Integrated Graphics (Unknown) on ASUS Prime B360M-A (Can't get Xorg running)

Hey everyone!

Installed FreeBSD 12.1-RELEASE updated and I have tried so many different combinations of configurations and packages to try and get X launched.

Currently I have the following added to my /etc/rc.conf:

Code:
dbus_enable="YES"
hald_enable="YES"
kld_list="/boot/modules/i915kms.ko"

I also have "driver-intel.conf" in /usr/local/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/ with the following contents:

Code:
Section "Device"
               Identifier "Card0"
               Driver     "intel"
               # BusID  "PCI:1:0:0"
EndSection

^ --- Have also tried with "PCI:0:2:0" which was identified in a Xorg.conf.new from a /root/ "Xorg -configure" command at one time. (I have formatted once so far. I accidently broke the /etc/rc.conf with the intel i915kms.ko without quotes on the end and it broke my start-up and I couldn't rescue with GELI for some reason.

Anyways...

In my /home/username/ i have ".xinitrc" which contains:

Code:
ck-launch-session dbus-launch --exit-with-session startlxde
exec startlxde

Normally this works like a charm. However... this is what happens when I kick off # startx from username:

* I cannot paste the full error because I do not know how* - Writing this post on a laptop.
Code:
Log file: "/var/log/Xorg.0.log"
Using config directory: "/usr/local/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d"
Using system config directory "/usr/local/share/X11/xorg.conf.d"
(EE)
Fatal server errror:
(EE) no screens found (EE)
(EE)
(EE) Server terminated with error (1) Closing log file.
xinit: giving up
xinit: unable to connect to X server: Connection refused
xinit: server error

Inside /var/log/Xorg.0.log I get :
* I am only putting lines that stand out to me here since I can't type it all up.
Code:
LoadModule: "glx"
LoadModule: "intel"
Intel: Driver for Intel(R) Integrated Graphics Chipsets: i819 - B43 (Very long list of supported models / drivers).
460.358 (II) intel: Driver for Intel(R) HD Graphics
460.358 (II) intel: Driver for Intel(R) Iris(TM) Graphics
460.358 (--) Using syscons driver with X support (version 2.0)
460.358 (--) Using VT number 9

460.361 (EE) No devices detected
460.361 (EE)
Fatal server error:
460:361  (EE) no screens found (EE)

I have gnome, kde and lxde using sddm login manager installed. (This is my standard setup on my other systems which have worked well).

Could it have to do with a BIOS setting? I am unfamiliar with contemporary computer hardware.

Thank you in advance.

If anyone knows what is wrong! Please let me know! Thanks :)

Best Regards,

Brandon

Please run # pciconf -vl | grep -B3 display.

Please use misc/pastebinit. Usage <command> | pastebinit, e.g.: cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log | pastebinit will return an URL, post that URL.
T-Daemon,

Thanks for being bad*ss!

First thing:

a) pciconf -vl | grep -B3 display returned the following:

Code:
vgapci0@pci0:0:2:0: class=0x030000 card=0x86941043 chip=0x3e988086 rev=0x02 hdr=0x00
        vendor         =  'Intel Corporation'
         device          =  'UHD Graphics 630 (Desktop 9 Series)'
         class             =  display

b) After installing 'pastebinit' ; I ran the query you set me up with and it output the following error regarding the DEV API being invalid:

root@local: /var/log # pastebinit Xorg.0.log | pastebinit and the output is :

Code:
Bad API request, invalid api_dev_key

Thank you very much, now I know my graphics card! :)

Best Regards,

Brandon

1.20200904_012306.jpg

Referring to

you linked to, if the case is the missing pci id of the chip ( 0x3e98 ), then you need to patch. Currently the patch hasn't been merged into any of the drm-*kmod.

You should still be able to use the SCFB driver by simply installing
Code:
xf86-video-scfb
from packages/ports and letting xorg autoconfigure itself (i.e. move all the manual xorg graphics config files out of the way or delete them) if you do not want to install any prerelease FreeBSD versions.

