Introduce yourself, tell us who you are and why you chose FreeBSD

Trihexagonal

Son of Beastie

I noticed my boxes at start or shutdown will display a message like "system is updating wait...." and I will wait for the computer to do its business.
I've got a a Kali 2021.2 rolling release box on metal and have never seen any SystemD message of any kind.

I did look at the Task Manager yesterday and it's running, but it's not been a resource concern and nothing gets updated withoug me entering the sudo password. Which I've gotten used to using but su and working as root till I'm done is my prefered way. I know you can change it back to that but why bother now.

Last edited:

NeilAlieN75

Slackware since 97. FreeBSD since 2018. Why FreeBSD? Well it just feels like its glued together must better than all the rest. I love the filesystem hierarchy. Oh and the roots.. much more grounded.

limo

Hi,
I am back to Open Source Software (I was on Linux honestly) after being away for almost 8 years. Though I happily lived with Linux (for me it was the concept of freedom of open source as a principal, and freedom from abuse) since 2000 till 2013. (Efi and UEFI stuff kept me out and I was quite busy, didn’t have time to struggle with it).

Recently retired and I’m all free again.

I recently tried quite a few Linux distros over the past few weeks but to be honest, BSD in general was always like teasing me as I read a lot about its stability, performance and security as compared to other OSs.

What I love mainly about Open Source Software -in addition to freedom and quality… etc.- is the community.

EDIT: I am trying now to make a USB flash disk bootable to try.

I hope I’m welcome!
Thank you.

grahamperrin

Daemon

1. My childhood included these, and a 1976 summer camp that included late night solo and relay streaking, suitably facilitated by camp organisers (Big J, Little J, L and D: thank you)
  2. my voice broke at the relatively early age of eleven (again, thank you)
  3. in my youth I collected things such as this, this, this and this
  4. my first car was a 1965 Hillman Super Minx
  5. if (as in TV advertisements) you aspire to driving a big car through the countryside with not another vehicle in sight, please know that blue Venetian blinds will not help when you go off-road … I was sad when the previous car went to the scrapyard
  6. stuff, stuff and more stuff before and after what's above
  7. I used and managed Macs, including XServe and XServe RAID, for around twenty-one years … made no attempt to archive the public and private websites that I managed/created (if I recall correctly, the Wayback Machine didn't really lend itself to things such as Plone content)
  8. privately, I was the 405th member of AppleSeed (when AppleSeed was a pretty much a secret) … publicly, my reputation was (still is) OK
  9. I sort of switched to PC-BSD, then TrueOS, both of which offered ease of use that taught me to be fearless about straying from -RELEASE, so I switched to FreeBSD -CURRENT
  10. I'm not famous for this, but partly thanks to me you can more easily refer to points within pages at FreshPorts (the #add example at <https://forums.FreeBSD.org/threads/82319/post-535009>, and so on) – What HTML anchors exist?
Hello.

grahamperrin

Daemon

… Macs … I sort of switched to PC-BSD, then TrueOS, … switched to FreeBSD -CURRENT …

My ramblings didn't answer the opening post:

… why you chose FreeBSD

Through private conversation today, I randomly stumbled across a 2018 explanation for a switch away from a FreeBSD-based system, to Linux

… the earlier switch, away from Apple, was essentially a reaction to (Yosemite) removal of the title bar from Safari. I'm passionate about UX.

astyle

Daemon

Trihexagonal

Son of Beastie

Yes, for someone that is a stickler for people who go off-topic and will start a new thread to Moderate them you allow yourself liberal latitude in doing it, Johnny Appleseed.🍎🪀🥅 🎱

publicly, my reputation was (still is) OK
Depends on where you look.🏦 ⌚✂️🎯💩

I sort of switched to PC-BSD, then TrueOS, both of which offered ease of use that taught me to be fearless about straying from -RELEASE, so I switched to FreeBSD -CURRENT
I sot of helped PC-BSD get started, get their priorities right when it came to Xsystems money becoming their focus and brought them back to the flock, and in the end, you won't find any official sign of PB-BSD ever having existed but the hungry ghost of Weixiong who here with me.

And Weixiong wants some XXXLarge FreeBSD T-shirts as swag! That's all, but lots of them. Because I was with them for 7 years that were wiped from history and if Dru and the Less Moore Bros are righteous enough to be supported in representing and promoting FreeBSD, so am I and it's time I am.

I'm calling a microaggression, before it goes macro. It's how I got started.

grahamperrin

Daemon

… googling the term AppleSeed …

Things now are very different. I joined long before the brief blaze of publicity for the (non-exclusive) Beta Seed Program, through which millions of people learnt of the existence of Apple Software Customer Seeding.

For people in an early era, AppleSeed was not only exclusive, it was also very discreet. So discreet that almost no-one mentioned its existence publicly (I recall a brief private uproar when a member used the word in a public forum). First rule of Fight Club, which is nowadays written in humour however there was a time when (for AppleSeed) it was, like, an unwritten rule. 2012:

Flashback to 2006: the AppleSeed home page powered by WebObjects!

astyle

Daemon

Things now are very different. I joined long before the brief blaze of publicity for the (non-exclusive) Beta Seed Program, through which millions of people learnt of the existence of Apple Software Customer Seeding.

For people in an early era, AppleSeed was not only exclusive, it was also very discreet. So discreet that almost no-one mentioned its existence publicly (I recall a brief private uproar when a member used the word in a public forum). First rule of Fight Club, which is nowadays written in humour however there was a time when (for AppleSeed) it was, like, an unwritten rule. 2012:

Flashback to 2006: the AppleSeed home page powered by WebObjects!
Sounds like any governmental spy agency on this blue planet should be taking lessons from Apple! 🤣

jammied

Basically, wanted to get away from Linux. BSD development I feel is less of a mess and seems to be a better written OS.

Also, if I want to develop improvements to the OS I use, I feel it is lot more realistic to be starting with BSD over Linux. I generally see Linux as an OS for people getting their first taste of a more technical world but who still have a hell of a lot to learn. I am also not a great fan of "benevolent dictatorships", even if said "benevolent dictator" does make some amusing digs at the likes of Nvidia and at C++ developers....