I genuinely think freebsd would be more popular with a purely bsd eye-candy desktop environment

Typically the desktop distro hoppers have no clue why they're trying to switch from Fedora, Ubuntu, etc to FreeBSD. Even though those distros have literally everything they're going to need they're not going to benefit from any of the things that make FreeBSD unique. Someone told them that systemd is bad, so they feel the need to switch.

Frankly, I hate the idea of expanding the base. I'd rather the project be as low profile as humanly possible.

Typically the desktop distro hoppers have no clue why they're trying to switch from Fedora, Ubuntu, etc to FreeBSD. Even though those distros have literally everything they're going to need they're not going to benefit from any of the things that make FreeBSD unique. Someone told them that systemd is bad, so they feel the need to switch.

Frankly, I hate the idea of expanding the base. I wish for it to be as low profile as humanly possible.
I wouldn't have switched over to FreeBSD if KDE were the only thing involved in my decision. A lot of stuff under the hood is just much better engineered at FreeBSD than in any Linux distro. Yeah, I know FreeBSD lags in hardware support, but it's got a much better organized software internals. Just try keeping up with ifconfig - every linux distro has it in different places, and it varies version to version, too!
The handbook or the manpage?
Do they tell you to do different things?

Do they tell you to do different things?

The handbook says only to add dbus to rc.conf but don't say anything about to add any "proc" line to the fstab, I read the error messages noticing the panel was complain about missing that "proc" line.

There is not any manpage about how to configure XFCE, but only to specific packages, unless it is somewhere else.

Code:
$ man xfce4-[tab]
xfce4-dict                (1: a client program to query different dictionaries)
xfce4-notifyd-config                   (1: configuration GUI for xfce4-notifyd)
xfce4-popup-whiskermenu                                 (1: shows Whisker Menu)
xfce4-power-manager                               (1: The Xfce 4 Power manager)
xfce4-power-manager-settings  (1: Settings dialog for the Xfce 4 Power manager)
xfce4-screensaver                  (1: The Xfce Desktop Screensaver and Locker)
xfce4-screensaver-command                        (1: controls Xfce screensaver)
xfce4-screensaver-preferences                   (1: Configure Xfce Screensaver)
xfce4-screenshooter              (1: manual page for xfce4-screenshooter 1.9.9)
xfce4-session                       (1: Starts up the Xfce Desktop Environment)
xfce4-session-logout                                    (1: Logs out from Xfce)
xfce4-terminal                                   (1: A Terminal emulator for X)

The handbook says only to add dbus to rc.conf but don't say anything about to add any "proc" line to the fstab, I read the error messages noticing the panel was complain about missing that "proc" line. …

Re: <https://forums.freebsd.org/posts/554268> we're advised that proc is no longer a requirement. In the words of a developer: "none of the kde software should rely on proc …".

tgl please: if you're certain of an exception, please make a bug report, or if you prefer, open a topic here:

Thank you.

The handbook says only to add dbus to rc.conf but don't say anything about to add any "proc" line to the fstab, I read the error messages noticing the panel was complain about missing that "proc" line.

There is not any manpage about how to configure XFCE, but only to specific packages, unless it is somewhere else.

Code:
$ man xfce4-[tab]
xfce4-dict                (1: a client program to query different dictionaries)
xfce4-notifyd-config                   (1: configuration GUI for xfce4-notifyd)
xfce4-popup-whiskermenu                                 (1: shows Whisker Menu)
xfce4-power-manager                               (1: The Xfce 4 Power manager)
xfce4-power-manager-settings  (1: Settings dialog for the Xfce 4 Power manager)
xfce4-screensaver                  (1: The Xfce Desktop Screensaver and Locker)
xfce4-screensaver-command                        (1: controls Xfce screensaver)
xfce4-screensaver-preferences                   (1: Configure Xfce Screensaver)
xfce4-screenshooter              (1: manual page for xfce4-screenshooter 1.9.9)
xfce4-session                       (1: Starts up the Xfce Desktop Environment)
xfce4-session-logout                                    (1: Logs out from Xfce)
xfce4-terminal                                   (1: A Terminal emulator for X)
Ahh... manpages will tell you how to use something - what flags you can pass to the utility, etc. The Handbook will tell you how to set up something - what to put into a config file, name of the package, etc. As an example, ifconfig(8) will tell you how to use it, but it will not tell you how to compile it and install it. ifconfig is part of the base, BTW, so recompiling just that with some different make flags and installing it is a complicated process, you have to know what you're doing.

I see, thank you!

By the way removing the "proc" line from "fstab" produces a weird behavior, for instance if I click Lagrange as pinned app on the dock (docklike) it shows up another icon with a generic gear from where you can manage the application; if "proc" is restored than the dock works as expected.

FreeBSD is already vital. Going out of scope as to who the target audience is takes your eye off that target. Losing focus is never a good thing.
It is vital now, but not guaranteed after 5-10 years. I don't like to see news like Company X moved from FreeBSD to Linux but it happens.

It is vital now, but not guaranteed after 5-10 years.

Oh don't start up with the old "FreeBSD is dying" myth I've been hearing for the 18 years I've been using it. In those same 18 years Netflix and WhatsApp started using FreeBSD. Those two alone make up 50% of all internet traffic. Not bad for a dying OS, eh?

I don't like to see news like Company X moved from FreeBSD to Linux but it happens.

And there are companies that have moved from Linux to FreeBSD.

Common sense:

more users is better than less users.

More common sense:

… The team is always coming up with new ways to connect community members, helping to bring new people to the Project, …

Simply: new people. Without prejudice.

More common sense:

… We watch market trends, stay on top of discussions happening in various mailing lists and irc channels, and listen to you, the users, by surveying the community over social media and on mailing lists. We also meet with various commercial users to understand how they are using FreeBSD and what challenges they may face. …

– Deb Goodkin​

More quality users is better than users for the sake of adding bodies to the total count
The army needs soldiers, not only generals and colonels. And hardware manufacturers decide whether to develop driver for specific OS according to marketshare or total number of users. No matter they are quality users or not.

The army needs soldiers, not only generals and colonels.
Yes, soldiers possibly translates to technical power users and developers. People who just want iTunes and desktop environments to play games with, less so.
I don't think a "purely bsd eye candy desktop" will particularly attract those technical power users and certainly not developers.

And hardware manufacturers decide whether to develop driver for specific OS according to marketshare or total number of users. No matter they are quality users or not.
I don't disagree with you here. Though weirdly, I think Linux 100% dominates in the web server space and yet many of the drivers they are using for this role on these typical semi-commodity servers are rarely written by the companies. Vast majority is reverse engineered and subsequently open-sourced. Linux was originally *the* way to get off the treadmill of dealing with companies and vendors. Seems strange that the new generation is trying to jump in bed with them again.

So I think monetization potential is what attracts companies more. Not necessarily market share or total number of users. Yes it does imply user-count but if all i.e FreeBSD users are not the sort to buy a new gaming PC every month, I don't think companies will bother either way.

Back