For me that works perfectly fine even with HiDPI on my brand new Dell from 2020 (fast enough for all office work, videos etc) and allows me to wait for FreeBSD 13 being released some time next year where I hope to switch to i915 drivers.

Referring to

you linked to, if the case is the missing pci id of the chip ( 0x3e98 ), then you need to patch. Currently the patch hasn't been merged into any of the drm-*kmod.
Last night before bed I attempted to install the patch and it said it was already installed. I believe I will have to wait before it works.

You should still be able to use the SCFB driver by simply installing
Code:
xf86-video-scfb
from packages/ports and letting xorg autoconfigure itself (i.e. move all the manual xorg graphics config files out of the way or delete them) if you do not want to install any prerelease FreeBSD versions.

For me that works perfectly fine even with HiDPI on my brand new Dell from 2020 (fast enough for all office work, videos etc) and allows me to wait for FreeBSD 13 being released some time next year where I hope to switch to i915 drivers.
pebkac,

I just checked that package and it has already been installed. I did what you said and have the following:

/etc/rc.conf:

I removed the i915kms.ko load

I removed all the .conf files within xorg's config.d directory and ran auto configure. I then copied from /root/xorg.conf.new to the xorg's config.d directory.

I went to the line where it said "intel" and changed it to "scfb"; restarted and startx worked liked a charm under 1024x768 graphics.

Is this the maximum resolution that you have right now? And thank you again for helping me get something on my screen until this gets resolved or I can acquire a compatible PCI Express Card!

As always... FreeBSD is Supreme! Thank you all for your time and expertise!

Thanks!

Best Regards,

~ Brandon

See https://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/x-config.html chapter 5.4.5 SCFB example, that is what I used.

You should not need anything else for graphics as far as I remember.

If it does not work, let me know, then I can have a second look at my configuration.
pebkac,

Take a look at my previous post again! I appreciate your SOLVE! :)

1024x768 and running LXDE. Much obliged!

I wonder how long it will take to get more than 1024x768 now.

Best Regards,

~ Brandon

Which port is it you tried to patch? I've looked in graphics/drm-fbsd12.0-kmod i915_pciids.h, but no hint of chip id 0x3E98.
T-Daemon,

I am trying to remember as I just wokeup within the last hour and my head is so groggy. I believe I was reading a thread that said the patch was old and since it was old the solution to check was to run a "make install clean" or "make reinstall clean" on port graphics/drm-fbsd12.0-kmod to check to see if the patch was applied.

I wish I could source this now. I did attempt a make reinstall from source and it was already installed correctly. (Apparently that assumed the patch doesn't/wouldn't make a difference).

I do not even understand the patch at this time.

Best Regards,

~ Brandon

The patch in question is included in 4.20 and later versions (as the brach labels under the commit message helpfully suggest). Now, drm-fbsd12.0-kmod is supposed to be updated to 5.4 (?) either somewhere around 12.2 release or after 12.1 EOL.

By the way, as an ESL speaker I absolutely hate "solve" being used as a noun. It's not cute and it requires me to read each sentence twice.

The patch in question is included in 4.20 and later versions (as the brach labels under the commit message helpfully suggest). Now, drm-fbsd12.0-kmod is supposed to be updated to 5.4 (?) either somewhere around 12.2 release or after 12.1 EOL.

By the way, as an ESL speaker I absolutely hate "solve" being used as a noun. It's not cute and it requires me to read each sentence twice.
shkhln,

The patch you say is included in 4.20; do you know if this is available in 13-snapshots 09/03/2020 image?

Regarding you being an ESL speaker; What do you prefer to see as opposed to "solve" ?

I have OCD/Autism with very little formal education at this time in life.

Thanks again for all your help!

Best Regards,

~ Brandon

"Solution" instead of "solve"? StreetDancer, usually you don't need to invoke Xorg --configure, the automagic works fine in most cases. Concerning your resolution RTFM loader.conf(5): e.g. efi_max_resolution="720p" & vt(4): kern.vt.fb.default_mode="<X>x<Y>"/ kern.vt.fb.modes.<connector>="<X>x<Y>" (in /boot/loader.conf). grep vt.fb.modes /var/run/dmesg.boot to see the names of screen connectors.

Back