[howto] Minimal FreeBSD desktop

Question 2:

Currently, Firefox version 48 is out. If I install www/firefox now, I think version 47.0.1 is installed. Is version 48 already ready for FreeBSD but the ports/repository isn't updated yet? Can I just do pkg install firefox and when later versions come out do # pkg upgrade? Also If I install www/firefox, does it install the 32 or 64 bit version?

I run a modified desktop based on this thread and samba is not necessary unless you need to share printer/data storage with a Windows based computer. If that is the case, I would look at how you want to access those services. For example, if I was using print/cups to access a printer connected to a MS computer, I would use the samba version that is a dependency of print/cups. You can use FreshPorts to review samba versions and the dependencies.

Your second question just popped up.

# pkg upgradeshould get you the latest version in the repository

There were 32bit pluggins (Skype) that required linux emulation and 32bit libraries. There is also an extended support release www/firefox-esr.

Normally, if you are running a 64bit system you will get firefox/firefox-esr built for a 64bit system.

The tutorial talks about using net/samba36 for networking. However, on freshports it says...

DEPRECATED: not supported by the upstream
This port expired on: 2016-04-01

There are newer samba versions in Freshports that aren't depreciated.

I use ports-mgmt/psearch from the command line to find related programs.

Can I just do pkg install firefox and when later versions come out do # pkg upgrade?

You can. Use can also use ports-mgmt/portmaster or a similar program to upgrade to a newer version, much sooner, or adjust some dependencies.

There are newer samba versions in Freshports that aren't depreciated.

I use ports-mgmt/psearch from the command line to find related programs.

Well, I'm not on FreeBSD ...yet. Still getting some info down before I reinstall again and set up everything. I checked Samba's website and it seems the latest release is Samba 4.5.0rc1. I think the last stable release is Samba 4.4.5. And searching Freshports yields net/samba44. I take it the same commands and procedures to setup samba36 will work with this version (like in original tutorial)? Also (maybe stupid question you don't have to answer) why is there a net/samba with FORBIDDEN tagged on to it? The comments show "FORBIDDEN due to remote root code execution" but why did they not just "maintain" that port by releasing the current/fixed/patched/updated version under it?

Thanks.

I run a modified desktop based on this thread and samba is not necessary unless you need to share printer/data storage with a Windows based computer. If that is the case, I would look at how you want to access those services. For example, if I was using print/cups to access a printer connected to a MS computer, I would use the samba version that is a dependency of print/cups. You can use FreshPorts to review samba versions and the dependencies.

Interestingly enough, I think you solved my printer issue a year ago in this Thread 50853. I have yet to test it all out. If it works out, I may not need Samba.

However, I do have USB 3.0 External NTFS Hard Drives right now that I'm using. I also have a Netgear GS108 8 Port Switch. Would you say it is easier/simpler/faster to install sysutils/fusefs-ntfs/ and mount it directly to my FreeBSD system via USB 3.0 ports or install Samba and share the data over the network switch? Or both ways are fine, just flip a coin and go with that?

"FORBIDDEN due to remote root code execution"

That's a vulnerability where a remote computer can get root access. There are 3 newer versions, and maybe the port maintainers thought it was too much overhead, or there aren't enough maintainers. That one port doesn't have a dedicated port maintainer, except for the ports tree, so that's why. It won't happen unless someone adopts the port, if they think the newer versions aren't what they need.

Question 3 (multipart question):

I have a Nvidia GTX960. According to https://wiki.freebsd.org/Graphics, the card "works" and is supported.

My current way of making it work is:

# portmaster x11/nvidia-driver

adding
Code:
nvidia_load="YES"
to /boot/loader.conf

then adding:
Code:
Section "Device"
Indentifier "Card0"
Driver "nvidia"
EndSection

to /etc/X11/xorg.conf

This works for me but I have a concern about it when I installed the nvidia-driver port.

