Introduce yourself, tell us who you are and why you chose FreeBSD

-I like the system in general, although my girlfriend said it looks like an ancient operating system
This 'ancient' system was the first on the scene with ZFS (which Linux still does a crappy job of supporting), the ports system inspired Gentoo's Portage, and it runs newer KDE than most Linux distros out there :p

That being said, there are parts that have been around forever: ifconfig(8) (predating even the FreeBSD project, since August 1983) and /etc/rc.conf(5) (since FreeBSD 2.2.2, which is May 1997)! By contrast, Linux distros keep swapping components out seemingly on a whim, just because it's the hot, new, shiny thing.

That being said, wifi cards remain FreeBSD's weak point. I had to swap out a Realtek 8821 card for an Intel 8265 in my Ideapad 720s-13ARR laptop... FreeBSD seems to play best with Intel wifi cards... but now my Ideapad runs FreeBSD/KDE, and is perfectly workable. Can't do any heavy lifting (like ports compilation while watching movies and browsing Discord/ESPN at the same time), but still more pleasant than Windows in many regards.

Main strengths,
- Two decend filesystems UFS & ZFS
- Rock stable ( no crashes)
- Compile ports with the specific options you want
- Easy editable rc scripts in /usr/local/etc/rc.d
- sndiod as alternative to pulseaudio

Weakness:
- No read/write Hammer2 filesystem.

Main strengths,
- Rock stable ( no crashes)
- Compile ports with the specific options you want
- Easy editable rc scripts in /usr/local/etc/rc.d
- sndiod as alternative to pulseaudio

Weakness:
- No read/write Hammer2 filesystem.
Why would you choose HAMMER instead UFS/ZFS?

Main strengths,
I wouldn't call UFS and ZFS "decent filesystems".

UFS has weathered the times fiercely; thank you Marshall Kirk McKusick for all your continuously enduring effort and care! It remains the first choice in a wide range of FreeBSD configurations. ZFS owes much to Jeff Bonwick and Matthew Ahrens as its inventors and initial developers, followed by a bigger team at Sun. ZFS has been transformed from a single OS supported filesystem at Sun to a multiple OS supported one*.

FreeBSD and therefore UFS builds on the support of all those who contribute; so does ZFS.

ZFS as a concept has been a success and I think it can justifiably be called a filesystem of great production quality for at least three OS-es that have equal top-tier support in development (Illumos, Linux & FreeBSD). In its multiple OS-support, functionality and developer community it has no equal.

ZFS has transformed into OpenZFS under the continuing leadership of Matthew Ahrens and others. I cannot think of any other (open source) software project that—by the way is also at the core of an OS—has managed to thrive, extend its support cross platform and has succeeded in creating such a broad developer & user community. A truly remarkable feat!

___
* ZFS as a concept also includes ZFS-Oracle, although that has taken a closed source direction.

ZFS Note,
My (open)zfs versions is "zfs-2.1.99-1".
According to Sirdice it is not production ready, but i don't see blocking issues in my use.

UFS Note,
Two ufs features which is don't use.
- 1. snapshots
- 2. Background filesystem check
Two features i do use:
- 1. soft-updates
- 2. journaling

ZFS Note,
My (open)zfs versions is "zfs-2.1.99-1".
According to Sirdice it is not production ready, but i don't see blocking issues in my use.

UFS Note,
Two ufs features which is don't use.
- 1. snapshots
- 2. Background filesystem check
Two features i do use:
- 1. soft-updates
- 2. journaling
ZFS is good for all of that, and then some. I like the fact that resizing/limiting datasets can be done at any time, and doesn't force a reinstallation of the entire machine. Try that with any other filesystem! 😁

I am an avid go player.

Bought a used Celeron J4125 thin client to have some fun with different operating systems and had the most fun with FreeBSD. The outstanding FreeBSD/Gnome experience on the J4125 motivated me migrate my main Ryzen 3600X system to FreeBSD too. I appreciate especially the coherent structure of FreeBSD and its documentation.

I love to play go on OGS on my FreeBSD computers and analyze my games with AI-Sensei. The experience on FreeBSD is pure and enjoyable because I can configure the OS to my minimalist needs and preferences.

I feel grateful for FreeBSD.

Hello friends. I spent most of my career supporting software that ran on CentOS but am a consultant now. My current role is less technical and most of our clients are Windows Shops so I wanted a Unix based project for home. I played around w/ FreeBSD years ago, I remember thinking that the doc's were great, and I really liked the way that the Absolute FreeBSD book was written; I just bought the latest edition of that book and am enjoying learning the subtle differences between BSD and Linux.

Hello friends. I spent most of my career supporting software that ran on CentOS but am a consultant now. My current role is less technical and most of our clients are Windows Shops so I wanted a Unix based project for home

Hiya. I thought I recognized you from GitHub. Some of your projects (i.e samurai, cproc) are really interesting. Also your work on making small/light Wayland compositors is great to see rather than all these heavy unmaintainable beasts that people seem to be happy using currently.

