Solved Printer installation

So I have 2 printers; a HP PSC 2410xi and a HP Officejet Pro 8625.

For the HP PSC 2410xi I use the following installation instructions below:

Code:
# portmaster print/cups
# portmaster print/hpijs

Add to /etc/devfs.rules:
[system=10]
add path 'unlpt*' mode 0660 group cups
add path 'ulpt*' mode 0660 group cups
add path 'lpt*' mode 0660 group cups
add path 'usb/X.Y.Z' mode 0660 group cups

dmesg | grep ugen to ID the X.Y.Z

Add two lines to /etc/rc.conf

cupsd_enable="YES"
devfs_system_ruleset="system"

then...

# /etc/rc.d/devfs restart
# /usr/local/etc/rc.d/cupsd restart

then to configure CUPS goto http://localhost:631/

My real question is, in order to add the Officejet Pro 8625, which drivers do I choose since it's a new printer and how would I incorporate it with the existing HP PSC 2410xi?

You can use the printer on FreeBSD? What is the progam to install and detect the printer device HP PHOTOSMART 5510

You can use the printer on FreeBSD?

This is a bullshit post!!! Just go away. People have been using printers on BSDs since mid seventies. Set up is pretty much the same on any BSD.

Code:
predrag@oko$ uname -a
OpenBSD oko.bagdala2.net 5.7 GENERIC.MP#881 amd64

predrag@oko$ more /etc/printcap
lp|HP|HP-PhotoSmart_C5200:\
        :lp=/dev/ulpt0:\
        :if=/etc/foomatic-rip/script.sh:\
        :sh:sd=/var/spool/output:\
        :lf=/var/log/lpd-errs:

predrag@oko$ more /etc/foomatic-rip/script.sh
#!/bin/sh

/usr/local/bin/a2ps -BRq --columns=1 -o - | \
        /usr/local/bin/foomatic-rip -P HP-PhotoSmart_C5200 --ppd /etc/foomatic-rip/direct/hp-photosmart_c5200_series-hpijs.ppd

@ Oko
Calm down, I think he's a bit surprised that at least some inkjet printers work as they have in general poor support (this also applies to Linux) as they don't support PCL or PS.
Many cheap printers nowdays solely relies on the host to do everything including uploading the firmware which usually is black magic.
//Danne

This is a bullshit post!!!
[FONT=verdana]So pissed off these? Printer is HP PHOTOSMART 5510, and leaves this message in administering impression. Some solution? :rolleyes:

Code:
           Error

Could not execute the order
«htmlview http://localhost:631/».

Failed to execute child process
«htmlview» (No such file or directory)
[FONT=verdana]

[/FONT][/FONT]

[FONT=verdana]So pissed off these? Printer is HP PHOTOSMART 5510, and leaves this message in administering impression. Some solution? :rolleyes:[/FONT]
[FONT=verdana]
That printer is supported by hpijs drivers which can be found in HPLIP. IIRC it actually speaks vanilla PCL 6 so you could write a filter yourself. [/FONT]

[FONT=verdana]
Code:
           Error

Could not execute the order
«htmlview http://localhost:631/».

Failed to execute child process
«htmlview» (No such file or directory)
[/FONT]

I am using on LPD spooling at home. I charge money when I am troubleshooting CUPS. Hint: It looks like some directory is missing. Did you read installation message after you installed CUPS.

My real question is, in order to add the Officejet Pro 8625, which drivers do I choose since it's a new printer and how would I incorporate it with the existing HP PSC 2410xi?
Getting back to the original question, you would add the Officejet Pro 8625 as a second printer. Here are some screenshots from CalTech on using CUPS in OS/X. Further down, there is a screenshot where a xerox ppd is selected, the OP will need to select his HP model instead

[FONT=verdana] Did you read installation message after you installed CUPS.[/FONT]
[FONT=verdana]After installing CUPS, came this message. As I do?
Code:
Please read the documentation in %%PREFIX%%/share/doc/cups/ for information
on how to set up your printer to use CUPS. Basic template configuration files
have been installed in %%PREFIX%%/etc/cups/

CUPS is now installed.

Please read the documentation in %%PREFIX%%/share/doc/cups/ for information
on how to set up your printer to use CUPS. Basic template configuration files
have been installed in %%PREFIX%%/etc/cups/

===>>> Done displaying pkg-message files

===>>> Re-installation of cups-1.7.3_1 complete
There is no documentation in %%PREFIX%%/share/doc/cups/

[FONT=verdana]

[/FONT][/FONT]

%%PREFIX%% is supposed to be expanded to whatever $PREFIX is when that file is displayed during installation. Typically this is /usr/local. So look in /usr/local/share/doc/cups.

I installed print/cups and I have documentation in/usr/local/share/doc/cups folder (%%PREFIX%% stands for /usr/local/ here).