Does this port pull the latest drivers version? I glanced at the screen output while the port was installing and if I recall correctly, the tarball it was downloading was version 346.xx or 348.xx. Is this right? According to Nvidia, the latest FreeBSD version (for x64) is 367.35. Am I doing something wrong? Can I specify latest version? Freshports shows version 346.96 for nvidia-driver and then 367.35 for x11/nvidia-xconfig. I'm not even sure if I have the right drivers or if I am damaging my card. Can some explain what is going on and how to resolve this by installing the correct drivers for a GTX960?

Thanks.

Question 4:

Firefox can preview PDF files and so far it's more than enough.

Is there any reason or benefit to install graphics/xpdf or graphics/mupdf for PDF needs? Do they allow you to write your own PDFs? In which case, can't you do that in LibreOffice and export to PDF?

Question 4:

Is there any reason or benefit to install graphics/xpdf or graphics/mupdf for PDF needs? Do they allow you to write your own PDFs? In which case, can't you do that in LibreOffice and export to PDF?

It depends on your needs. graphics/xpdf is lighter and faster than the firefox pdf reader. When I'm doing my taxes, I open the form instruction pdf in xpdf. graphics/evince allows me to make entries in the actual form and save the completed form for my records. I can also print the completed form to mail to the IRS.

Libreoffice allows you to export your libreoffice documents/spreadsheets to a pdf.

Question 5:

x11/tint according to the tutorial needs to be configured with the following commands:

$ mkdir ~/.config/tint2
$ cp /usr/local/share/examples/tint2/tint2rc ~/.config/tint2/tint2rc

However doing the cp command says no such file or directory found.

According to tint2 website it says that:

Code:
The first time you run tint2, it will create the config file in $HOME/.config/tint2/tint2rc (This applies if you have done a clean install. Running tint2 in the source directory without doing 'make install' will not create the config file.)

Are those steps in the tutorial now obsolete?

--------------------------------------------------------------

Question 6:

According to http://openbox.org/wiki/Help:Autostart

It says all you need to do is:
Code:
To run commands for your user account only, create and edit a file called ~/.config/openbox/autostart
or
Code:
To run commands for all users system-wide, place them in a similar file in /etc/xdg/openbox/autostart

The old tutorial specifies:

$ mkdir ~/.config
$ mkdir ~/.config/openbox
$ cp /usr/local/etc/xdg/openbox/menu.xml ~/.config/openbox/menu.xml
$ cp /usr/local/etc/xdg/openbox/rc.xml ~/.config/openbox/rc.xml
$ touch ~/.config/openbox/autostart.sh && chmod +x ~/.config/openbox/autostart.sh
$ echo "#!/bin/sh" >> ~/.config/openbox/autostart.sh

Can you just get away with doing this:
$ mkdir ~/.config
$ mkdir ~/.config/openbox
$ cp /usr/local/etc/xdg/openbox/menu.xml ~/.config/openbox/menu.xml
$ cp /usr/local/etc/xdg/openbox/rc.xml ~/.config/openbox/rc.xml
$ touch ~/.config/openbox/autostart

Skipping the "#!/bin/sh" and making it executable script? Then edit it to load wbar and tint2 like normal and have openbox be able to read the file and run it? Or is there a reason it is autostart.sh and needs the chmod +x and the "#!/bin/sh"?

Question 5: There is a booboo in the FreeBSD port that likely arose when the example tint2rc's were moved to the FreeBSD example directory - the generic one is missing. There are a number of tint2rc variants in example directory. I updated the OpenBSD tint2 port and I remember having moved *.tint2rc and tint2rc with separate entries in the Makefile.

Your options to fix: 1) Go to the developers' site and fetch the missing file and install into the examples directory and your ~/.config/tint2/. 2) Run the tint2 configuration gui $ tint2conf, it should write the configuration file in your home directory. 3) Copy one of the *.tint2rc files from the examples directory renaming it ~/.config/tint2/tint2rc.

