSD? Is there a FreeBSD success story with this card?

AMD (and Intel) GPU drivers for FreeBSD are ported from Linux, with considerable delay.

From what I read here Linux 5.10 would be the first release to support it. Meanwhile, our graphics/drm-devel-kmod is reportedly only on par with Linux 5.7, so it's highly probable that your card isn't supported yet on any version of FreeBSD.

Thanks for your reply. This was exactly the information that I was missing. Maybe in a couple more months the support will be better. Fingers crossed :)

We're now on par with Linux 5.10 on the driver side:

... but still no Navi 21 listed in graphics/gpu-firmware-amd-kmod. When that firmware finally shows up, your card should be supported.

We're now on par with Linux 5.10 on the driver side:
This is great news, and earlier than I would’ve anticipated.
... but still no Navi 21 listed in graphics/gpu-firmware-amd-kmod. When that firmware finally shows up, your card should be supported.
I’m not sure how involved the process for the firmware is, but from an amateur’s POV it looks like this is just a small, last step, and full hardware support for Navi 21 on FreeBSD 13.1 is almost there.

I hope for this to happen quick. I'm running OpenBSD on my desktop right now in the meantime. And though I like it, firefox causes insane audio stutter and I'm ready to come back to FreeBSD lol

bsduck: Are you actually sure that the firmware isn’t there yet? According to the Gentoo Wiki Navi 21 binary blobs are named sienna_cichlid_{ce,dmcub,me,mec2,mec,pfp,rlc,sdma,smc,sos,ta,vcn}.bin and they seem to be already in the repository.

I hope for this to happen quick. I'm running OpenBSD on my desktop right now in the meantime. And though I like it, firefox causes insane audio stutter and I'm ready to come back to FreeBSD lol
Maybe you can try it already. Unfortunately I didn’t have the time yet, but in theory everything should work now.

Navi 21 binary blobs are named sienna_cichlid_{ce,dmcub,me,mec2,mec,pfp,rlc,sdma,smc,sos,ta,vcn}.bin and they seem to be already in the repository.
sienna_cichlid is supported starting with 13.1. From graphics/gpu-firmware-kmod commit message:
Code:
version 20220511,1

graphics/gpu-firmware-kmod: Update to 20220511

AMD:
 - Add green_sardine and sienna_cichlid
   Both hardware are supported by drm-510-kmod and only starting
   from 13.1 we can compile longname firmware so only add them for >= 13.1

graphics/gpu-firmware-amd-kmod commit message:
Code:
version 20220511

graphics/gpu-firmware-amd-kmod: Ignore green_sardine and sienna_cichlid on <

We cannot build those firmware on < 13.1 as the names are too long for the kmod.

Is this just Navi 21 or Navi 22? I'm unsure as the code names sardine and whatever are not helpful. Just say what Navi it is? lol So hard to find out. I have a brand new 6750 that isn't working, I looked and navi14 is like the newest. So waiting for FreeBSD 14?

Is this just Navi 21 or Navi 22? I'm unsure as the code names sardine and whatever are not helpful. Just say what Navi it is? lol So hard to find out. I have a brand new 6750 that isn't working, I looked and navi14 is like the newest. So waiting for FreeBSD 14?
This card should be supported since Linux 5.11, but the current driver is based on the 5.10 kernel, see graphics/drm-510-kmod so unfortunately no luck there I guess.

I have a brand new 6750 that isn't working, I looked and navi14 is like the newest.
If it's a "AMD Radeon RX 6750 XT" (GPU codename "Navy Flounder", according to techpowerup.com, see link below) it should be supported by graphics/drm-510-kmod on 13.1.

https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/radeon-rx-6750-xt.c3879 ,
Navi 22 GPU Notes:
Rich (BB code):
Architecture Codename: Navi
Codename: Navy Flounder

drm-kmod 510-lts
Rich (BB code):
    "NAVY_FLOUNDER",