Introduce yourself, tell us who you are and why you chose FreeBSD

Hello everyone! Newbie here and I want to learn, explore, and try not to be a PITA. …

Hello :)

What is the best way to learn freeBSD?

Good question.

Resources for newcomers include two bullet points under learning. The first of the two points describes two things as essential. A recent survey revealed significant dissatisfaction with the first of the essentials – the FreeBSD Handbook.

The FreeBSD Project's Community page includes some good pointers, although this page is amongst the many that are outdated – no mention of Mastodon, and so on. Click Community in the main bar (not community to the left of the BSD Daemon (Beastie)).

… Please point me in the right direction if I am in the wrong place.

The FreeBSD Handbook is, debatably, not the best place to begin. Recommendations to read the Handbook before anything else are well-intended, enthusiastic, but somewhat out of touch with reality.

Good luck with finding the right places :)

Attachments

• 1718345525607.png
    1718345525607.png
    25.7 KB · Views: 21
  • 1718345816417.png
    1718345816417.png
    30.6 KB · Views: 20
  • 1718346409181.png
    1718346409181.png
    810.5 KB · Views: 24
  • 1718347470818.png
    1718347470818.png
    225.2 KB · Views: 23
Hello, my name is Fabio and I'm from Italy. I'm 55 and I am a Unix user since the late eighties/early nineties. I started using Linux in late 1996 but, strangely enough, only a few years ago in my professional career which spans almost thirty years.

On my personal systems I have only used Linux since 2001 and I decided that I wanted to try something new (to me), so I installed FreeBSD 14.1 on my laptop as the only OS. I am pretty surprised to have been able to come up with a very usable desktop in such a short time, a few things still don't work but it's OK.

Hello, my name is Fabio and I'm from Italy. I'm 55 and I am a Unix user since the late eighties/early nineties. I started using Linux in late 1996 but, strangely enough, only a few years ago in my professional career which spans almost thirty years.

On my personal systems I have only used Linux since 2001 and I decided that I wanted to try something new (to me), so I installed FreeBSD 14.1 on my laptop as the only OS. I am pretty surprised to have been able to come up with a very usable desktop in such a short time, a few things still don't work but it's OK.
Wdym with "a few things still don't work"? Maybe we can help you to figure out.

Tech support questions away from the intro topic, please.

Thanks

Wdym with "a few things still don't work"?

Hint: either (a) visit a person's profile, or (b) click their post count. For the latter:

Back