Question 6: ~/.config/openbox/autostart.sh has been renamed ~/.config/openbox/autostart

My ~/.config/openbox/autostart in OpenBSD 5.9

Code:
PooBear$ pwd
/home/jsh/.config/openbox
PooBear$ ls
autostart    environment  menu.xml     rc.xml
PooBear$ cat autostart                                                      
# These things are run when an Openbox X Session is started.
# You may place a similar script in $HOME/.config/openbox/autostart
# to run user-specific things.
#

# If you want to use GNOME config tools...
#
#if test -x /usr/local/libexec/gnome-settings-daemon >/dev/null; then
#  /usr/local/libexec/gnome-settings-daemon &
#elif which gnome-settings-daemon >/dev/null; then
#  gnome-settings-daemon &
#fi

# If you want to use XFCE config tools...
#
# Set Background color
# xsetroot -solid "#172636"
# Start xcompmgr
(xcompmgr -n) &
# Load feh Wallpaper
(sleep 0.5 && ~/.fehbg) &
# Start Tint2
(sleep 1 && tint2) &
# Start Wbar
(sleep 1.5 && wbar --config ~/.config/wbar/wbarrc) &
# Start weather system tray applet
(sleep 2 && yad --notification --image=weather-overcast \
--text="City, State Weather" --no-middle \
--command='xterm +sb -g 78x16-0+38 \
-T "City, State Weather" \
-e "/home/jsh/scripts/weather.sh"') &
# Start volume system tray applet
(sleep 2.5 && /usr/local/libexec/tray-app/sound) &

Question 3 (multipart question):

I have a Nvidia GTX960. According to https://wiki.freebsd.org/Graphics, the card "works" and is supported.

My current way of making it work is:

# portmaster x11/nvidia-driver

adding
Code:
nvidia_load="YES"
to /boot/loader.conf

then adding:
Code:
Section "Device"
Indentifier "Card0"
Driver "nvidia"
EndSection

to /etc/X11/xorg.conf

This works for me but I have a concern about it when I installed the nvidia-driver port.

Does this port pull the latest drivers version? I glanced at the screen output while the port was installing and if I recall correctly, the tarball it was downloading was version 346.xx or 348.xx. Is this right? According to Nvidia, the latest FreeBSD version (for x64) is 367.35. Am I doing something wrong? Can I specify latest version? Freshports shows version 346.96 for nvidia-driver and then 367.35 for x11/nvidia-xconfig. I'm not even sure if I have the right drivers or if I am damaging my card. Can some explain what is going on and how to resolve this by installing the correct drivers for a GTX960?

Thanks.
You normally don't need any xorg.conf. Instead, you'll find in /usr/local/etc/X11 a directory named xorg.conf.d where you put some specific pieces of configuration you can't avoid putting there.

Yes, x11/nvidia-driver will install the latest version of driver available for FreeBSD. But you'll want to make sure which driver version supports your card. Since you know your card and given how well you know to ask precise questions ;) you'll find it no problem identifying the right driver version at nvidia.com. Then you will decide whether you need the nvidia-driver or one of the nvidia-driver-[older versions] driver.
Question 4:

Neither of the two, Firefox plugin is better than both... if it doesn't bother your CPU to launch heavy firefox every time you want to view a PDF.

Yes, x11/nvidia-driver will install the latest version of driver available for FreeBSD. But you'll want to make sure which driver version supports your card. Since you know your card and given how well you know to ask precise questions ;) you'll find it no problem identifying the right driver version at nvidia.com. Then you will decide whether you need the nvidia-driver or one of the nvidia-driver-[older versions] driver.

Well...it installs 346.96 which does support my GTX960 but Nvidia's website shows the latest is really 367.35. In this Thread 57194, someone said the port caretaker had a reason for keeping it at 346.96.

I sometimes use my 8800GT with x11/nvidia-driver-340.

Neither of the two, Firefox plugin is better than both... if it doesn't bother your CPU to launch heavy firefox every time you want to view a PDF.

To be honest, coming from Win7 x64, Firefox starts instantly on my Phenom 955 in FreeBSD compared to my Firefox on Win7. I'm not folding@home or crunching research data or doing benchmarks so Firefox can eat all the CPU it wants.

