How to use two screens at the same time while I'm using FreeBSD.

please be patient only for a little time. I feel that this long thread is going to reach the solution and the end :

Screenshot_2022-07-26_16-48-56.jpg

ziomario Now this is strange to me. I don't have that pkg installed. So how did I get dual monitors working? Do I misremember that the old driver now detects that on its own? Very possible now that I think of it because xorg.conf isn't needed anymore but it's been so long that I don't remember what I did last time.

ziomario Now this is strange to me. I don't have that pkg installed. So how did I get dual monitors working? Do I misremember that the old driver now detects that on its own? Very possible now that I think of it because xorg.conf isn't needed anymore but it's been so long that I don't remember what I did last time.

I can for sure delete xorg.conf,but likey it will not work,because the suggestions of SirDice are rarely wrong.

I have a question when you want to use the 2 monitors at the same time in FreeBSD not in a virtual why don't you get a HDMI to DispalyPort or DVI adapter and plug both monitors into your Nividia 1060 and turn off the Intel card? It could simplify this whole situation. Save your config when you use the intel and passthrough the nividia that way you can switch between them with a simple cable swap.

You gave to me a nice idea,the idea of disabling the Intel GPU. It's good to see what happens. But,anyway,I dislike to disable it forever,because the idea of having two gpus to pass (even at the same time) inside a bhyve vm, makes me excited.

I don't know if this was mentioned before, you can blame it on me getting old, but here is what I did:
My .xinitrc contains a line saying
Code:
~/bin/reset-xrandr.sh
with that script being
Code:
#!/bin/sh
xrandr --output LVDS-1 --auto --rotate normal --pos  0x0  --output DP-1 --auto --rotate normal --right-of LVDS-1
After that, it starts the screen saver and wmaker.

I don't know if this was mentioned before, you can blame it on me getting old, but here is what I did:
My .xinitrc contains a line saying
Code:
~/bin/reset-xrandr.sh
with that script being
Code:
#!/bin/sh
xrandr --output LVDS-1 --auto --rotate normal --pos  0x0  --output DP-1 --auto --rotate normal --right-of LVDS-1 --output DP-1 --auto --rotate normal --right-of LVDS-1
After that, it starts the screen saver and wmaker.

First of all,very thanks. Second : I need to know what's your configuration. Which kind of gpu do u have ? how many monitors ? how is your xorg.conf ? I need to understand what does what in your script,before to run it.

This is for a single GPU i915 laptop. It tells the xrands there are multiple monitors, where they are connected and where they are placed with regard to each other. This sets up Xorg to treat them as one surface, and the window system can work with one DISPLAY. Try it out, it will not fry your hardware and even good old twm should work with it. Of course you need to adjust the port names, the resolutions and maybe the placement.

This is for a single GPU i915 laptop. It tells the xrands there are multiple monitors, where they are connected and where they are placed with regard to each other. This sets up Xorg to treat them as one surface, and the window system can work with one DISPLAY. Try it out, it will not fry your hardware and even good old twm should work with it. Of course you need to adjust the port names, the resolutions and maybe the placement.

My configuration is different. I have 3 gpus. Does it make sense for me ?

As u can see here,I have only the DP-0 connected. the HDMI-0 is disconnected. Your script assumes that there at least two connected monitors,LVDS-1 and DP-1. Can't work. mmm.

Code:
# xrandr -q

Screen 0: minimum 8 x 8, current 1920 x 1080, maximum 32767 x 32767
DVI-D-0 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
DP-0 connected 1920x1080+0+0 (normal left inverted right x axis y axis) 598mm x 336mm
1920x1080     60.00*+  59.94    50.00
1680x1050     59.95
1440x900      59.89
1280x1024     75.02    60.02
1280x960      60.00
1280x720      60.00    59.94    50.00
1024x768      75.03    70.07    60.00
800x600       75.00    72.19    60.32    56.25
720x576       50.00
720x480       59.94
640x480       75.00    72.81    59.94    59.93
DP-1 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
HDMI-0 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
DP-2 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
DP-3 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
DP-4 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
DP-5 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)

ok according with my values,I tried this :

Code:
#!/bin/sh
xrandr --output DP-0 --auto --rotate normal --pos  0x0 --output HDMI-0 --auto --rotate normal --right-of DP-0 --output HDMI-0 --auto --rotate normal --right-of DP-0

nothing is happened. totally nothing.

Nope is not enough. I've just tried it. Man,can I ask you a little favor ? can you read some of the old messages ? I really dislike that you scold me because In your opinion I shouldn't do (or I should do) something,but you make a mistake,because the task that I should do,I have usually already tried it,but you can't know this,because you usually don't read at all the old messages. So,in your eyes I'm someone that does not want to follow the suggestions,but this is not true. I've already followed the suggestions that have been given to me,when you weren't connected here. After having said that,I have already tried without xorg.conf and with the small xorg.conf written by SirDice but it didn't work.

If the small config starts up Nvidia xorg on one monitor it works.
The rest is to be done in xorg.
Please try with windows or Linux to see if both monitors work.

Back