Hiya. I thought I recognized you from GitHub. Some of your projects (i.e samurai, cproc) are really interesting. Also your work on making small/light Wayland compositors is great to see rather than all these heavy unmaintainable beasts that people seem to be happy using currently.
I appreciate the outreach but I think you have me mistaken w/ someone else, I've never posted to GitHub.

Hey there. One of my clients uses FreeBSD for their main products. The elegance of ZFS, the documentation and the general (relative) simplicity of it all got me hooked pretty good. I'm by no means an expert, but I'm not afraid of some tinkering and know enough to be dangerous.

I'd say I'm a "recovering 'fullstack' developer" and trying to become sane again by learning about keeping things simple. The state of (frontend) dev might have literally crushed my mind. I'm reading and studying "old school" tech and ideas like the Unix philosophy, whose demise, I find, to have been greatly exaggerated.

I'm Sam, I live in Minnesota USA, I'm 63 years old. I'm new to FreeBSD (not yet installed) and I'm taking my time before installing because I would like to have my ducks in a row. I'm a bit long-winded please bear with me. I'm not a computer science degreed person, social work was my degree, and a certificate in computer programming several years later, a bunch of ms certs as well.
I have worked in technology for (far to long) over 30 years. My first job in tech was as at a small company, the company used NCR Tower hardware with UNIX, COBOL development (inventory and accounting). My first PC was a Tandy Color Computer in the early 1980's.
I have worked on IBM/Amdahl mainframe, Netware 2.x & 3.x & 4.x, DOS 2-5, Windows 3.x & NT 3.51 through the present. Redhat 4.x and ran Fedora for a while.
I have a couple RPi's that run PIOS (debian) one is a LAMP the other is git (which is making me crazy at the moment), windows 10 desktop, and a windows 11 laptop. I love my RPi's I'm looking at retirement in a few years, when I go I want to be off the MS products. I presently work for a large bank in application development.
I collect records (vinyl records), play some guitar and bass, concerts are the best, I ski and ride bicycle, some yoga.
I'm not stupid but I get stuck at times with troubleshooting, kind of like writers block (maybe it's just being 63...).
I'm compiling the list of hardware I have so I can know they will work after installation of FreeBSD.

Thanks,
Sam.

I may be a little premature in posting here, since I've not even done a test install of FreeBSD on a VM or anything as of yet, but I'm at the point where it feels like my move to FreeBSD pretty much feels as though it's a foregone conclusion.

I've been using Linux exclusively for personal use for around. . . Coming up on 20 years now, and nearly all of that has been on Slackware with the odd jaunt over to Arch for a year or so. Ran CentOS on my desktop for about the same amount of time just because I thought it'd be the lazy option to go with on account of the workstations and servers used by my employer at the time were CentOS boxes — that ended up being a waste, as it just brought annoyance home with me.

I've always been interested in going the BSD route for a while, as I like the idea of sticking with as much of a Unix approach as possible, but never had too much of a push to because Slackware is a great distro and easy to get into a groove with. The (perceived lack of, at the time) hardware support for BSDs in general was my biggest point of hesitation, but that seems to have been seeing a great deal advancement over the past several years. More and more, though, I had to acknowledge I was more enthusiastic about using Slackware than using "Linux", and I've seen more and more over the past several years to make me less than comfortable with the direction that Linux, kernel and shorthand, have been and seem to be inescapably headed.

I don't pretend to be more of an expert than the dudes who are actually putting in the work and design efforts, but I do have my personal priorities like anyone else. As much as I appreciate and respect much of what Linux, GNU, and related efforts has been able to accomplish over the years, I can't help but feel that the growth has been at the expense of severe compromise to practical autonomy. With the permissiveness in acceptance and deep adoption of technologies that radically alter the fundamental "Unix-like" character of the broader Linux ecosystem (at the risk of losing further points for originality, I'll use the go-to examples of eager implementation of the Nyarlathotep beast that is the now-ubiquitous systemd, and cozying up to Microsoft and willingly allowing them to run the extend, embrace, extinguish con on the whole game) the forecast I end up with for long-term independence for the projects and users leads isn't very cheery.

But that's alright. Things change and projects and users go different directions. I'm just happy that there are options, and especially of the quality that seem to define the offerings here in BSD territory. There's new tools I get to use and different ways of doing things that, so far, read as more immediately intuitive to me. And that's pretty awesome.

EDIT: Made a pretty heavy edit to more accurately reflect my sentiments here. First draft came across as way too whiny and doom-driven. I know better than to write about anything I care about before having any coffee, and yet, , ,

I have come and gone from the BSD side of things, but due to the fact that several healthcare as a service platforms that I use regularly for example require running either Windows or Linux on your bare metal hardware I really haven't strayed away from running Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 7series releases the worst of which I betterhelp.com. So my hands are kind of tied as to what OS I can run directly on my Workstation. However, I am strongly considering springing up a couple of FreeBSD vms maybe a twelve-series release and a 13.x series release.