[CITA = "Taz, mensaje: 194.442, miembro de: 12413"] el inicio de aplicaciones

Ya tenemos la posibilidad de lanzar aplicaciones a través del menú [Archivo] de Openbox [/ archivo] pero me gusta usar una barra de inicio rápido para esta tarea. [Puerto] x11 / wbar [/ puerto] es una barra de inicio rápido luz y se ve muy resbaladiza. Depende de [Archivo] GTK [/ archivo] sin embargo, así que puede que quiera saltarse esta parte y configurar [Archivo] ~ / .config / Openbox / menu.xml [/ archivo] presentar para el lanzamiento rápido. También [archivo] PyPanel [/ archivo] ha construido en un lanzador appliation.

Instalar el puerto (y asegúrese de que la opción de deshabilitar WBARCONFIG):

# portmaster x11/wbar

Configuración:

Iniciar [Archivo] wbar [/ archivo] en el arranque [Archivo] del openbox [/ file]:

[CMD = "$"] echo "(sueño 2 && wbar) y" >> ~ / .config / Openbox / autostart.sh [/ CMD]

Esto abrirá [Archivo] wbar [/ archivo] cuando [Archivo] [/ openbox archivo] inicia y la primera vez [archivo] wbar [/ archivo] se puso en marcha se va a crear un archivo de configuración por defecto [Archivo] ~ / .wbar [ /archivo]. Más adelante se puede editar el archivo para que se adapte a sus necesidades. La configuración es bastante sencillo. Sólo tienes que especificar la ruta al icono, comandos y el texto que se mostrará.

Ejemplo:
[código]
i: /usr/local/share/pixmaps/wbar/terminal.png
c: urxvtc
t: urxvtc

i: /usr/local/share/pixmaps/wbar/music.png
c: urxvt -e mplayer -playlist ~ / tera1 / Música / RadioStream / soulful.pls
t: soulful
[/código]

Un truco agradable con el lanzamiento de aplicaciones basadas en terminales son los terminales "-e" opción. Con él se puede lanzar una ventana de terminal y hacer que se ejecute de inmediato una orden especificada detrás del interruptor "-e". De esa manera usted no tiene que poner en marcha por primera vez el terminal y luego escriba en el comando.

Configuración de papel tapiz y la visualización de imágenes

Para la visualización de imágenes que he elegido [puerto] / gráficos FEH [/ puerto] y podemos usarla para definir el fondo a, que está ordenada.

Instalar el puerto:

# portmaster graphics/feh

Configuración:

[CMD = "$"] echo "FEH --bg escala ~ / ruta / a / wallpaper.jpg y" >> ~ / .config / Openbox / autostart.sh [/ CMD]

Esto establecerá el fondo de pantalla cada vez que se inicia [Archivo] del openbox [/ archivo]. Es probable que no tiene ninguna de las imágenes todavía en su sistema para que pueda FETCH (1) este bonito fondo de pantalla FreeBSD y configurarlo.

[CMD = "$"] cd ~ / .config / Openbox / [/ CMD]
[CMD = "$"] Explorar http://www.bsdnexus.com/wallpapers/DD_freebsd.jpg [/ CMD]
[CMD = "$"] echo "FEH --bg escala DD_freebsd.jpg y" >> autostart.sh [/ CMD]

Y si quieres ver las imágenes basta con ejecutar [Archivo] FEH [/ archivo] formar la línea de comandos y asegúrese de que está colocado en la carpeta que desea ver las imágenes:

[CMD = "$"] FEH -t [/ cmd]

Lectura adicional se puede encontrar aquí .

Terminal emulator

La elección del emulador de terminal correcta es muy importante ya que va a pasar mucho tiempo de usarla. Por lo que desea elegir el que se sienta cómodo. Voy a enumerar los que he probado, razones por las que me pasa a otro y explicar cómo configurar el que yo conformé con.

