How to use two screens at the same time while I'm using FreeBSD.

tanis : I've got the 6 pin power cable just today. I've used the old xorg.conf file used before and I've got the same exact situation as before. The only 2 apps which can be directed to the secondary screen is :

Code:
[marietto@marietto ~]$ export DISPLAY=:0.1 ; chrome (firefox can be displayed only on the screen 0 : dunno why)

and

Code:
[marietto@marietto ~]$ export DISPLAY=:0.1 ; konsole

xinerama does not work,it freezes the mouse.

SirDice : I'm still working on this issue. I've found an old post with the user that has the same exact problem like mine,but he fixed it using two nvidia graphic cards,as you can read here :

but I cannot. Here I read what's the real problem :

in the old post you didn't find a solution,you found only a workaround. Unfortunately in my case I can't use two nvidia cards,for the reasons that I have explained. This oblige me to find a different solution,I would say a solution that can modify the wrong libraries,removing,changing them. Do you have this level of competence ?

I have not followed this thread at all--perhaps I should read through it--but I've been running with two monitors on FreeBSD for 15 years or so with one, older, two port nVidia card. It's quick and easy to set up so I don't understand the issue.

I have not followed this thread at all--perhaps I should read through it--but I've been running with two monitors on FreeBSD for 15 years or so with one, older, two port nVidia card. It's quick and easy to set up so I don't understand the issue.

yeah,it seems that using two nvidia cards works. But my scenario is different. I can't use two nvidia cards. I'm obliged to use one intel gpu and one nvidia gpu because I use massively the bhyve virtual machines,so I can't use the 2080 ti as secondary nor primary gpu. the rest of my gpus are intel and nvidia. So,I need to understand and find a solution to create a cooperation between intel and nvidia gpus.

Dual (or more) monitor set up with one NVidia graphics card was (and still is) fairly easy to set up (TwinView).

this could be an idea. And anyway,this is your second workaround :p It seems that you like to find workarounds. Now I should only hope that my 1060 supports two monitors...

It's not a workaround, TwinView was part of the NVidia driver for as long as I can remember. Even before Xinerama (that has it's own issues). Splitting up the configuration using two (or more) graphics cards and two (or more) screens (not displays!) was always finicky, especially if they're different video cards. The two screen set up works but you can't move a window from one screen to the other, so it has a bunch of quirks too.

Your best bet in getting this working (reliably and without much issues) is to connect both monitors to the same video card.

It's not a workaround, TwinView was part of the NVidia driver for as long as I can remember. Even before Xinerama (that has it's own issues). Splitting up the configuration using two (or more) graphics cards and two (or more) screens (not displays!) was always finicky. The two screen set up works but you can't move a window from one screen to the other, so it has a bunch of issues too.

Your best bet in getting this working (reliably and without much issues) is to connect both monitors to the same video card.

I think it is subjective question. In my opinion the real problem is structural. If there are some libraries that interferes in the collaboration between the nvidia driver and the intel driver,that's the "real" problem. And the solution is to make the libraries which belong to each gpu,"indipendent" from each other.

I think it is subjective question. In my opinion the real problem is structural. If there are some libraries that interferes in the collaboration between the nvidia driver and the intel driver,that's the "real" problem. And the solution is to make the libraries which belong to each gpu,"indipendent" from each other.
Back in the early days the NVidia driver actually replaced some Xorg libraries. Nowadays this is solved by clever use of libmap.conf(5). Doesn't change the fact Xorg itself may not like having two different video cards working simultaneously.

Back in the early days the NVidia driver actually replaced some Xorg libraries. Nowadays this is solved by clever use of libmap.conf(5). Doesn't change the fact Xorg itself may not like having two different video cards working simultaneously.

1) Clever use of libmap.conf(5) : what it means ? what to do pratically ?
2) Xorg itself may not like having two different video cards working simultaneously : ok,which kind of problems may occours ?

1) Clever use of libmap.conf(5) : what it means ?
The NVidia driver uses a modified version of libEGL.so for example. Xorg (well, mesa actually) supplies the exact same library but the NVidia driver requires the NVidia modified version. Back in the olden days the NVidia driver installation would simply overwrite/replace the Xorg libEGL.so. It's not allowed to do this anymore (one package overwriting another package's files is not allowed). This was solved by saving the NVidia modified version of libEGL.so as NVidia-libEGL.so and configuring libmap.conf(5) accordingly. Now, if the Nvidia driver requests to load libEGL.so it actually loads NVidia-libEGL.so (because of the mappings in libmap.conf(5)).

Can you give a look at this xorg.conf file ? I've tried to configure it to attach two monitors to the same graphic card (gtx 1060). If you see some error,please tell me. thanks.

Code:
Section "ServerFlags"
    Option "AutoAddDevices" "False"
    Option "AllowEmptyInput" "False"
EndSection

Section "ServerLayout"
    Identifier     "Layout0"
    Screen      0  "Screen0" 1920 0
    Screen      1  "Screen1" RightOf "Screen0"
    InputDevice    "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
    InputDevice    "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
   #Option         "Xinerama" "1"
EndSection

Section "Files"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier     "Mouse0"
    Driver         "mouse"
    Option         "Protocol" "auto"
    Option         "Device" "/dev/psaux"
    Option         "Emulate3Buttons" "no"
    Option         "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier     "Keyboard0"
    Driver         "kbd"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
    Identifier     "Monitor0"
    VendorName     "Unknown"
    ModelName      "AOC"
    HorizSync       30.0 - 83.0
    VertRefresh     55.0 - 75.0
    Option         "DPMS"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
    Identifier     "Monitor1"
    VendorName     "Unknown"
    ModelName      "Samsung SyncMaster"
    HorizSync       30.0 - 83.0
    VertRefresh     55.0 - 75.0
    Option         "DPMS"
EndSection

