Integrated Graphics (Unknown) on ASUS Prime B360M-A (Can't get Xorg running)

"Solution" instead of "solve"? StreetDancer, usually you don't need to invoke Xorg --configure, the automagic works fine in most cases. Concerning your resolution RTFM loader.conf(5): e.g. efi_max_resolution="720p" & vt(4): kern.vt.fb.default_mode="<X>x<Y>"/ kern.vt.fb.modes.<connector>="<X>x<Y>" (in /boot/loader.conf). grep vt.fb.modes /var/run/dmesg.boot to see the names of screen connectors.
mjollnir,

"Solution" instead of "solve"; I agree is more suitable. Many ways to discover/create solutions; and solve means the OP problem was resolved and the "Solution" is within the thread.

Regarding Xorg --configure ... I do not know how to utilize "automagic" or what it is. Everything following this from RTFM to screen connectors is 100% foreign to me. I am certain it's valuable and very important.

Thank you!

Best Regards,

~ Brandon

CURRENT already has drm-devel-kmod-5.4.58.g20200818, but we neither support nor recommend it here.
shkhln,

I understand the non-support or recommendation. It appears I am left with the following choices:

a) Enjoy a FreeBSD 12.1-Current LXDE experience in 1024x768 (Thank you all very much, btw).

b) Install CURRENT and cross my fingers it works!

c) Purchase a new graphics card in the meantime while I wait for RELEASE to patch intel915.

Thank you all again!

~ Best Regards,

Brandon

The patch in question is included in 4.20 and later versions (as the brach labels under the commit message helpfully suggest).

A search for 0x3E98 returns "no matching code found" I've checked some of the branches manually, but no hint to the device id. Have I overlooked something?

If the case is only the device id shouldn't it be sufficient to add the missing id manually to i916_pciids.h instead of waiting until 4.20, or is there more behind?

User ateslik from Thread intel-uhd-graphics-630-support-no-screens-found-freebsd-12-0-release.71672 claims to have the issue resolved by adding the id.

Regarding Xorg --configure ... I do not know how to utilize "automagic" or what it is. Everything following this from RTFM to screen connectors is 100% foreign to me. I am certain it's valuable and very important.
  • Xorg(1) automagic: no configuration files at all, Xorg figures all out itself
  • RTFM: Read the fine manual, although sometimes you can read it as "Read the f*g manual"...
  • grep(1) the connector name from /var/run/dmesg.boot as given above if you want to connect more than one monitor.
  • Else just set e.g. kern.vt.fb.default_mode="1280x1024" in loader.conf(5) to the maximum resolution of your screen & reboot. But beware that applies to all monitors that you connect to that machine. This should enable higher resolutions. The scfb(4) video driver is sufficient for average desktop use-case unless you want 3D gaming or CAD/CAM or such.
When you have that, you can still try to patch your device ID into i915_pciids.h as kindly suggested by T-Daemon. For that, you need to download the sources (usually, as root): EDIT No no no make -C /usr/ports/x11-drivers/xf86-video-intel fetch but instead: make -C /usr/ports/graphics/drm-fbsd12.0-kmod fetch extract. Then, unpack the tar balls, patch your device ID into that file & make install.

Good luck!

• Xorg(1) automagic: no configuration files at all, Xorg figures all out itself
  • RTFM: Read the fine manual, although sometimes you can read it as "Read the f*g manual"...
  • grep(1) the connector name from /var/run/dmesg.boot as given above if you want to connect more than one monitor.
  • Else just set e.g. kern.vt.fb.default_mode="1280x1024" in loader.conf(5) to the maximum resolution of your screen & reboot. But beware that applies to all monitors that you connect to that machine. This should enable higher resolutions. The scfb(4) video driver is sufficient for average desktop use-case unless you want 3D gaming or CAD/CAM or such.
When you have that, you can still try to patch your device ID into i915_pciids.h as kindly suggested by T-Daemon. For that, you need to download the sources (usually, as root): make -C /usr/ports/x11-drivers/xf86-video-intel fetch. Then, unpack the tar balls, patch your device ID into that file & make install.