Estos son los que he intentado:
  • [Puerto] x11 / STERM [/ puerto] -> solo binario, simple y mínima, no hay pestañas.
  • [Puerto] x11 / xterm [/ puerto] -> utilizado durante mucho tiempo, pero no tiene soporte para pestañas
  • [Puerto] x11 / roxterm [/ puerto] -> depende de la [archivo] GTK [/ archivo]
  • [Puerto] x11 / aterm [/ puerto]
  • [Puerto] x11 / eterm [/ puerto]
  • [Puerto] x11 / rxvt Unicode [/ puerto] -> el que yo uso

[Puerto] x11 / rxvt Unicode [/ puerto] es realmente ordenado. Es compatible con las pestañas a través de [Archivo] Perl [/ archivo] extensión, tiendas de texto en Unicode, tiene la transparencia si desea que el aspecto pulido, configurable a través de [Archivo] ~ / .Xdefaults [/ archivo] archivo, ligero, rápido, demonio / cliente mod y lo más importante que simplemente funciona.

Así que si quieres probar [puerto] x11 / rxvt Unicode [/ puerto] aquí es cómo lo creó.

Instalar el puerto (opciones por defecto están bien):

[Cmd = "#"] Portmaster x11 / rxvt Unicode [/ CMD]

Configuración:

La configuración se realiza a través de [Archivo] ~ / [/ archivo] Xdefaults. Aquí es una lectura agradable sobre cómo configurarlo.

Personalmente, me gusta los solarizadas colores así que he adaptado esta [Archivo] ~ / .Xdefaults [/ Archivo] y modificado y a mis necesidades.

Le sugerimos que ejecute urxvt en modo daemon / cliente para un rendimiento más rápido y una menor huella de memoy así que corre [Archivo] urxvtd [/ archivo] en el inicio:

$ echo "urxvtd -q -f -o" >> ~/.config/openbox/autostart.sh

y luego usar:

[CMD = $] urxvtc [/ cmd].

Puede copiar / pegar a través del botón central del ratón. Basta con seleccionar el texto en el terminal o en otra aplicación y se "copia". Para pegarlo, ya sea al terminal u otra aplicación, pulse el botón central o ambos botones izquierdo y derecho del ratón al mismo tiempo, si usted no tiene un botón central.

Una mejor solución es un plugin Perl podemos encontrar aquí . Necesitará [puerto] x11 / xclip [/ puerto] para que funcione y el camino para los plugins urxvt Perl en FreeBSD es [Archivo] / / local / lib usr / urxvt / Perl / [/ archivo]. Cómo configurarlo se describe en el enlace proporcionado.

Si no desea utilizar pestañas para tener múltiples terminales en una sola ventana, echar un vistazo a [puerto] sysutils / tmux [/ puerto], que es un multiplexor terminal.

montaje de automóviles

Como se mencionó antes no utilizaremos [Archivo] hal [/ archivo], pero de FreeBSD DEVD (8) wich colocarse para el "cambio de estado del dispositivo demonio".

Hay una secuencia de comandos que Wrapps alrededor DEVD (8) y dosificar el montaje para nosotros: [puerto] / sysutils montan automáticamente [/ puerto].

Instalar el puerto:

[Cmd = "#"] sysutils Portmaster / automount [/ CMD]

La configuración se realiza a través de [Archivo] /usr/local/etc/automount.conf [/ archivo] y se puede ejecutar este comando para ver qué opciones tiene:

[CMD = "$"] automontar --help [/ cmd]

Sólo tiene que utilizar esta opción en mi [Archivo] /usr/local/etc/automount.conf archivo [/ file]:
[código]
REMOVEDIRS = "YES"
[/código]

Si desea montar unidades NTFS formateados con las operaciones de lectura / escritura que tendrá que instalar [puerto] / sysutils fusefs NTFS [/ puerto].

Instalar el puerto:

[CMD = "#"] sysutils Portmaster / fusefs NTFS [/ CMD]

Configuración:

[CMD = "#"] cp /usr/local/modules/fuse.ko / boot / módulos / [/ CMD]
[CMD = "#"] echo "fuse_load = \" SI \ "" >> /boot/loader.conf[/CMD]

Esto cargará el módulo del kernel en el arranque y [Archivo] automontar [/ archivo] reconocerán que se ha instalado [Archivo] fusefs NTFS [/ Archivo] y va a usar para las unidades con formato NTFS.

