Solved Intel Xeon X5550 and X5660 Bhyve

Good morning everyone! I just got my X8DTT-F Dual CPU and Installed Intel X5550 on it, but when I install Iohyve it says I need a 5600 Series CPU UG Support needed ( VMX Unrestricted Mode ), and I'm eying on Intel X5660. What I'm confused about is, isn't 5500 series also supposed to be supported? Because if thats the case, then maybe when I buy the X5660 it also won't work.

Also will X5660 Support more than 1 VM? Thank you! :)

The X5660 is a Westmere which has Unrestricted Guest support and will be able to support more than 1 vCPU in a guest. This is because the APs in a guest have to be booted in power-on state, which is 16-bit real mode.

The X5550 is a Nehalem, which has EPT but as you've found, doesn't have UG. (Note it can support more than 1 FreeBSD VM, just not with more than 1 vCPU).

The X5660 is a Westmere which has Unrestricted Guest support and will be able to support more than 1 vCPU in a guest. This is because the APs in a guest have to be booted in power-on state, which is 16-bit real mode.

The X5550 is a Nehalem, which has EPT but as you've found, doesn't have UG. (Note it can support more than 1 FreeBSD VM, just not with more than 1 vCPU).

Thank you so much grehan@! I was scared to to buy X5660 as it costs alot, now I'm confident it will work. Thank you! :)

I just got second hand HP DL380 2xXeon5660 128GB RAM for $350 :D Xeon 5660 ale older but I guess some kind of one of the first of E5 series.. still a lot chaper when you look at second hand hardware nowadays.. I can make buildworld in 45 minutes now (instead 9 hours on my i5 laptop).. and still there may be some optimizations with devel/ccache-memcached-static :)

Back