You do not need to reinstall a package to see the related message. Just do pkg info -D cat/port (here pkg info -D print/cups)

-- Edit --
wblock@ was faster ;).

Hi tmpdmp,

As stated by Oko, print/hplip is the way to go. By doing a bit of searching, I found at that your Officejet Pro 8625 is supported. You just have to install is with pkg install print/hplip (be carefull, there is also a print/hpijs port. So be sure to install print/hplip).

I did it just to check and using the CUPS interface (http://127.0.0.1:631), I was proposed the Officejet Pro 8620 driver which is, according to the link I gave you, the driver to use.

As for your last question, if you want to check what files were installed by a given port, you can check with pkg info --list-files cat/port (here pkg info --list-files print/hplip) . But, as I told you, the driver appeared in my CUPS list without any action beside installing the package.

tmpdmp You are making this really hard on yourself. If you are going to use print/cups with the 2 printers you listed you would be better off with print/hplip rather than print/hpijs. The print/hplip is written and maintained by Hewlett Packard and includes ppd files from H-P for both your printers.
If you remove hpijs and install hplip you should just be able to run the web interface in your browser. Plus it should also give you scanner support.

Edit: Too slow, the previous poster gave the same advice.

Last edited by a moderator:
So look in /usr/local/share/doc/cups.
Do not understand how do. There is no documentation in %%PREFIX%%/share/doc/cups/ or /usr/local/share/doc/cups. It is necessary to install print/hpijs? It gives me error

In this way there is no documentation in:

Code:
# ee /usr/local/share/doc/cups
Install print/hpijs:
Code:
# portmaster print/hpijs

==>>> Gathering dependency list for print/hpijs from ports
===>>> Initial dependency check complete for print/hpijs

===>>> Starting build for print/hpijs <<<===

===>>> All dependencies are up to date

===>  Cleaning for hpijs-2.1.4_6

===>  hpijs-2.1.4_6 conflicts with installed package(s):
  foomatic-filters-4.0.17_2

They install files into the same place.
  You may want to stop build with Ctrl + C.

===>  Found saved configuration for hpijs-2.1.4_6
===>  hpijs-2.1.4_6 depends on file: /usr/local/sbin/pkg - found
===> Fetching all distfiles required by hpijs-2.1.4_6 for building

===>  hpijs-2.1.4_6 conflicts with installed package(s):

They will not build together.
  Please remove them first with pkg delete.
*** Error code 1

Stop.
make[1]: stopped in /usr/ports/print/hpijs
*** Error code 1

Stop.
make: stopped in /usr/ports/print/hpijs

===>>> make build failed for print/hpijs
===>>> Aborting update

===>>> You can restart from the point of failure with this command line:
  portmaster <flags> print/hpijs
#

Ok Teo,

We are truly willing to help you but you do need to read the posts previously posted.

teo said:
There is no documentation in %%PREFIX%%/share/doc/cups/
As stated at least in two of the posts above %%%PREFIX%%% stands for /usr/local/ here. And the doc is on html form as you can see with ls /usr/local/share/doc/cups. So use your browser.

teo said:
Once again, I can read at least two posts saying that you must NOT install this port but rather print/hplip (as you can see, your printer is supported).

teo said:
Code:
===> hpijs-2.1.4_6 conflicts with installed package(s):
Well, it happens that this one of the dependencies of print/hplip :
Code:
% pkg info --dependencies print/hplip
hplip-3.14.10:
   py27-qt4-gui-4.11.3,1
   ghostscript9-9.06_10
   cups-pstoraster-8.15.4_8
   cups-image-1.7.3_3
   cups-client-1.7.3_4
   cups-base-1.7.3_4
   net-snmp-5.7.3_5
   python27-2.7.9
   sane-backends-1.0.24_3
   py27-pillow-2.6.0_1
   jpeg-8_6
   xdg-utils-1.0.2.20130919_1
   py27-qt4-dbussupport-4.11.3
   py27-gobject-2.28.6_5
   py27-dbus-1.1.1_1
   glib-2.42.1
   dbus-1.8.12_1

So, try this command pkg info -e print/hplip && echo "Installed" to see if this port is not already installed. If there is no output, then you need to install this port.

And please, read the previous posts carefully before posting.

And the doc is on html form as you can see with ls /usr/local/share/doc/cups. So use your browser.

So, try this command pkg info -e print/hplip && echo "Installed" to see if this port is not already installed. If there is no output, then you need to install this port.

