Integrated Graphics (Unknown) on ASUS Prime B360M-A (Can't get Xorg running)

The installation message of drm-fbsd12.0-kmod insists that the user has to be a member of the video group.

Code:
Please ensure that all users requiring graphics are members of the
"video" group.
T-Daemon,

I added the user to video group. No avail... same frame buffer message on startx.

No xorg.conf needed at all? No command to generate one? No basic skeleton frame one to utilize for testing?

1. Skeleton for xorg.conf.d(5): /usr/local/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/{video.conf,HID.conf,monitors.conf,server-layout.conf}
    Each of these files can be empty, you can choose the filenames freely (HID: human interface device, i.e. keyboard, mouse, joystick etc.).
  2. You can run Xorg -configure to write an xorg.conf(5), and split it's contents up into your files under /usr/local/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/. But that's going to be the automagic default anyway. You can take that as a template for your changes, e.g. switch the video driver between scfb & intel in video.conf. Xorg -configure is considered obsolete!
  3. Does your console video resolution change to a higher resolution during bootup with sysrc kld_list+=" /boot/modules/i915kms.ko" + loader.conf(5): kern.vt.fb.default_mode="<X>x<Y>" when the i915kms.ko gets loaded?
  4. Since the likelyhood that the scfb(4) driver works is higher than that the intel(4) driver + patched graphics/drm-kmod works, I'd suggest to try to get X11 up with scfb(4) and without intel(4) 1st.
  5. Once that succeeds, proceed with the intel(4) driver for X11.

No xorg.conf needed at all? No command to generate one? No basic skeleton frame one to utilize for testing?

Not at the moment. First lets make sure that the i915 driver has attached correctly to the graphic card.

During system boot, when the boot messages are displayed, does the console flash ( this should happen when the i915 driver attaches correctly to the graphics device ) and does the screen resolution change, is it higher?

In the boot messages there should be [drm] ... lines, check if any of them indicate an error. Run dmesg after boot to inspect.

Does ( by xorg complained ) /dev/dri/card0 exist?

You can run Xorg -configure to write an xorg.conf(5), and split it's contents up into your files under /usr/local/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/. But that's going to be the automagic default anyway. You can take that as a template for your changes, e.g. switch the video driver between scfb & intel in video.conf.

Xorg -configure has an entirely separate code path from autoconfiguration, this is essentially an abandoned part of the Xorg codebase. You are not supposed to use it.

# cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log | pastebinit

output:
Code:
Bad API request, invalid api_dev_key

If the misc/pastebinit error continues, a workaround can make it work again. Open /usr/local/bin/pastebinit with an editor, copy line 30 to line 31 and change the default pastebin. No need to laboriously upload pictures from a smartphone.
Code:
30 #defaultPB = "pastebin.com"
31 defaultPB = "paste.ubuntu.com"

Or better use http://termbin.com. Example: cat Xorg.0.log | nc termbin.com 9999.

Hey everyone!

Installed FreeBSD 12.1-RELEASE updated and I have tried so many different combinations of configurations and packages to try and get X launched.

Currently I have the following added to my /etc/rc.conf:

Code:
dbus_enable="YES"
hald_enable="YES"
kld_list="/boot/modules/i915kms.ko"

I also have "driver-intel.conf" in /usr/local/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/ with the following contents:

Code:
Section "Device"
               Identifier "Card0"
               Driver     "intel"
               # BusID  "PCI:1:0:0"
EndSection

^ --- Have also tried with "PCI:0:2:0" which was identified in a Xorg.conf.new from a /root/ "Xorg -configure" command at one time. (I have formatted once so far. I accidently broke the /etc/rc.conf with the intel i915kms.ko without quotes on the end and it broke my start-up and I couldn't rescue with GELI for some reason.

Anyways...

In my /home/username/ i have ".xinitrc" which contains:

Code:
ck-launch-session dbus-launch --exit-with-session startlxde
exec startlxde

Normally this works like a charm. However... this is what happens when I kick off # startx from username:

* I cannot paste the full error because I do not know how* - Writing this post on a laptop.
Code:
Log file: "/var/log/Xorg.0.log"
Using config directory: "/usr/local/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d"
Using system config directory "/usr/local/share/X11/xorg.conf.d"
(EE)
Fatal server errror:
(EE) no screens found (EE)
(EE)
(EE) Server terminated with error (1) Closing log file.
xinit: giving up
xinit: unable to connect to X server: Connection refused
xinit: server error

Inside /var/log/Xorg.0.log I get :
* I am only putting lines that stand out to me here since I can't type it all up.
Code:
LoadModule: "glx"
LoadModule: "intel"
Intel: Driver for Intel(R) Integrated Graphics Chipsets: i819 - B43 (Very long list of supported models / drivers).
460.358 (II) intel: Driver for Intel(R) HD Graphics
460.358 (II) intel: Driver for Intel(R) Iris(TM) Graphics
460.358 (--) Using syscons driver with X support (version 2.0)
460.358 (--) Using VT number 9

460.361 (EE) No devices detected
460.361 (EE)
Fatal server error:
460:361  (EE) no screens found (EE)

I have gnome, kde and lxde using sddm login manager installed. (This is my standard setup on my other systems which have worked well).

Could it have to do with a BIOS setting? I am unfamiliar with contemporary computer hardware.

Thank you in advance.

If anyone knows what is wrong! Please let me know! Thanks :)

Best Regards,

Brandon
I am unsure if this will help but in the absence of other more erudite ideas I will tell you that I have an Asus A68HM and I cannot get xorg to function unless i use the vesa driver of 12.1. xorg -configure will set 'modsetting' automatically as driver. My solution works for my Asus with every flavour of freebsd.

Back