Integrated Graphics (Unknown) on ASUS Prime B360M-A (Can't get Xorg running)

4_20200904_095832.jpg
4_20200904_095832.jpg

I do not know why every time I uploaded a picture it posted twice. My apologies. I couldn't remedy. (Some are multiple pages).

Did you apply your patch after make extract & before you did make reinstall?
mjollnir,

Do you mean doing a "cp" with "i915_pciids.h" from

full path: /usr/ports/graphics/drm-fbsd12.0-kmod/work/kms-drm-99da0ba/include/drm

to :

/usr/ports/graphics/drm-fbsd12.0-kmod/include/drm/ ?

If so; the answer is no. And this would explain why it didn't work if this patch does indeed work.

Would that be the right course of action?

mjollnir,

Do you mean doing a "cp" with "i915_pciids.h" from

full path: /usr/ports/graphics/drm-fbsd12.0-kmod/work/kms-drm-99da0ba/include/drm

to :

/usr/ports/graphics/drm-fbsd12.0-kmod/include/drm/ ?

If so; the answer is no. And this would explain why it didn't work if this patch does indeed work.

Would that be the right course of action?

Don't copy or move the file anywhere. It must remain where it is.

Did you apply your patch after make extract & before you did make reinstall?
mjollnir,

I am not certain what you mean by apply my patch. If you mean editing the existing .h file and changing the 6 to an 8 and saving it. Then issuing the command "make reinstall" ; then I would say after "make extract" which pulled down the package into "work" directory; then edited the .h file; saved the file; "make reinstall" (which worked) , reverted the rc.conf to intel and xorg.conf to intel and restarted the system and logged in as I normally would.

Thanks!

Dear StreetDancer,
regarding the patching or modification of i915_pciids.h you can generate a patch which survives an svn update.

First
Code:
cd /usr/ports/x11-drivers/xf86-video-intel
make clean
make fetch
make extract
make patch
Make a backup of the ./files/ and store it at a safe place, just to be sure. Go to the directory where i915_pciids.h is located and make a copy of the original file as i915_pciids.h.orig. Then change i915_pciids.h as desired. Afterwards generate the patch from the ports root directory as below.
Code:
make makepatch
patch-src_i915_pciids.h has appeared in /usr/ports/x11-drivers/xf86-video-intel/files. Check if the changes are as desired. Then run make clean and restore the original files of that directory. The next time the port is build the include file will be patched, too.

This should be the resulting file - if I have changed the correct position:
Code:
--- src/i915_pciids.h.orig    2020-09-04 17:30:22 UTC
+++ src/i915_pciids.h
@@ -487,7 +487,7 @@
 #define INTEL_CFL_S_GT2_IDS(info) \
     INTEL_VGA_DEVICE(0x3E91, info), /* SRV GT2 */ \
     INTEL_VGA_DEVICE(0x3E92, info), /* SRV GT2 */ \
-    INTEL_VGA_DEVICE(0x3E96, info), /* SRV GT2 */ \
+    INTEL_VGA_DEVICE(0x3E98, info), /* SRV GT2 */ \
     INTEL_VGA_DEVICE(0x3E98, info), /* SRV GT2 */ \
     INTEL_VGA_DEVICE(0x3E9A, info)  /* SRV GT2 */

Dear StreetDancer,
regarding the patching or modification of i915_pciids.h you can generate a patch which survives an svn update.

First
Code:
make clean
make fetch
make extract
make patch
Make a backup of the ./files/ and store it at a safe place, just to be sure. Go to the directory where i915_pciids.h is located and make a copy of the original file as i915_pciids.h.orig. Then change i915_pciids.h as desired. Afterwards generate the patch from the ports root directory as below.
Code:
make makepatch
patch-src_i915_pciids.h has appeared in /usr/ports/x11-drivers/xf86-video-intel/files. Check if the changes are as desired. Then run make clean and restore the original files of that directory. The next time the port is build the include file will be patched, too.

This should be the resulting file - if I have changed the correct position:
Code:
--- src/i915_pciids.h.orig    2020-09-04 17:30:22 UTC
+++ src/i915_pciids.h
@@ -487,7 +487,7 @@
#define INTEL_CFL_S_GT2_IDS(info) \
     INTEL_VGA_DEVICE(0x3E91, info), /* SRV GT2 */ \
     INTEL_VGA_DEVICE(0x3E92, info), /* SRV GT2 */ \
-    INTEL_VGA_DEVICE(0x3E96, info), /* SRV GT2 */ \
+    INTEL_VGA_DEVICE(0x3E98, info), /* SRV GT2 */ \
     INTEL_VGA_DEVICE(0x3E98, info), /* SRV GT2 */ \
     INTEL_VGA_DEVICE(0x3E9A, info)  /* SRV GT2 */
chrbr,

Thank you very much for such a detailed write-up to assist me with not having updates overwrite my patch. Awesome! :)

I don't think this patch has been proven to work yet. Once it does! I will most certainly walk through these steps and reply back! Thank you again!!!

Best Regards,

~ Brandon

@chrbr I'm afraid you misunderstood the situation, x11-drivers/xf86-video-intel is not the port needing patching but graphics/drm-fbsd12.0-kmod.
Ok, I misunderstood which port to modify. But my intention has been to show how to generate a patch. I can make the patch file for the other port, too.

[EDIT] Better not, make extract requires the kernel sources I do not have. I am not keen to download them, only if it is really wanted.

Lets test the manually modified pciid file first, make the patch later. There is no sense in creating patches when the whole procedure doesn't end up.

According to

x11-drivers/xf86-video-intel is optional and xorg.conf not needed. StreetDancer please remove / rename xorg.conf, and make sure you are in the member of the "video" group, check if the driver is loaded, run kldstat, if it's not restart or kldload /boot/modules/i915kms.ko the driver, then try startx.

First lets test the manually modified pciid file first, make the patch later. There is no sense in creating patches when the whole procedure doesn't end up.
This is clearly true. I have not so much experience in the X11 setup. Therefore I will better not interfer :beer::).

Lets test the manually modified pciid file first, make the patch later. There is no sense in creating patches when the whole procedure doesn't end up.

According to

x11-drivers/xf86-video-intel is optional and xorg.conf not needed. StreetDancer please remove / rename xorg.conf, and make sure you are in the member of the "video" group, check if the driver is loaded, run kldstat, if it's not restart or kldload /boot/modules/i915kms.ko the driver, then try startx.
My last posts are after I removed xorg.conf and my user is a member of "wheel" and I was told by the handbook, I believe that it's equal to video group. (Has always worked on everything else; including the vesa drivers).

We did however generate new errors on output that wasn't shown before.

Oh yes, while we're at it, here's my Standard disclaimer ;) : install the docs: pkg install {de,en}-freebsd-doc, replace de with your native tongue, and point your favorite browser to /usr/local/share/doc/freebsd.

You can add to the ALIAS section of /usr/local/etc/pkg.conf message: "query '[%C/%n] %M'",, read through all pkg message|less, and apply the requested settings.

Back