Good luck!
mjollnir,

Thank you *very* much for this detailed response! It answered all of my questions and more. I also appreciate the dual layer of solutions. I appreciate the high hopes of "When you have that," and yes T-Daemon is someone I highly respect here and value his assistance as well!

Best Regards,

~ Brandon

Run portsnap fetch update

In /usr/ports/graphics/drm-fbsd12.0-kmod

# make fetch extract

# find work -name i915_pciids.h -exec vi {} +

Find line:

/0x3E96

Copy & paste line
Code:
INTEL_VGA_DEVICE(0x3E96, info), /* SRV GT2 */ \
yy
p

Change the pasted line beneath the original from:
Code:

to

INTEL_VGA_DEVICE(0x3E98, info), /* SRV GT2 */ \

Place the cursor in pasted line over the 6, press x, press i, set 8, write & exit vi:
Esc
:wq

# make reinstall clean

Yes, you can patch that in the ports tree /usr/ports/x11-drivers/xf86-video-intel /usr/ports/graphics/drm-fbsd12.0-kmod, and then make reinstall (not clean because that will delete your patch!), although the cleaner method would be to use poudriere(8) or synth(1) to build in a jail. I'd say it's fine to build on the host (un-jail'ed) because it does not have any build dependencies. When you succeed (i.e. it runs without errors), you can upload your patch to GitHub or open a bug report (x11-drivers/xf86-video-intel does not support xyz) & file in your patch with that.

Yes, you can patch that in the ports tree /usr/ports/x11-drivers/xf86-video-intel, and then make reinstall (not clean because that will delete your patch!), although the cleaner method would be to use poudriere(8) or synth(1) to build in a jail. I'd say it's fine to build on the host (un-jail'ed) because it does not have any build dependencies. When you succeed (i.e. it runs without errors), you can upload your patch to GitHub or open a bug report (x11-drivers/xf86-video-intel does not support xyz) & file in your patch with that.
mjollnir,

I will upload to GitHub if it works! Not without proper credits to all of you, though.

I will return with results.

Run portsnap fetch update

In /usr/ports/graphics/drm-fbsd12.0-kmod

# make fetch extract

# find work -name i915_pciids.h -exec vi {} +

Find line:

/0x3E96

Copy & paste line
Code:
yy
p

Change the pasted line beneath the original from:
Code:

to

Place the cursor in pasted line over the 6, press x, press i, set 8, write & exit vi:
Esc
:wq

# make reinstall clean
T-Daemon,

I have followed your instructions and have come to this juncture:

(vi confused my brain; I use nano) -- No disrespect on your instructions.

full path: /usr/ports/graphics/drm-fbsd12.0-kmod/work/kms-drm-99da0ba/include/drm

filename: "drm_pciids.h"

The following line is not found:
Code:

I cannot find any "0x3E96" entries at all in that file.

Thanks again!

You can use the edit editor, that's easier for beginners than vi(1). Or, if you have a graphical desktop environment up & running, use the editor that comes with that.
Thank you! I am a nano fanatic! I have been using nano since it was called pico in Linux Distributions!

I strike my last post as invalid! I was using the wrong file. The correct file is in the same directory and it's "i915_pciids.h" which contains the line that T-Daemon has outlined.

My apologies!

Okay! I patched the file and all saved correctly on file "i915_pciids.h"

full path: /usr/ports/graphics/drm-fbsd12.0-kmod/work/kms-drm-99da0ba/include/drm

Line # 382 / 438

Full line:

Code:

Now when I run the following command from directory: "/usr/ports/graphics/drm-fbsd12.0-kmod/work/"

or "/usr/ports/graphics/drm-fbsd12.0-kmod/work/kms-drm-99da0ba" :

"make reinstall"

I receive the following error output:

Code:
make: don't know how to make reinstall. Stop

Thanks!

Return to /usr/ports/graphics/drm-fbsd12.0-kmod/, run the make command from there.
It re-installed; however I am not certain it included the work/ directory with patch.

I updated the /etc/rc.conf to reflect the i915 intel driver modules at start-up and I changed my xorg.conf from "vesa" to "intel".

I then ran "make reinstall" in "/usr/ports/graphics/drm-fbsd12.0-kmod" as T-Daemon suggested and the installation went fine.

Following are pictures:

1_20200904_095144.jpg

Back