In ls /usr/local/share/doc/cups it displays this

Code:
# ls /usr/local/share/doc/cups
ca       es       it
cs       fr       ja
cups-printable.css   help       pt_BR
cups.css     images       robots.txt
de       index.html     ru
#
In the command pkg info -e print/hplip && echo "Installed" no output, it gave me error on having wanted to install previously.
Code:
# pkg info -e print/hplip && echo "Installed"
#

Or
Code:
# pkg info print/hplip
pkg: No package(s) matching print/hplip
#

hplip and hpijs are 2 different printer packages that have overlap. You cannot have both installed. You need to remove hpijs with
# pkg delete hpijs
then to be on the safe side
# pkg autoremove
to remove any un-needed dependencies.

hplip should then install without errors.

Edit: drivers -> packages per Oko in the next post

hplip and hpijs are 2 different printer drivers that have overlap. You cannot have both installed. You need to remove hpijs with
# pkg delete hpijs
then
install hplip
Unless FreeBSD is doing something radically different hplip and hpijs contain the same printer drivers. However hplip contain also scanner drivers for all-in-one devices and HP scanners. I believe that his device is all-in-one so you are corrected that he needs HPLIP. I am going to shut up now.

Hello that such, install HPLIP, went out this message. This installed print/cups-base with LIBUSB support, as I must configure %%PREFIX%%/share/doc/cups/ or /usr/local/share/doc/cups on CUPS?

Message of HPLIP:
Code:
# cd /usr/ports/print/hplip/ && make install clean

hplip-3.14.10:
=====================================================================

HPLIP expects printers to be attached as a ugen(4) devices.  This
means that you must NOT have "device ulpt" in your kernel and ulpt
must NOT be loaded as a kernel module (you may also want to compile
print/cups-base with LIBUSB support). Please, follow the instructions
from print/cups-base pkg-message to setup correct permission for
usb devices.

In order to enable full functionality of hp tools, users must be
added to group `cups'.

=====================================================================
#

tmpdmp You are making this really hard on yourself. If you are going to use print/cups with the 2 printers you listed you would be better off with print/hplip rather than print/hpijs. The print/hplip is written and maintained by Hewlett Packard and includes ppd files from H-P for both your printers.
If you remove hpijs and install hplip you should just be able to run the web interface in your browser. Plus it should also give you scanner support.

Edit: Too slow, the previous poster gave the same advice.

So I installed printer/hplip and enabled/started CUPS and got to the admin page to add printer. Problem is I don't know what the proper steps are to add a printer on a wireless network via wifi router. I know the printer's IP address but I don't know how to tell CUPS to use that printer. What is my next step?

EDIT: Solved.

Next step was to select the correct add printer and use "socket://<ip address>:9100". Worked instantly.

I guess my real question now is: Since this is a wireless network printer, do I even need to do any of the following such as:
Code:
Add to /etc/devfs.rules:
[system=10]
add path 'unlpt*' mode 0660 group cups
add path 'ulpt*' mode 0660 group cups
add path 'lpt*' mode 0660 group cups
add path 'usb/X.Y.Z' mode 0660 group cups

Code:
Add to /etc/rc.conf

Feels like CUPS did all the real work.

I guess my real question now is: Since this is a wireless network printer, do I even need to do any of the following such as:

One way to envision this is that you send your print job via a particular device path: unlpt, ulpt, lpt, usb or wireless. The wireless path is usually the slowest of the 4 paths. No sense providing cups access to device paths you are not using.

One way to envision this is that you send your print job via a particular device path: unlpt, ulpt, lpt, usb or wireless. The wireless path is usually the slowest of the 4 paths. No sense providing cups access to device paths you are not using.

That's why I am asking which specific code/files I need to keep and which to toss.

If I'm not mistaken...

add path 'unlpt*' mode 0660 group cups ------> non-resetting USB printer device
add path 'ulpt*' mode 0660 group cups ------> standard USB printer device
add path 'lpt*' mode 0660 group cups ------> parallel printer device?
add path 'usb/X.Y.Z' mode 0660 group cups ------> USB printer device

But since I'm using CUPS and a network printer over IP address, I don't need any of those in /etc/devfs.rules nor will I need
Code:
in /etc/rc.conf unless by removing those lines I end up breaking printer functionality on my computer?

add path 'unlpt*' mode 0660 group cups ------> non-resetting USB printer device
add path 'ulpt*' mode 0660 group cups ------> standard USB printer device
add path 'lpt*' mode 0660 group cups ------> parallel printer device?
add path 'usb/X.Y.Z' mode 0660 group cups ------> USB printer device

If your print jobs goes over ethernet/wireless you should not need any of the above.

There can be other rulesets, for example, mounting a usb thumb drive as a user or burning cd/dvd as a user. If you are not changing the default permissions to access a device, then you will not need to tell the system to read an empty list of rules.

An easy way to test is to comment out
Code:
to
Code:
# devfs_system_ruleset="system"
and reboot. Your wireless printing should still work. If not remove the "#" character and reboot.

Back