Section "Device"
    Option         "UseDisplayDevice" "DFP-1"
    Identifier     "Device0"
    Driver         "nvidia"
    VendorName     "NVIDIA Corporation"
    BoardName      "GeForce GTX 1060"
    BusID          "PCI:1:0:0"
    Screen          0
EndSection

Section "Screen"
    Identifier     "Screen0"
    Device         "Device0"
    Monitor        "Monitor0"
    DefaultDepth    24
    Option         "TwinView" "0"
    Option         "metamodes" "1920x1080 +0+0; nvidia-auto-select +0+0"
    SubSection     "Display"
        Depth       24
    EndSubSection
EndSection

Section "Screen"
    Identifier     "Screen1"
    Device         "Device1"
    Monitor        "Monitor1"
    DefaultDepth    24
    Option         "TwinView" "0"
    Option         "metamodes" "CRT: nvidia-auto-select +0+0"
    SubSection     "Display"
        Depth       24
    EndSubSection
EndSection

I've tried to configure it to attach two monitors to the same graphic card (gtx 1060).
Yeah, remove the whole thing. Only save the driver section as /usr/local/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/nvidia-driver.conf:
Code:
Section "Device"
    Identifier     "Device0"
    Driver         "nvidia"
    BoardName      "GeForce GTX 1060"
    BusID          "PCI:1:0:0"
EndSection
You have to supply a BusID here because you have more than one card available to the system.

It didn't work. The 1060 has one only HDMI port and there I have attached the Samsung Synchmaster monitor. I've attached the AOC monitor to the DisplayPort of the 1060. The result is that the Synchmaster monitor didn't turn on. Below you can read the log file :

That's not what I have. I have one 9600 card with two ports on it. I just plug a monitor into each port and run nvidia-config and it all works.

You replied to my old post. Can you give a look at the next ? I've attached my two monitors to the HDMI / DisplayPort ports of the 1060 but the samsung monitor didn't turn on.

That's not what I have. I have one 9600 card with two ports on it. I just plug a monitor into each port and run nvidia-config and it all works.

this is the file generated by nvidia-xconfig,but it does not seem good. Inside of it I see only one monitor (but I have two) and no BUSID on the driver section.

Code:
# nvidia-xconfig: X configuration file generated by nvidia-xconfig

# nvidia-xconfig:  version 470.86

Section "ServerLayout"

Identifier     "Layout0"

Screen      0  "Screen0"

InputDevice    "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"

InputDevice    "Mouse0" "CorePointer"

EndSection

Section "Files"

EndSection

Section "InputDevice"

# generated from default

Identifier     "Mouse0"

Driver         "mouse"

Option         "Protocol" "auto"

Option         "Device" "/dev/sysmouse"

Option         "Emulate3Buttons" "no"

Option         "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"

EndSection

Section "InputDevice"

# generated from default

Identifier     "Keyboard0"

Driver         "keyboard"

EndSection

Section "Monitor"

Identifier     "Monitor0"

VendorName     "Unknown"

ModelName      "Unknown"

Option         "DPMS"

EndSection

Section "Device"

Identifier     "Device0"

Driver         "nvidia"

EndSection

Section "Screen"

Identifier     "Screen0"

Device         "Device0"

Monitor        "Monitor0"

DefaultDepth    24

SubSection     "Display"

Depth       24

EndSubSection

EndSection

I see some progress anyway :

Code:
# xrandr -q

Screen 0: minimum 8 x 8, current 1920 x 1080, maximum 32767 x 32767
DVI-D-0 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
DP-0 connected 1920x1080+0+0 (normal left inverted right x axis y axis) 598mm x 336mm
1920x1080     60.00*+  59.94    50.00
1680x1050     59.95
1440x900      59.89
1280x1024     75.02    60.02
1280x960      60.00
1280x720      60.00    59.94    50.00
1024x768      75.03    70.07    60.00
800x600       75.00    72.19    60.32    56.25
720x576       50.00
720x480       59.94
640x480       75.00    72.81    59.94    59.93

DP-1 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
HDMI-0 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
DP-2 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
DP-3 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
DP-4 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
DP-5 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)

DP-0 is AOC monitor and the 1060 ; HDMI-0 is Samsung SynchMaster and the 1060,but it is disconnected. why ?

The NVidia driver uses a modified version of libEGL.so for example. Xorg (well, mesa actually) supplies the exact same library but the NVidia driver requires the NVidia modified version. Back in the olden days the NVidia driver installation would simply overwrite/replace the Xorg libEGL.so. It's not allowed to do this anymore (one package overwriting another package's files is not allowed). This was solved by saving the NVidia modified version of libEGL.so as NVidia-libEGL.so and configuring libmap.conf(5) accordingly. Now, if the Nvidia driver requests to load libEGL.so it actually loads NVidia-libEGL.so (because of the mappings in libmap.conf(5)).

Having said that,is there a solution which allows to use an intel gpu and one gpu nvidia at the same time ?

is there a solution which allows to use an intel gpu and one gpu nvidia at the same time ?
I honestly don't know. Because this was already a problem in the past I've always avoided such scenarios.

Right now, I have nothing in /etc/X11 and in /usr/local/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/driver-nvidia.conf there is only this:
Section "Device" Identifier "Card0" Driver "nvidia" EndSection

Honestly, it's been months since I reinstalled FreeBSD on this system and am not sure if I needed to run xconfig but my memory is going on me.

I have not been able to get the onboard Intel graphics to work with my nvidia card either but I didn't try too hard years ago.

Looks like our forums gets more and more a play field and sanctuary for the elderly among us. Please be nice to them while trying to be patient.

Back