Si desea montar un automóvil disco duro IDE / SATA conectado a la placa madre comprobar este hilo hacia afuera.

En caso de que usted se está preguntando cómo usarlo con la mano aquí es el comando que puede emitir para montar unidades NTFS:

[CMD = "#"] ntfs-3g / dev / da * s1 / mnt [/ CMD]

Ejecutar este comando para averiguar qué número Repalce "*" por:

[CMD = "#"] dmesg [/ cmd]

X a partir

Ahora debemos estar listos para comenzar nuestra primera sesión de Xorg. Pero primero vamos a reiniciar el sistema:

[Cmd = "#"] shutdown -r now [/ cmd]

Si desea apagar el uso de este comando:

[Cmd = "#"] apagado -p ahora [/ cmd]

Y si quieres ser capaz de reiniciar o apagar desde el openbox sin ser root debe agregar su nombre de usuario al grupo de operadores:

[Cmd = "#"] pw groupmod -m operador nombre_usuario [/ cmd]

Antes de pasar concretamente a Xorg asegúrese de que puede ejecutar el emulador de terminal, ya sea desde el menú [Archivo] wbar [/ archivo] o de [archivo] de Openbox [/ archivo]! Ahora usted debe ser capaz de saber cómo hacerlo.

Una vez que haya iniciado sesión con su nombre de usuario ejecutar este comando para iniciar [Archivo] Xorg [/ file]:

[Cmd = "$"] startx [/ cmd]

Si todo ha ido bien y se ha optado por utilizar [Archivo] del openbox [/ archivo] con [archivo] tinte [/ archivo] y [Archivo] wbar [/ archivo] se debe ver algo como esto:

Si usted no está viendo algo como esto significa que algo salió mal y usted tendrá que solucionar los problemas que tiene. Mi sugerencia es que la primera búsqueda Google en busca de respuestas y si eso no funciona, entonces la dosis puesto aquí en busca de ayuda. [/ Quote]

Hola, soy nuevo en FreeBSD, y, al igual que le pasó a usted, yo también me canso de tantos programas que no utilizo, tengo un problema, la imagen de Xorg es extremadamente pequeño, y no tengo ni idea de cómo usarlo, yo ya leí la página del openbox y no encontrar ninguna solución, creo que mi problema viene de mi tarjeta nvidia.

@ Yandri Loor

I mean no harm but this cite from Pulp Fiction seems to the best comment ;)

emglish-motherfucker-do-you-speak-it.jpg

Hi!

This tutorial is from 2012... Does anybody knows if is it still applicable nowadays, with little tweak regarding the package versions?

Thanks.

Attached is basic instructions that I put together based on this thread. Let me know if there is some better instructions than what I have already (for example, better firewall rules).

Attachments

• FreeBSD Install Guide.pdf
    25.4 KB · Views: 298
How can I just simply launch x-terminal with a line of code? I want to use x-terminal app because it has support for 16 bit true color. I don't need any mouse, windows or taskbar.

Thanks.

I have no clue what your "x-terminal app" is - there's no package/port with that name available. But I assume that it is something like a xterm.

Just use your terminal application as a window manager. Whether you used ~/.xinitrc or ~/.xsession to start a desktop environment or window manager, just start from there f.e. your xterm instead (you might want to add some parameters like "-geometry 150x50").

How can I just simply launch x-terminal with a line of code? I want to use x-terminal app because it has support for 16 bit true color. I don't need any mouse, windows or taskbar.

Thanks.
From the command line:
Code:
xterm[code]

From .xinitrc:
[code]xterm &

Run a command in xterm From the Fluxbox menu:
Code:
 [exec]   (top) {xterm -e top}

I've got FreeBSD 13.1 installed on one machine and will be updating my tutorial, but lost m phone that has pix of every screen during the install process..

About the only change that needs to be made is the addition of choosing ASLR in the Sytem Hardening screen and change the need for Linux compat during Nvidia setup.

I have site work to do in addition to editing the tutorial and will do that first.

Back