One thing that has stopped me from doing the aforementioned activity is fear that The "hardcore" people in the FreeBSD community may not want to help me solve any problem that I may run int. Over the past 23 + odd years of my experience as a user of both of the forks of the original BSD-4.3 code from the late eighties early nineties I've learned a lot about what computing freedom means to me, and one of the biggest takeaways from the whole BSD/Linux debate was to actually take a very deep and thorough dive into the history of the forks \theese two forks of the original AT&T Bell laboratories System V Unix code base have gone in almost two completely different directions. What really sickens me is the vitriolic back-and-forth flame wars between diehard fans of either fork of the original BSD-4.3 source code.

Hi All!

My name is Vladimir, and I'm with FreeBSD as my favourite tool from far 5.3 RELEASE :)
Now I'm use it in various ways: My home PC - on FreeBSD with IceWM, many my employers infrastructure builded by me on FreeBSD: Samba with AD connected, Mail servers, Web servers and routers with IPFW and VPN.

Also several VPS for web-applications and sites, and VPS I'm choose decided on is it BSD-supported.
So I wish long live to FreeBSD project and not go to compromise with such toxic ideas like systemd!

Hi all

My name Zainal, I have old laptop Asus X45U with 500GB hdd, 2GB ram and slackware as primary OS. When playing with slackware somehow I've got enlightment, why not using FreeBSD as primary OS because I never use FreeBSD before, so without a doubt once again I format the disk with FreeBSD installer, setup it as primary OS, playing with desktop environment from kde to cinnamon back to kde again. Also I download application for development like vs code, docker, git because I'm planning to use this laptop for working too.

And now here I am with FreeBSD install as primary OS on my secondary laptop, I'm happy with the setup and I planning to use FreeBSD on VPS as web server.

Hi all

My name Zainal, I have old laptop Asus X45U with 500GB hdd, 2GB ram and slackware as primary OS. When playing with slackware somehow I've got enlightment, why not using FreeBSD as primary OS because I never use FreeBSD before, so without a doubt once again I format the disk with FreeBSD installer, setup it as primary OS, playing with desktop environment from kde to cinnamon back to kde again. Also I download application for development like vs code, docker, git because I'm planning to use this laptop for working too.

And now here I am with FreeBSD install as primary OS on my secondary laptop, I'm happy with the setup and I planning to use FreeBSD on VPS as web server.
Zamon, since You are new on FreeBSD after Linux - what is your opinion about the system and the feeling of working in it?

Hi All
My name is Hosney Osman From Egypt, working in information technology field
20 years of experience, now i am a solution architect in Multi National Company
reason for FreeBSD i am trying to change demand from Linux To FreeBSD

I have come and gone from the BSD side of things, but due to the fact that several healthcare as a service platforms that I use regularly for example require running either Windows or Linux on your bare metal hardware I really haven't strayed away from running Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 7series releases the worst of which I betterhelp.com. So my hands are kind of tied as to what OS I can run directly on my Workstation. However, I am strongly considering springing up a couple of FreeBSD vms maybe a twelve-series release and a 13.x series release.

One thing that has stopped me from doing the aforementioned activity is fear that The "hardcore" people in the FreeBSD community may not want to help me solve any problem that I may run int. Over the past 23 + odd years of my experience as a user of both of the forks of the original BSD-4.3 code from the late eighties early nineties I've learned a lot about what computing freedom means to me, and one of the biggest takeaways from the whole BSD/Linux debate was to actually take a very deep and thorough dive into the history of the forks \theese two forks of the original AT&T Bell laboratories System V Unix code base have gone in almost two completely different directions. What really sickens me is the vitriolic back-and-forth flame wars between diehard fans of either fork of the original BSD-4.3 source code.
Welcome to the forums. Don’t worry about running FreeBSD in a VM, as many of us here do that, so you will find plenty of people eager to help with any questions or issues that come up.

Zamon, since You are new on FreeBSD after Linux - what is your opinion about the system and the feeling of working in it?
I spent all day playing FreeBSD from installing desktop environment to compiling kernel which is failed and make me more curious for 4 days until I have success make my custom kernel, when installing FreeBSD I'm surprise that installation process is faster compare to Slackware installation and doesn't eat many storage at first install (I don't have screenshot but I know because I already compare). When installing Slackware I'm choosing the package one by one, not choosing kde and x windows for faster install.

Linux distro have their own structure especially in /etc for example ubuntu and slackware. Changing distro means you must learn how to install package with that distro, setting firewall, network etc... Sometimes this is frustrating for me, I know because I already setup web server using debian, ubuntu, centos (not using slackware because my client is not convenient with the distro).

As I said before I want to make my old laptop for working purpose (I'm a web developer) so this is not just experimental setup and then back again install Slackware.. no I'm not planning like that, right now I'm happy with my FreeBSD setup, I already download visual studio code and docker (then I found it useless because FreeBSD already have jail feature.. oh well😅)

I don't want to compare FreeBSD with Linux distro and start holy wars, they are different system if you know what I mean. For me FreeBSD is simple yet powerful OS and yes this time I switching full to FreeBSD and I'm preparing to deploy my work along with FreeBSD as web server.

So yeah if you planning to use FreeBSD as primary OS in your laptop, I think you should do it. just my two cent🙏

Back